Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getevennotcross

Quote from: podge on October 26, 2014, 06:49:09 PM
Quote from: getevennotcross on October 26, 2014, 06:00:59 PM
Quote from: podge on October 26, 2014, 04:42:05 PM
Seriously, is this the best ulster council can produce as a ref for for the showpiece club match in the province? Riddled with baffling and inconsistent calls.

Could have cost cushendall the game. Shouldn't let the fact that cushendall won gloss over the ineptitude. Otherwise they will keep appointing boys like this.

Should have brought Cody along - he would have some laugh.
woeful and dour stuff no question. Seriously reflects on the serious poor standard of hurling referees in Ulster. Pity a Derry team were playing today against the Dall, I am sure E. Hasson would have got the nod., possibly get the final.  He is probably the only decent referee we have had in Ulster this last number of years, the rest in Ulster and Antrim included have been extremely poor imo.

The game today was poor also. I think this referee was afraid that it may have boiled over. Some very inconsistent whistle blowing. Dall have still not impressed,but I suppose they will be happy with the result regardless.

Have Antrim any up and comig referees worth watching?  Our current stock and those in recent years have not been up to much, thankless job though which may be of influence.  Good luck to the Dall anyway. I think Ulster will be as far as it goes on current form.

Nothing wrong with the standard in Antrim IMHO. All today and the last did day did was highlight that once you go outside of the Antrim leagues its a struggle as to where to go.

Thought the dall did well in the second half when they looked like they might be in trouble. Subs made an impact; defense was strong.
PersonallyI though they laboured in the first half against what I thought was a more tenacious physical effort by Sneil. Certainly look suspect under their own puck outs and that of the oposition, caught out the same way last day. Granted, Dall defence in 2nd half had a lot more shape about it. The two goals were as a result of fundamental mistakes by Sneil, but I thought the penalty in 2nd half was harsh. Dall, still have a fair bit of work to do if you ask me. They may very well win Ulster, which you would half expect, beyond that I am not convinced.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: getevennotcross on October 26, 2014, 06:18:39 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2014, 06:07:21 PM
Quote from: getevennotcross on October 26, 2014, 06:00:59 PM
Quote from: podge on October 26, 2014, 04:42:05 PM
Seriously, is this the best ulster council can produce as a ref for for the showpiece club match in the province? Riddled with baffling and inconsistent calls.

Could have cost cushendall the game. Shouldn't let the fact that cushendall won gloss over the ineptitude. Otherwise they will keep appointing boys like this.

Should have brought Cody along - he would have some laugh.
woeful and dour stuff no question. Seriously reflects on the serious poor standard of hurling referees in Ulster. Pity a Derry team were playing today against the Dall, I am sure E. Hasson would have got the nod., possibly get the final.  He is probably the only decent referee we have had in Ulster this last number of years, the rest in Ulster and Antrim included have been extremely poor imo.

The game today was poor also. I think this referee was afraid that it may have boiled over. Some very inconsistent whistle blowing. Dall have still not impressed,but I suppose they will be happy with the result regardless.

Have Antrim any up and comig referees worth watching?  Our current stock and those in recent years have not been up to much, thankless job though which may be of influence.  Good luck to the Dall anyway. I think Ulster will be as far as it goes on current form.

Have you put up a constructive meaningful debate in any of your posts?  Dark cloud, I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll get attention elsewhere
Just expressing a point of view. I am not expecting the county board to read the comments because of   all the enthralling and positive comments, which are being made by contributors. You never know, they may actually read the comments and become inspired?

Get involved with your club become a committee man then go for election within county board. Stop talking about it and do something positive.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

blueblood

MR2 I'd say his club if he has one now are glad he's on here! Sounds as though you have a lot of unfinished business GENC out there. You should become an accessor or even a ghost writer for some of the papers out there? Plumbing doesn't seem to be extending you.

Na Glinntí Glasa

well done to rossa and Cushendall yesterday.

was over at the Cushendall match. it was never going to be as good as the drawn game two weeks ago. the game was pretty disappointing for a neutral. Cushendall were the better team but only just. I think they need serious improvement for the final and after that if they are serious about making a dent in the south. they closed the Sneill midfield completely out and nullified chrissy mckaigue out of the game. that gave them the upper hand.

paddy mc naughton hurled well as did Karl McKeagan. also thought shane mc naughton played well when he came on. he offered a lot more threat than his younger brother who was hooked off.

now for the ref. not good, not good at all. he nearly ruined the game in the first half. I was starting to get pissed off with him and his stupid calls and the bookings he handed out. not one booking for either team was justified. you go to an all Ireland final and its blood and thunder hurling, tough as hell, yet the appoint someone who blows every pointless tackle up. it was the same as the drawn game. if the ulster council have any serious ideas about promoting hurling in the 9 counties (which we all know they don't) then appoint someone who has actually been to a hurling match!

also the sneill fans need to go on a learner course as well lol I was stood amongst them and they were roaring for fouls the entire match and moaning about tackles that wouldn't of been a foul in an U14 game. it was the same in the drawn game, something which I debated with a mate that caused the ref to send Shane off that last day.
hurl like f**k boi!

podge

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 27, 2014, 09:03:37 AM
well done to rossa and Cushendall yesterday.

was over at the Cushendall match. it was never going to be as good as the drawn game two weeks ago. the game was pretty disappointing for a neutral. Cushendall were the better team but only just. I think they need serious improvement for the final and after that if they are serious about making a dent in the south. they closed the Sneill midfield completely out and nullified chrissy mckaigue out of the game. that gave them the upper hand.

