Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: hardstation on September 27, 2009, 11:44:35 PM
"I didn't see a punch there". What fight was he watching? The digs were as clear as day. I think he thought yer man was using the head as he commented on how close yer boy's head was to Dunne's.

Here's another one for you boxing heads......"Dunne is a far better boxer than yer boy but got dragged into a fight". I thought yer man was the better boxer. Picked his punches well and when he hit, he hurt Dunne.
I don't think Dunne is as good as he has been made out to be.

Nobody ever said he was that good. But he was still a world champion- most boxers never get that far. And regardless of what his detractors say-that can't be taken away from him.

Hound

Dunne outboxed him in the first round, but the Thai figured him out by the 2nd and looked clearly the better fighter.

Dunne is probably the best in Europe at his weight, so he is damn good. But not in the same class as the very top men in the world. He was a bit lucky to get his title shot, but when he did he had the guts and determination, along with some talent, to take it. And as Indiana said, nobody can ever take that away from him.

He's a good lad too, gave a very good speech there at the end. Good luck to him.

Katie Taylor got some reception when announced to the crowd before the fight. A standing ovation for about 5 minutes. Fantastic.

Gerry Ryan on the other hand got absolutely slaughtered. Hilarious!

Declan

Doogie Browser

Dunne just cannot take a punch of any force which in his line of business is pretty unfortunate.  TBH fair fucks to him for going for the main challenger in the weight division though as most would have been happy to fight a few lower ranked fighters and pick up the cheque, in hindsight he should have done that too as he can not come back from this.  Totally outclassed by a technically superior opponent.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Declan on September 28, 2009, 08:28:10 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0928/1224255368402.html

Humphries thoughts on it - Fairly spot on

i think the reaction to his pounding is a bit over the top. he has a year or 2 left in him IF he wants it.

Its clear he doesnt have the stuff for the elite but there would be nothing wrong with a last fight or 2 against worthy opposition for some kind of title.

Poonsawat is in the top 3/4 of the strongest division in boxing, no other current irish boxer has come close to fighting at that level. dunne got destroyed, but by one of the very best

One last farewell pay day for bernard against a middling opponent would be no bad thing for him
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Doogie Browser

Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 28, 2009, 02:31:18 PM

i think the reaction to his pounding is a bit over the top. he has a year or 2 left in him IF he wants it.

Its clear he doesnt have the stuff for the elite but there would be nothing wrong with a last fight or 2 against worthy opposition for some kind of title.

Poonsawat is in the top 3/4 of the strongest division in boxing, no other current irish boxer has come close to fighting at that level. dunne got destroyed, but by one of the very best

One last farewell pay day for bernard against a middling opponent would be no bad thing for him
Who would pay to watch that though?  I think the Dunne brand is now well and truly done!

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 28, 2009, 02:50:50 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 28, 2009, 02:31:18 PM

Who would pay to watch that though?  I think the Dunne brand is now well and truly done!

Sold as a farewell fight could get the fans out to some degree and fighting someone irish/british like rendall munroe could draw their fans as well. a good undercard would help (paul mccloskey?)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

gallsman

Quote from: Hound on September 28, 2009, 07:36:57 AM
Dunne outboxed him in the first round

Don't think that's the case. I think he was quite happy to just walk through Dunne's jab in the first round to properly gauge his (lack of) power. He knew that once he got inside he had him and that Dunne's jab wasn't going to be enough to stop him.

Quote from: Hound on September 28, 2009, 07:36:57 AM
Dunne is probably the best in Europe at his weight

I'd dispute that too. Rendall Munroe has beaten Martinez twice and I'd comfortably put money on him to take Dunne.

Gerry Ryan practically rode Dunne on air this morning. "He's lifted all our spirits in such times" or some other shite to similar effect.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: cville on September 27, 2009, 11:38:43 PM
Agree totally. Dave Boy didn't see the first two punches that floored Dunne. What were RTE paying him for? The silence from Magee etc after he hit the canvas was deafening. Outclassed totally - and now Peters is talking about a comeback! Brian - that cash cow has been milked! Retire with what dignity please. Please don't think that Tyson Fury will pack out the O2. The game is up!

