Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hectic

Yeah Casement is the only show in town so not worth wasting energy debating the alternatives.  Better to look at the positives - Motorways to the North and South, Large City venue that can be multi-purpose and of course plenty of accommodation should it be required.  Someone mentioned Antrim are not well supported - they are also not very successful either so this should be a positive as it means Casement is a neutral venue for all the big games.

From an Antrim point of view a 10k stadium would have done us nicely - better for home games than a half empty stadium but as I say Casement is the only show in town as far as this spend is concerned so we may as well just suck it up.

Walter Cronc

So if Donegal were to draw Dublin 'at home' in a Super 8 game, could you see the like of it in Casement? The Ulster Council might want all Ulster sides who get home games against the Dubs/Mayo/Kerry to play at Casement with the lure of adding to the coffers. It would leave county grounds as no more than white elephants. Another reason to sell off Celtic Park ;)

Hectic

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 02, 2017, 09:32:07 AM
So if Donegal were to draw Dublin 'at home' in a Super 8 game, could you see the like of it in Casement? The Ulster Council might want all Ulster sides who get home games against the Dubs/Mayo/Kerry to play at Casement with the lure of adding to the coffers. It would leave county grounds as no more than white elephants. Another reason to sell off Celtic Park ;)

So in that situation with no Casement would the Donegal 'home' game then be played at Clones?

illdecide

Would it not be the case if Donegal were drew at home to play Dublin the match would be in Donegal either Ballybofey or Letterkenny...Why would they give up home advantage, that doesn't make sense (no matter about the extra money a neutral venue would bring)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Walter Cronc

Quote from: illdecide on March 02, 2017, 11:59:45 AM
Would it not be the case if Donegal were drew at home to play Dublin the match would be in Donegal either Ballybofey or Letterkenny...Why would they give up home advantage, that doesn't make sense (no matter about the extra money a neutral venue would bring)

If you read my post Illdecide you'll see that I hypothetically suggested the Ulster Council might want it in Casement. Of course Donegal wouldn't want to give up home advantage!

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 02, 2017, 12:05:19 PM

If you read my post Illdecide you'll see that I hypothetically suggested the Ulster Council might want it in Casement. Of course Donegal wouldn't want to give up home advantage!

In a hypothetical world where Down can actually get to a Super 8 stage, I'd be pretty pissed off if the game wasn't in Newry.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 02, 2017, 12:06:22 PM

In a hypothetical world where Down can actually get to a Super 8 stage, I'd be pretty pissed off if the game wasn't in Newry.

In Derry we'd be delighted if it was in Casement :)

Something we'll not have to worry about for a few years anyway.

NAG1

If and when the stadium gets built, any high profile/ big gate will be in the new Casement regardless of the home preferences of the counties involved.

So for the foreseeable future Antrim's home ground will be hosting games not involving Antrim.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: NAG1 on March 02, 2017, 12:09:39 PM
If and when the stadium gets built, any high profile/ big gate will be in the new Casement regardless of the home preferences of the counties involved.

So for the foreseeable future Antrim's home ground will be hosting games not involving Antrim.

Exactly my point. It'll become Ulsters version of Croke Park. Pairc ui chaoimh will be the same. At least Casement looks good compared to that mess!

NAG1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 02, 2017, 12:17:25 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 02, 2017, 12:09:39 PM

Exactly my point. It'll become Ulsters version of Croke Park. Pairc ui chaoimh will be the same. At least Casement looks good compared to that mess!

But yet we Antrim people are being walked blindly through this to the Ulster Council's agenda.

armaghniac

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 02, 2017, 09:32:07 AM

I'm not sure if the county grounds could be considered white elephants on account of one game. And a super 8 against Tipperary would be in the county ground.
I'm not sure the GAA shoud get into the business of scheduling games where potential paying customers cannot get in, especially if they then put them only on foreign pay TV channels, it diminishes the sense of everyone being involved in the GAA which is one of its greatest strengths.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

Aye i know...FFS i'd bring the Dubs to Muff (Or i suppose Malin is further but doesn't sound as good)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

Quote from: illdecide on March 02, 2017, 04:01:21 PM

Aye i know...FFS i'd bring the Dubs to Muff (Or i suppose Malin is further but doesn't sound as good)

a trip to Muff is always a good option

trileacman

Quote from: hardstation on March 02, 2017, 05:23:25 PM
Casual observation. Quite a few wankers standing outside polling stations today, handing out propaganda.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Minder

Quote from: hardstation on March 02, 2017, 05:23:25 PM
Casual observation. Quite a few "Gaels for Casement" standing outside polling stations today, handing out Sinn Fein propaganda.

Yeah as I have said on this thread before, it's just a SF pressure group
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"