Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

I think the only reason Mayweather came back was to get a shot at Pacquiao. With Mayweather not about, Pacquiao was getting all the headlines and pound for pound best fighter around, after beating De La Hoya and Hatton, like Mayweather did. The same happened when Hatton wanted a shot at Mayweather, he wanted the fight and was put in his place. It's not as if he needs the money. He wanted the fight, thought he had the fight, so can't see him pulling out now just because he is afraid of Pacquiao. Probably just mind games as was mentioned earlier.

INDIANA

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 09, 2010, 01:00:17 PM
I think the only reason Mayweather came back was to get a shot at Pacquiao. With Mayweather not about, Pacquiao was getting all the headlines and pound for pound best fighter around, after beating De La Hoya and Hatton, like Mayweather did. The same happened when Hatton wanted a shot at Mayweather, he wanted the fight and was put in his place. It's not as if he needs the money. He wanted the fight, thought he had the fight, so can't see him pulling out now just because he is afraid of Pacquiao. Probably just mind games as was mentioned earlier.

Mayweather is a coward plain and simple. He's undercooked and he knows it. Pac-man would have punched the chops off him in March. I look forward to Pac-man putting Mayweather in his box. Mayweather has a track record of avoiding people - Pacman will get him and I'm looking forward to him putting a sock in Mayweather's big mouth. Pacman has world titles at 5 different weight divisons.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: INDIANA on January 09, 2010, 01:12:45 PM

Mayweather is a coward plain and simple. He's undercooked and he knows it. Pac-man would have punched the chops off him in March. I look forward to Pac-man putting Mayweather in his box. Mayweather has a track record of avoiding people - Pacman will get him and I'm looking forward to him putting a sock in Mayweather's big mouth. Pacman has world titles at 5 different weight divisons.

Mayweather has 6 titles at 5 levels.

Will be an interesting fight if it does happen, too close to call.

INDIANA

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 09, 2010, 01:32:35 PM

Mayweather has 6 titles at 5 levels.

Will be an interesting fight if it does happen, too close to call.

Mayweather needs at least 2 fights before Pacman. and he knows it. But the blood testing thing is just a smokescreen to get the fight off which it now is.

CiKe

Indiana IMHO you're talking rubbish. Mayweather isn't scared at all, and as I mentioned I believe it is just mindgames. I don't think he need the tuneups either as he is ALWAYS in shape and has always been regarded as meticulous in his preparations to the extent that he is among the best conditioned fighters in the game.

To suggest Pacquiao would punch the chops off him suggests you haven't seen many of PBF's fights - he barely gets hit and after 12years at the top of the game he doesn't has a mark on him. He fought DLH when at the time no one would have suggested than Manny hit anywhere near as hard as DLH - prior to Manny v DLH the vast majority of people thought that if DLH connected it would be lights out. Admittedly after watching Manny's last few fights he has obviously carried his power up the divisions.

THere wasn't a doubt in my mind that PBF won that fight against a much stronger man. Pacman whilst maybe not as strong will certainly be a different (and more difficult) opponent due to his speed and movement. Certainly I don't discount the possibility of him winning, and possibly by knockout, but find it very hard to believe it will be a one sided fight in either direction. At the bookies PBF may be favourite, although not sure, but even if he is Pacman will be the livest of slight underdogs.

Until the emergence of Pacman over the last couple of years PBF would have gone down as the best fighter of his generation, better than RJJ and the best defensive boxer since at least Pernell Whitaker. Even if he beats Manny, Manny may still ultimately be ranked above him in the pantheon given the names he has beaten as he has moved through the divisions but I think ultimately PBF will want to try and dispel that and will want to take him on - defintely don't think he is running scared and that the fight will happen at some stage.

gallsman

Bit harsh. Whatever about his personality and attitude, he's a supreme boxer.

Corrales, Castillo, Gatti, Judah, Baldomir, De la Hoya, Hatton, Marquez?

I wouldn't call that ducking. The only missing names really are Margarito (cheat), Cotto (more than likely traumatised after Pac-man), Mosley and Paul Williams.

CiKe

Margarito was the most overrated fighter in and around that division, haven't seen too much of Williams, in facr only one I saw was a shocking performance against a much smaller Kiwi (and smaller not just cos Williams is a freak, but lower weight class). After seeing that, couldn't believe he was being touted as pound for pound material a couple years later - I guess everyone can have their off nights though.

