Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueblood

Christ it's Wilfred Owen!!!! Poinient In some respects.

Sleeping giant

Anyone care to talk about hurling? What's the best county team we can put out for this years league. Forgetting lads that isn't there for whatever reason. Best team from what we know we can choose from. And what's the best achievement this year.  Same as others? Try and stay up? And win at least one championship match? Or is this or is this not the 3rd year of the 3 year plan.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 13, 2014, 04:24:55 PM
Anyone care to talk about hurling? What's the best county team we can put out for this years league. Forgetting lads that isn't there for whatever reason. Best team from what we know we can choose from. And what's the best achievement this year.  Same as others? Try and stay up? And win at least one championship match? Or is this or is this not the 3rd year of the 3 year plan.

Expect a bit of PR spin if anyone dares question the outcome of that.
In reality it's now or never for Ryan & Antrim since we'll not be waiting on players returning from club duty with Cushendall beaten.
I don't see much new blood coming from Belfast at least. McKernan from Sarsfields is a player I would like to see more of.

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 13, 2014, 05:35:45 PM
Expect a bit of PR spin if anyone dares question the outcome of that.
In reality it's now or never for Ryan & Antrim since we'll not be waiting on players returning from club duty with Cushendall beaten.
I don't see much new blood coming from Belfast at least. McKernan from Sarsfields is a player I would like to see more of.

And what will you define as success btdtgtt?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Promotion from division 2 OR a taking a major scalp in the leinster championship. 

That said, I don't expect either - and I wouldn't blame Ryan. I've made the point before that if our team performs well or badly there's not much difference in terms of outcome.
Good or bad preparation = We'll be neither promoted nor relegated from Division2 and after the predictable round robin group it'll be defeat to the first major team we meet.

It's the predictability that makes it not only boring but shows the folly of holding our club scene to ransom and inhibiting it for this annual procession.
Let the clubs play away with their full compliment - the outcome for the county won't be any different!
Except maybe over time the re-energised club season could yield dividends for the county!

Sorry if that was long-winded Skull.

hurlingstick

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 13, 2014, 06:54:26 PM
Promotion from division 2 OR a taking a major scalp in the leinster championship. 

That said, I don't expect either - and I wouldn't blame Ryan. I've made the point before that if our team performs well or badly there's not much difference in terms of outcome.
Good or bad preparation = We'll be neither promoted nor relegated from Division2 and after the predictable round robin group it'll be defeat to the first major team we meet.

It's the predictability that makes it not only boring but shows the folly of holding our club scene to ransom and inhibiting it for this annual procession.
Let the clubs play away with their full compliment - the outcome for the county won't be any different!
Except maybe over time the re-energised club season could yield dividends for the county!

Sorry if that was long-winded Skull.

Hard to argue with that!!

I reckon staying up in the second flight would be a start. If we get out of the round robin and beat a Leinster team then who knows? Hopefully we could put it up to another good team. We were slightly unlucky last year conceding early goals to Wexford. There really was very little between the sides apart from those crazy opening ten minutes. That Wexford team were also, arguably the surprise package of the championship.

Anyway I'll remain optimistic and positive, even though we will be trolled now by the usual dark clouds who believe it's all about their Club!

Sleeping giant

Club before county.all day long in my opinion.but that does not for 1 second mean I do not support and want my county to do well in every game. Regardless of who is playing. We really really need to put club hated aside if we're ever to get the best out of our up and coming stars. We've pace and power in the forwards. And IMO some sticky backs to mark anyone. just wish the childish shite would be put to bed.and yes there's more to fault than 1 lad.  But il bet now in years to come it will be regretted!!!!  Our best 15 anyone??

hurlingstick

Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 13, 2014, 07:30:04 PM
Club before county.all day long in my opinion.but that does not for 1 second mean I do not support and want my county to do well in every game. Regardless of who is playing. We really really need to put club hated aside if we're ever to get the best out of our up and coming stars. We've pace and power in the forwards. And IMO some sticky backs to mark anyone. just wish the childish shite would be put to bed.and yes there's more to fault than 1 lad.  But il bet now in years to come it will be regretted!!!!  Our best 15 anyone??

Chrissy, Graffin, Woody, Odhran, McNaughton, McAuley, McGreevey, Campbell,  McManus, McAfee, Shiels, McCloskey, Clarke, McCaughan, Benny

Sleeping giant

Benny??? Hasn't hurled as year.

Bonamargy

Quote from: hurlingstick on November 13, 2014, 07:40:58 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 13, 2014, 07:30:04 PM

Chrissy, Graffin, Woody, Odhran, McNaughton, McAuley, McGreevey, Campbell,  McManus, McAfee, Shiels, McCloskey, Clarke, McCaughan, Benny

More or less agree. Benny in Australia, so PJ O'Connell at 15

Sleeping giant

I'd go with
Ryan mc Garry
Martin burke graffin woody
Mc manus m auley paddy burke
Tony mc closkey Eoin campbell
Eddie mc closkey shorty carson
Clarke Carl Stewart mc kernan
Then there's another 8/10 lads fighting for there place.  Shane mc Naughton if fully fit and back to form, would give the younger brother another year.

Sleeping giant

hurlingstick

Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 13, 2014, 08:06:55 PM
I'd go with
Ryan mc Garry
Martin burke graffin woody
Mc manus m auley paddy burke
Tony mc closkey Eoin campbell
Eddie mc closkey shorty carson
Clarke Carl Stewart mc kernan
Then there's another 8/10 lads fighting for there place.  Shane mc Naughton if fully fit and back to form, would give the younger brother another year.

Yeah I'm aware of Benny's situation but rumours abound that he'll he home and he is my favourite player. Karl Stewart's best days behind him, Jackson McGreevy is the man. Intensity and ability. Kevin Ryan had him as U21 captain for that reason. He is only a kid and will get better and better.

SG, can't agree on Carson. Think he's poor

Sleeping giant

There are a lot of better stick men in the county.  I'd have him in my starting 15 for dropping puck outs on top of him. For Clarke pj Eddie shorty to feed of.

Sleeping giant

Another young hurler Id like to see more of is mc afee from c dall.puts in a massive shift when played.