Tyson Fury punching himself in the face:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFP-R_LYSM

:D :D
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Logan

I don't understand why no one else has asked this - especially after all the hype about the training Dunne did and the weights he lifts how he can train every day lifting weights and so on and so on and -

1 - Look emancipated, starved and skinny at a weigh-in - Compared to a Thai guy who looks like a brick shit house

2 - Have no power in his punch????

Am I missing something?
Lord save me if he's supposed to be getting stronger surely he could have some power in his punch?

tyroneman

Why the big love in with dunne? Anytime i saw him being interviewed he comes across as very arrogant and annoying

magpie seanie

I met him in passing once in Croke Park and instead of walking on he stopped and discussed the game for a few minutes. Found him to be a sound lad and very down to earth. Couldn't say a bad word about him.

Declan

QuoteWhy the big love in with dunne? Anytime i saw him being interviewed he comes across as very arrogant and annoying

Yeah right - Great lad and as down to earth and normal a guy as you could have the pleasure of meeting

Dunne's smile is back as fans say he's still a champ

By Fergus Black

Wednesday September 30 2009

THE narrow white strip covering a cut over his left eye was the only visible sign of his devastating defeat.

Looking fit and remarkably relaxed, it was hard to imagine that just three days previously Bernard Dunne's six-month reign as world bantamweight champion had come to such a dramatic end at the hands of a Thai fighter.

Shaking off that bitter disappointment, the 29-year-old boxer was given what he later described as an "amazing" reception when he braved the spotlight in City Hall yesterday to join athletes in announcing Dublin as next year's European Capital of Sport.

And he quickly showed some fancy footwork in dodging the awkward questions about his plans for the future. "I know you boys are dying to ask me questions," a smiling Dunne told journalists hoping for some inkling of his future plans. "You're being very kind and it's nice to see you being that way.

"We all know what happened on Saturday evening but today is about promoting Dublin city and I'm a true blue at heart so I wanted to be a part of it."

Earlier, while posing for photos, the boxer mentioned to Dublin's Lord Mayor Emer Costello that he would take a break. "You will come back," she assured him. "You are still a champion, no matter what."

In one of only a few references to his bruising fight, Dunne admitted that it had been a tough and emotional decision to attend yesterday's announcement along with the Lord Mayor, boxing sensation Katie Taylor, athlete David Gillick and a host of other sports figures.

"I suppose after Saturday one of the last places I would have expected to be would be in City Hall," he told the huge crowd that had gathered for yesterday's announcement. "But this is about promoting Dublin as a brand. Being the true-blue Dub that I am there was no way I was going to miss this. It's an honour to represent my county. I'll never get to do it in a blue jersey but at least I get to do it here today."

And he made an impassioned plea to the Government to continue investing in sport. "Sport is the one thing to put a smile on your face even in these difficult times and the Government needs to support and nurture young talent.

"Let's continue to give our kids the chance to be the next Katie Taylor or David Gillick or maybe they still want to be the next Bernard Dunne, you never know," he said.

Rollout

Quote from: Logan on September 29, 2009, 10:11:27 AM
I don't understand why no one else has asked this - especially after all the hype about the training Dunne did and the weights he lifts how he can train every day lifting weights and so on and so on and -

1 - Look emancipated, starved and skinny at a weigh-in - Compared to a Thai guy who looks like a brick shit house

2 - Have no power in his punch????

Am I missing something?
Lord save me if he's supposed to be getting stronger surely he could have some power in his punch?

I didn't realise Dunne had been bound into slavery. Makes his achievements in the ring even more special.
http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie

The Ulster Handball Open 2007

Carmen Stateside

Any word on Duddy fight? Any links online?