He should definitely have fought Mosley and should still I think, if he wants to go down as being as good as he actually is, whilst would also have liked to see him fight Cotto. The clamour to fight Pacquiao should be remembered that is relatively new - at the time of his retirement Pacquiao was in lower division and not many people were calling for that fight. When Pacman talked about fighting DLH initially he was laughed at.

CiKe

Gallsman, I wouldnt give PBF too much credit for fighting Gatti, Baldomir or Hatton. Not even close to being in his league despite what the English press would have had you believe about Hatton, and the Sky commentary team. I seem to remember George Kimball writing prior to that fight saying that Hatton hadn't a snowballs chance in hell.

Rather than Hatton he should have fought Cotto or Mosley, and for me personally that will always be held against him, unless he beats Pacman and Mosely (I never thought Cotto would present the same dangers as Mosely despite Cotto beating him)

ludermor

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2010/0109/iaba.html

Congrats to the Geesala boxing club in mayo who won the club of the year and the award for coaches of the year at the IABA awards last weekend. Some achievement for a tiny rural club.

Rav67

Roach really rates Mosley- would have thought that would have been the next fight for Pacquiao instead of Clottey. 

There's not much time for Pacman or PBF to fight Mosley now, he's 38 which is extremely old for a welterweight, its a testament to him how good he still is.  I think Paul Williams is moving up to middleweight to fight Pavlik, it would be hard for him to come all the way back down to welter to fight PBF or Pacman after putting on so much muscle, so I hope Mosley is on the cards for PBF.  PBF would comfortably beat him on points IMO and it would be good for his legacy.

He many of course want to fight Cotto, who would provide a decent opponent but is probably shot at this stage.  I feel sorry for him with what happened v Margarito.  I heard Freddy Roach saying Margaritio and/or his corner should be charged with attempted murder for what they did- I find it hard to disagree with that, definitely should face criminal charges of some description.

Declan

QuoteMosley now, he's 38 which is extremely old for a welterweight, its a testament to him how good he still is.

Or maybe its the drugs that are keeping him in shape ;)

gallsman

Quote from: CiKe on January 09, 2010, 03:51:54 PM
Gallsman, I wouldnt give PBF too much credit for fighting Gatti, Baldomir or Hatton. Not even close to being in his league despite what the English press would have had you believe about Hatton, and the Sky commentary team. I seem to remember George Kimball writing prior to that fight saying that Hatton hadn't a snowballs chance in hell.

Rather than Hatton he should have fought Cotto or Mosley, and for me personally that will always be held against him, unless he beats Pacman and Mosely (I never thought Cotto would present the same dangers as Mosely despite Cotto beating him)

Perhaps not in his league, but they were all world champions and they were fights that people wanted to see made. Having made a mockery of fighting Judah after Baldomir beat him, he had to fight him as well. Gatti was tough as nails and fighting Hatton was admittedly a money spinner. At the same time however, Hatton was undefeated and had just demolished Castillo, who gave Mayweather plenty of problems in both their fights.

Rav67

Quote from: gallsman on January 13, 2010, 12:30:05 PM
Quote from: CiKe on January 09, 2010, 03:51:54 PM

Perhaps not in his league, but they were all world champions and they were fights that people wanted to see made. Having made a mockery of fighting Judah after Baldomir beat him, he had to fight him as well. Gatti was tough as nails and fighting Hatton was admittedly a money spinner. At the same time however, Hatton was undefeated and had just demolished Castillo, who gave Mayweather plenty of problems in both their fights.

Castillo was a shadow of his former self by the time Hatton KO'd him.  In reality looking back now Hatton had only one really notable win - Kostya Tszyu.

Archie Mitchell

Speaking of Hatton, he has confirmed he will fight again this year. Rumoured to be Juan Manuel Marquez. Could be fighting again at the City stadium or in Vegas. I'd imagine if it was his last, he would want it in Manchester.

The Iceman

Hatton would really have to start dieting now - I was shocked at how heavy he is in recent pictures - he really let himself go.  Still a great lad and from all reports a real people's man with time for everyone but if you are going to remain competitive in professional boxing your weight cannot yo-yo 40 pounds between fights.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight