Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Marty is fooking woeful at boxing ( and many other things!!).

omagh_gael

Derry boxer Tyrone McCullagh in European semi-finals

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8729520.stm

Teenager Tyrone McCullagh has reached the semi-finals in Moscow

Derry's Tyrone McCullagh is sure of at least a bronze medal after winning his quarter-final at the European Amateur Championships in Moscow on Tuesday.
Nineteen-year-old McCullagh beat Azat Hovhannesyan of Armenia 6-3 on points in the 57kg featherweight category.

It was only McCullagh's second senior international fight.
Two other Irish boxers are sure of bronze - Olympic silver medallist Ken Egan in the light-heavyweight and Darren O'Neill in the middleweight.
McCullagh had earlier made a sparkling major championship debut by beating Moldovan Petr Apostol 13-2.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 09, 2010, 08:19:06 PM
Anyone watching the European Championships?

My cousin, Tyrone Mc Cullagh, secured his bronze medal today after beating ex European champ 6 -2. Marty Morrisey kept refering to him as a Donegal man when in fact he is a Derry city man boxing out of a Donegal club.

Fair play Tyrone and the other 4 lads who have secured medals for Ireland.

Sorry - but Marty's introduction to the last Andy Lee fight just summed him up as a gabshite! 'Me as a Munster Man, here in Limerick City .. for a son of Limerick ..' Bit like Angelas's Ashes without the intelligence - I'd say he's looking for a new career that one - perhaps the Brian Cody dressing down after the AIF was the final straw ..

Mario

Anyone for the Paul McCloskey fight tomorrow night? Will this Italian Lauri put up much of a showing? I wish McCloskeys career would move along a bit quicker.

magpie seanie

So at least 5 bronze medals at these European Championship. Its simply incredible. I think RTE should be showing these 5 fights live. Boxing and to a lesser extent rugby are the only international sports we are consistently challenging the very best at and look at the difference in TV coverage. It couldn't be a class thing could it....????

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 10, 2010, 02:47:03 PM
So at least 5 bronze medals at these European Championship. Its simply incredible. I think RTE should be showing these 5 fights live. Boxing and to a lesser extent rugby are the only international sports we are consistently challenging the very best at and look at the difference in TV coverage. It couldn't be a class thing could it....????

Agree, Ireland has a great pedigree in boxing, its the one sport where we actually stand a chnace on the world stage.  Even at pro level, the likes of Duddy & Lee, whatever you think of them, will probably get world title shots at some stage.  Ber-nard Dunne also a World champion in recent times and hopefully McCloskey can push on this Friday night.  Also, your guy, Big Bang Wilie Casey won the sky sports prize fighter the other week and looks a bit of a prospect.

Boxing in!!!!!!!
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

magpie seanie

Paddy Barnes won so guaranteed at least a silver. McCullagh and Donovan lost after putting up good displays against a Brit and a Russian so they'll settle for bronze. Kenny Egan and Darren O'Neill to come later.

Capt Pat

O'Neill beat the Bulgarian Manev 6-0. That is 2 silvers and 2 bronze.

Declan

Egan lost after building up an early lead

J OGorman

Anyone got a link to Dudie's fight?

thanks in advance

Hoof Hearted

i read an interview in this week's Derry Post that McCloskey sais he watched DVD;s of tonights oponent and he says he will try every trick in the book, complaining to the ref about everything when its nothing - he is at it already and only 1 round gone !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

Can't watch the fight here the woman has no sky... could youse keep me updated please lads???

Hoof Hearted

into 10th exile. i know fcuk all about boxing, but the commentators reckon dudey's tactics are all wrong. still have him ahead 87-85

BTW, your woman used to have Sky  ;)

Knock Out !!! Italian is on his hole, and still on his hole ! 40 secs into 11th round

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

tyroneboi

Great knock out punch from McCloskey. Good to see.

Capt Pat

Barnes has gold in a 4 - 1 victory. The first gold for Ireland in 19 years. Was the last gold for McCullough or a chap called Griffin who flopped at the olympics.