Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2021, 08:11:05 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 12:19:37 AM
Should never have apologised

#jesuisRTE
#jesuistherighttocallgodarapist

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/archbishop-denounces-rt%C3%A9-nye-show-s-satirical-report-accusing-god-of-rape-1.4448391
Why not, Sid?
The sole object of the exercise was to offend te religious beliefs of possibly the majority people on the island. By all accounts, the show had no cultural or artistic merit and causing extreme offence to the general public for no apparent reason isn't. IMO, enough reason to say Mac Grianna's "skit" shouldn't have been banned. He's a lucky hoor he doesn't live in Paris or he might have suffered the same fate as the Charlie Hebdo editor did when he decided t give the two fingers tp fundamentalist Muslims.
Them bastards are mad enough already without any eejit trying to stir them up.
Remember 2015 when David Quinn and the I Own Her Institute were all over #jesuischarlie and "free speech"?

Why not now?

sid waddell

Quote from: trailer on January 09, 2021, 09:37:24 AM
Quote from: Gmac on October 30, 2020, 01:47:20 PM
Bret Favre and Jack Nicklaus for endorsing DJT

Nicklaus was a w**ker long before he endorsed Trump, that just confirmed it.
As an aside Trump is everything that is wrong with Golf.
A few weeks back when Peter Alliss died I was watching his sublime commentary on Tiger Woods' chip in at the 16th at Augusta in 2005

I remembered that contrary to popular legend, that shot did not prove decisive in the tournament and that Woods lost the two shot lead he had after the 16th and was taken to a play off

The play off was against Chris DiMarco - Woods won the play off

DiMarco wasn't heard of much after that and I decided to do a quick Netscape about what he was up to now

I probably shouldn't have gone down that rabbit hole - because after clicking into Chris's Twitter, it quickly became apparent that he has gone down a very, very deep rabbit hole of his own, a far right one, one so far right that if he played the 12th at Augusta now, his tee shot would end up on the 13th fairway

Lar Naparka

Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 10:48:05 AM

#jesuisRTE

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/archbishop-denounces-rt%C3%A9-nye-show-s-satirical-report-accusing-god-of-rape-1.4448391
Why not, Sid?
The sole object of the exercise was to offend te religious beliefs of possibly the majority people on the island. By all accounts, the show had no cultural or artistic merit and causing extreme offence to the general public for no apparent reason isn't. IMO, enough reason to say Mac Grianna's "skit" shouldn't have been banned. He's a lucky hoor he doesn't live in Paris or he might have suffered the same fate as the Charlie Hebdo editor did when he decided t give the two fingers tp fundamentalist Muslims.
Remember 2015 when David Quinn and the I Own Her Institute were all over #jesuischarlie and "free speech"?

Why not now?

If I were to walk up to the local bully and tell him he's a thundering bollox, the least I could expect is a belt on the nose or a kick up the hole. Telling him it's my right to offend anyone I want to will probably do no good.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sid waddell

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2021, 11:47:57 AM

#jesuisRTE

Why not, Sid?

Why not now?

If I were to walk up to the local bully and tell him he's a thundering bollox, the least I could expect is a belt on the nose or a kick up the hole. Telling him it's my right to offend anyone I want to will probably do no good.
Isn't that the same logic that holds "what did Manuela Riedo expect to happen when she walked along that deserted path beside the railway line"?

The George Hook logic

Why were David Quinn and the I Own Her Institute all over #jesuischarlie and "free speech" in 2015?

And why are they the exact opposite now?

Gmac

Quote from: trailer on January 09, 2021, 09:37:24 AM
Quote from: Gmac on October 30, 2020, 01:47:20 PM
Bret Favre and Jack Nicklaus for endorsing DJT

Nicklaus was a w**ker long before he endorsed Trump, that just confirmed it.
As an aside Trump is everything that is wrong with Golf.
his charities have raised more than $125m and their charity also have children's hospitals in the US and have provided health care to kids in 120 countries internationally, nothing compared to what your doing do I'm sure .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 12:02:29 PM

#jesuisRTE

Why not, Sid?

Why not now?

Isn't that the same logic that holds "what did Manuela Riedo expect to happen when she walked along that deserted path beside the railway line"?

The George Hook logic

Why were David Quinn and the I Own Her Institute all over #jesuischarlie and "free speech" in 2015?

With due respect, I fail to see any connection, logical or otherwise, between Ms. Riedo setting out to walk home and Fungus Mac Grianna deliberately intending to cause widespread to others. The answer to your question is obvious- she certainly didn't expect the fate that awaited her. Mac Grianna knew full well that he was going to offend others.
Dunno nothing about #jesuischarlie and googling for it didn;t enlighten me very much.
PS I have no problem with  the  skit presenters exercising their right to free speech but, by that logic, I see no reason why those who were offended should not exercise their right to object strongly
also.
The problem about the exercise of freedom of speech is that in theory it's fine but that isn't always the case in practice.

RedHand88

gallsman

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 09, 2021, 03:23:43 PM

#jesuisRTE

Bollocks. If Trump or anyone in the GOP said this about Islam you'd be all over it like a rash.

