Fuel Costs

Started by maddog, April 09, 2008, 10:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Bit of debate in work this morning about the price of fuel. Prices now about £1.05 for unleaded and £1.14 for diesel.
When it hit about 80p the truckers were blocking oil distribution depots, there was queues at the pumps miles long, everyone up in arms. Yet when the price broke the pound mark no one batted an eye lid. There doesnt seem to be much noise from the road haulage lobby etc now that its crept up another 14pence since. I wonder when the breaking point will come. Personally it doesnt make that much difference to me but there must be people crucified with this.
Some are blaming the price of oil on the demand created by China and India.

Any thoughts?

illdecide

I blame South Armagh :D (only messin)

It is def getting out of hand. £20 in the car hardly moves the needle now and there is one thing I'd like to know how come for years petrol was always a few pence more expensive than diesel but now petrol is about 8-9p a litre cheaper than diesel, what brought that about? Heating oil is the same i got 600l 2 weeks ago and it cost me £316 when will this get to the point where people start going back to coal or worse still "blankets"

I'm sure there are young people out there mortgaged to the hilt with cars and they are bound to feel the pinch!!!
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

doire na raithe

1.14 for a litre of diesel is cheap! its up close to 1.17 now. The general view I think is that the price of oil is artificially high at the moment and it should level off sometime over the next year. this doesnt mean prices will fall but there should be a slowdown in these sharp rises.

screenexile

Quote from: illdecide on April 09, 2008, 10:56:45 AM
I blame South Armagh :D (only messin)

It is def getting out of hand. £20 in the car hardly moves the needle now and there is one thing I'd like to know how come for years petrol was always a few pence more expensive than diesel but now petrol is about 8-9p a litre cheaper than diesel, what brought that about? Heating oil is the same i got 600l 2 weeks ago and it cost me £316 when will this get to the point where people start going back to coal or worse still "blankets"

I'm sure there are young people out there mortgaged to the hilt with cars and they are bound to feel the pinch!!!

I think it's because Unleaded is 'greener' than Diesel the tax on a litre of Unleaded is not as much as that on Diesel.

Yeah prices are crippling at the minute and I am definitely feeling it since the rise as I've started commuting by car this last few months. Unfortunately I can't see fuel prices dropping but hopefully when the review comes up I can ask for some mileage  ;D

Owenmoresider

€1.28 for diesel in Sligo now. Disgraceful, especially when the same diesel is only €1.24 in Carrick and €1.20 in Roscommon. >:(

Candyman

In Armagh its averaging 1.18/litre but sure the aul border is still putting it out at about 96p.... hard to beat!!! 8)

doire na raithe

Quote from: Candyman on April 09, 2008, 11:04:48 AM
In Armagh its averaging 1.18/litre but sure the aul border is still putting it out at about 96p.... hard to beat!!! 8)

Yes but even this has risensharply in the last 6 months. Now a litre is about €1.28 which is £1.02 with the strong euro. So thats £1.02 compared to £1.17, compare that to 6 months ago:

Diesel across the border was about €1.05 which cost you around £0.75!!!!!!!

Candyman

time to get the bicycles out then.....

doire na raithe

Hereiam

The reason for the diesel being more expensive is simple..... more people are driving diesel cars here so the government wants to make as much money off it as possible. Don't forget the fuel is cheap its the bloody taxes that are added on to it that push the price up. As for the truckers not blocking the roads, its simple the Iraq war is never out of the news and the public have just accepted that fuel prices are gona go up because of this, when in reality the war should have no effect on oil prices as the bulk of the worlds oil supply doesn't even come from here.

Bensars

I have a friend just back from holiday in Vegas, where the taxi driver was giving off about the price of petrol hitting $2 a Gallon !

doire na raithe

well thats not true for a start!

Average price of a gallon in america is $3.95.

Still outrageous. Thats $0.79 a litre of diesel which is £0.45 compared to our £1.16!!!!!

Another reason why the price of oil is so high is because since the recent crash in the markets, traders have been trading in 'safer' commodities such as oil so the demand has risen artificially due to this. This can also be seen in the rise on the price of gold.

amallon

Is it now more economical to drive a petrol car?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

doire na raithe

Must correct myself I was talking about diesel you were talking about petrol. Average price of a gallon of petrol is $3.33

doire na raithe

its looking like it, although somebody correct me if i'm wrong but i think the general view is diesel cars are better? last longer, hold value longer.