paddy mc naughton hurled well as did Karl McKeagan. also thought shane mc naughton played well when he came on. he offered a lot more threat than his younger brother who was hooked off.

now for the ref. not good, not good at all. he nearly ruined the game in the first half. I was starting to get pissed off with him and his stupid calls and the bookings he handed out. not one booking for either team was justified. you go to an all Ireland final and its blood and thunder hurling, tough as hell, yet the appoint someone who blows every pointless tackle up. it was the same as the drawn game. if the ulster council have any serious ideas about promoting hurling in the 9 counties (which we all know they don't) then appoint someone who has actually been to a hurling match!

also the sneill fans need to go on a learner course as well lol I was stood amongst them and they were roaring for fouls the entire match and moaning about tackles that wouldn't of been a foul in an U14 game. it was the same in the drawn game, something which I debated with a mate that caused the ref to send Shane off that last day.

couldn't agree more. 

In fairness to Cdall in particular, they seemed to keep relatively calm in the face of some hideous calls, which started 10 secs into the game when he blew mc manus for daring to tackle for ball.  that set the tone.

imtommygunn

In the second half the ball was pucked out and McManus had his back to it so jumped in the air with his arms ,when he was facing the other way, waving about to block the Slaughtneil guy's view. Is this a foul?? (It worked BTW but a foul was then blown)

(Ref was very poor might I add. Let too many high challenges go unpunished and at times seemed to lack a general understanding of the game)

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 27, 2014, 09:56:12 AM
In the second half the ball was pucked out and McManus had his back to it so jumped in the air with his arms ,when he was facing the other way, waving about to block the Slaughtneil guy's view. Is this a foul?? (It worked BTW but a foul was then blown)

(Ref was very poor might I add. Let too many high challenges go unpunished and at times seemed to lack a general understanding of the game)

yeah that one had my aul boy in stiches beside me. I couldn't believe he blew that up. is it a foul? im not sure at all. he never touched the man nor shouted at him. was it gamesmanship? probably, but a foul, im not sure.

also the ref blew a foul to Sneill in the second half after playing advantage for about 5 secs and then blew the whistle and brought it back for the foul. there is no advantage rule in hurling as far as I know. the ref plays advantage to keep the game flowing, which IMO shows a good referee knowing the game. but to stop and come back was utter nonsense.
hurl like f**k boi!

Gizzy15

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 27, 2014, 11:11:05 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 27, 2014, 09:56:12 AM

yeah that one had my aul boy in stiches beside me. I couldn't believe he blew that up. is it a foul? im not sure at all. he never touched the man nor shouted at him. was it gamesmanship? probably, but a foul, im not sure.

also the ref blew a foul to Sneill in the second half after playing advantage for about 5 secs and then blew the whistle and brought it back for the foul. there is no advantage rule in hurling as far as I know. the ref plays advantage to keep the game flowing, which IMO shows a good referee knowing the game. but to stop and come back was utter nonsense.

I think it can be given as a foul, as the player is making no attempt to play the ball nor facing in the direction of the ball while attempting to gain an advantage for him and his team. basically acting as an obstruction. but very rarely given especially when the ball is dropping in the square in a crowd there are only ever a few making an attempt to play the ball and the rest of the players are usually trying to put their opponent off.

Na Glinntí Glasa

to be fair if I was a ref I would of given it as a foul.

over the two games I thought Cdall got the rough end with regards to the fouls against them. im all up for a ref from cavan or monaghan getting the big games in the ulster hurling but they have got to be up to speed and used to high level games. E Hasson is one of the best that ive had to deal with. yes he may call some bad ones, all refs do, but hes good at letting the game flow and works well with the players
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Over the course of the game from the refereeing perspective, I felt like I was watching a rugby match i.e. On too many occasions I and many around me had no clue what the fouls were being blown for. Cushendall shaded the soft free count I thought, but poor marksmanship kept the baloobas in the hunt, but they never threatened enough up front especially in front of goal. In the championship St Galls are the only side to score a major against them. They looked to have a fairly pragmatic philosophy that's based around this resolute backline. Game plan seems to be work hard to build a lead then load the back line (O Campbell dropping back and 3/4 line moving way out) in the second half to suffocate the opposition whilst making use of the extra space created to pick off handy scores which Shane did well. Loughgiel have been successful with similar tactics this past few years. You need the right personnel to make it work, so credit to Cushendall for being able to do it. Graffin was sublime again and the stand out player for me. Does he ever get cleaned out?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

I don't think ive ever seen him getting torn apart at club level, hes one of the best defenders in antrim IMO and probably one of the toughest man markers about.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hurler24

Does anyone know who the two relegated teams from Div 1 are this year and who is replacing them?

maxpower

AFAIK Sarsfields and Ballygalget down, Rossa and Clooney Gaels up!
What happens next????

Na Glinntí Glasa

yeah both of them are up this year. def a good couple of years in cloney with regards to hurling. they have done serious work in their club to get there.

they are now a top dual club with teams in div 1 hurling and football, which is no easy feat to keep up.
hurl like f**k boi!

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Sham Man on October 27, 2014, 02:33:02 PM
Disappointing to witness some Dunloy, Town and my own club men cheering on Sneil. Well I suppose that's to be expected at times.  Fair play to the Dall though, 2nd half seemed a lot more composed and sticking to their game plan.  Anyone know where the final is being played, I heard Armagh is an option?

Well done Rossa also, probably not where they want to be, but all part of the building process and bigger picture.
Owenbeg is confirmed