Horseshit. One is satire, one is flat out hate speech.

Gmac

Quote from: gallsman on January 09, 2021, 03:48:15 PM

#jesuisRTE

Bollocks. If Trump or anyone in the GOP said this about Islam you'd be all over it like a rash.

i don't think devout Catholics will be be heading anyone over the insults though .

sid waddell

#jesuisRTE

I would, and rightly so

Motive is everything, when members of the Republican party go on about Islam they do it to foment generalised race hatred, they are a Nazi party

I presume you boycott Father Ted given it makes fun of religion

I presume you were also up in arms about what Stephen Fry said about God to Gay Byrne a few years back

It's not that long since there Holy Josephines in the Late Late Show audience talking about God's Law trying to defend to the covering up of paedophilia in the Catholic Church

Mad that "Christians" are taking this as a personal insult given Jesus was a Jew

There are so many holes in the right-wing "free speech" grift it's hilarious

Almost like none of them believe a single word they say

sid waddell

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2021, 03:16:21 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 09, 2021, 12:02:29 PM

#jesuisRTE

Why not, Sid?

Why not now?

The George Hook logic

With due respect, I fail to see any connection, logical or otherwise, between Ms. Riedo setting out to walk home and Fungus Mac Grianna deliberately intending to cause widespread to others. The answer to your question is obvious- she certainly didn't expect the fate that awaited her. Mac Grianna knew full well that he was going to offend others.
Dunno nothing about #jesuischarlie and googling for it didn;t enlighten me very much.
PS I have no problem with  the  skit presenters exercising their right to free speech but, by that logic, I see no reason why those who were offended should not exercise their right to object strongly
also.
The problem about the exercise of freedom of speech is that in theory it's fine but that isn't always the case in practice.

I don't see any connection between the murder of Manuela Riedo and an RTE sketch either - but then I don't see how your previous post was anything to do with the issue at hand

It seemed like an answer that had been dropped in mistakenly from another thread or something, it didn't make sense - nevertheless I ran with the logic of what you said - for some reason you created a hypothetical situation where a victim stood up to a bully and got assaulted - you seemed to blame the hypothetical victim

I referenced the murder of Manuela Riedo because it seemed relevant to the logic of your previous answer, which seemed to be that victims of assault deserve it - or that people have a responsibility to make sure they are not victims of a crime - they don't - it's the potential criminal's responsibility to make sure they don't commit a crime

Again, not sure any of that has to do with this sketch, but anyways

The sketch was done to offend others

So what

Offence is part of comedy

The issue arises when deliberate offence turns into hate speech, and I'm not sure how satirising God as a rapist is hate speech

The reason I've brought this up is that the self-styled Catholic right and their media "representatives" like the I Own Her Institute (I call them such as an insult designed to offend) have spent years as self-styled "free speech" grifters

This pro-"free speech" grifting seems to include defences of every sort of generalised hate speech and the right to make such

Six years ago they were defending the right of Charlie Hebdo to publish stuff that many Muslims in France saw as generalised race/sectarian hatred - I haven't read enough of Charlie Hebdo nor am I fluent enough in French to say whether that is indeed the case

But I know after the massacre of Charlie Hebdo staff, there were huge marches to defend the right of Charlie Hebdo and other to publish material many saw as offensive, thoroughly supported by the free speech grifters like I Own Her

#jesuischarlie hashtags were everywhere

Yet now The I Own Her Institute are all over this RTE sketch calling it blasphemous, a disgrace and shrieking that it be censored - this does not compute compared to their previous utterings

It seems like they have one rule for hate speech against everybody else and a different rule entirely for comedy sketches which ridicule anything close to their hearts

Rudi

Quote from: Gmac on January 09, 2021, 03:55:02 PM

#jesuisRTE

i don't think devout Catholics will be be heading anyone over the insults though .

Satire is meant to be funny, this was horseshit. 10 year olds up watching the countdown to new positive new year, watching that pure and utter scutter. Thankfully I was on Netflix.

sid waddell

Quote from: Rudi on January 09, 2021, 06:18:52 PM
Quote from: Gmac on January 09, 2021, 03:55:02 PM

#jesuisRTE

Satire is meant to be funny, this was horseshit. 10 year olds up watching the countdown to new positive new year, watching that pure and utter scutter. Thankfully I was on Netflix.
Whether you found it funny or not is totally and utterly irrelevant

I don't find Mrs. Brown's Boys remotely funny but I'm not howling for it to be censored

Rossfan

RTÉ should be apologising for 60 years of absolute disasters of "comedies".
I wonder can the Mods ban Sid as I'm fed up seeing pages full of blocked posts?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2021, 06:30:42 PM
RTÉ should be apologising for 60 years of absolute disasters of "comedies".
I wonder can the Mods ban Sid as I'm fed up seeing pages full of blocked posts?
???
What has Sid done to upset you? He may be exercising his constitutional right to free speech even oif you don't agree with him, or in my case, I don't know wtf he is trying to say.
Defend Democracy!