Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hows she cutting

Fair play to Gomez for lasting as long as he did. Great shot to the ribs of Khan. Man that would have hurt

slow corner back

Great fight with Khan and Gomez, really enjoyed it. Khans hand speed is amazing sometimes but his defence is suspect. Its easy to see why frank warren is holding him back. Still good to watch though.

Rav67

Gomez is certainly game, he always came back aggressively every time Khan landed a flurry of punches on him.  I felt he could have went on when it was stopped, but I suppose it was inevitable at that stage that it was going to be stopped in the next round or 2 anyway.

The Iceman

the pocket rocket for me should have retired a long time ago

although he was a world champion he was never spectacular and his two strengths were his stamina and the fact that he could take a good beating

i think his wife ruined his career

and now he seems to be involved as a commentator and ambassador for mixed martial arts?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DirtyDozen12

Another win for Duddy last night, some clips of the fight up in youtube.com.  Still unbeaten as a pro but hopefully starts to step things up and fight guys with the big audiences in attendance:

QuoteBoxing before his Boston fans for the first time in 2 years, Ireland's John Duddy dominated from start to finish last night, winning all 10 rounds on the scorecards of the three ringside judges in subduing Ohio veteran Charlie Howe in the main event of Irish Ropes' five-bout card at the Park Plaza Castle.

The Park Square fortress turned into an Irish hooley for an evening as a capacity crowd of 1,200 turned out in the hope that Duddy's performance would be spectacular enough to merit his hoped-for meeting vs. another Ohio middleweight, world champion Kelly Pavlik.

The critics' verdict was that while it might not rate as spectacular, Duddy's work against Howe was in many respects his most impressive to date. Fighting for the first time under new trainer Patrick Burns, he not only consistently worked off his jab, but a man whose bravado has often gotten him into trouble by making him easy to hit, proved an elusive target.

"I decided to stop being so hard-headed and do a bit of boxing," said Duddy with a smile after posting his 25th win in as many pro fights.

The loss left Howe, who got high marks for his resiliency and the granite chin he put on display at the Castle, with a career mark of 17-5-2. While Duddy's fans would obviously have preferred to see a knockout, there is no disgrace in going the distance with Howe, who was around for the final bell against 22 other opponents.

Burns seemed pleased by his new pupil's first outing, but cautioned "I don't want to take anything away from his previous trainers (Harry Keitt and Don Turner). I've won one fight with him. They won 24.

"When I looked at films of his earlier fights, it seemed as if whenever he got hit he had a tendency to get his Irish up and fight like he was coming out of a bar. What we worked a lot on was keeping him patient and fighting under control, using his jab the way he did tonight."

Although there were no knockdowns, Duddy badly staggered Howe in the second when he followed a left to the body with a hard left hook. Howe was knocked spread-eagled into the ring ropes, without which he might well have landed in the seats, but referee Mike Marvelle did not rule it a knockdown.

On several other occasions, notably in the fifth, seventh and eighth rounds, Duddy appeared to have Howe hurt late in the stanza, only to have the bell end the round before he could finish the job.

Howe bled for most of the night after being ripped under the left eyelid in the first round, and a clash of heads late in the ninth drew blood from Duddy as well. The gash, no more than an inch and a half long, was stitched afterward, and is unlikely to be a detriment to a September fight.

Duddy went into his Hub appearance ranked the No. 2 middleweight by both the World Boxing Council and World Boxing Association, and while it appears that he will indeed be fighting again in September and quite possibly for a world title, it may not be Pavlik's.

The month he spent training Duddy at the Phantom Gym in Miami convinced Burns that Duddy's optimal weight may be at 154 pounds, not 160. The Irishman weighed 158 last night, and, says Burns, "I think he can make junior middleweight with ease. When I asked him about it, he said 'No problem.' "

Irish Ropes has already been in negotiation with Art Pelullo, the promoter of Internatinal Boxing Federation junior middle champ Verno Phillips, for a September fight that could take place in either the United States (New York or Las Vegas) or Ireland, with both Dublin and Belfast potential venues

Source: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/other_sports/boxing/view/2008_06_29_Duddy_shows_Howe_to_win/srvc=sports&position=recent
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

ludermor

Lecale2

Admin - could this thread not be amalgamated with the Joey Barton thread?

DirtyDozen12

Anybody see the Danny Williams vs John McDermott fight tonight on sky sports??  What where them 3 judges smoking whilst watching that fight???  How the f**k did they give the decision to Williams??  Total joke, unbeleivable Williams actually stayed on his feet in the 5th round, he got a severe hammering in that particular round!!!

bridgegael

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on July 18, 2008, 11:36:48 PM
Anybody see the Danny Williams vs John McDermott fight tonight on sky sports??  What where them 3 judges smoking whilst watching that fight???  How the f**k did they give the decision to Williams??  Total joke, unbeleivable Williams actually stayed on his feet in the 5th round, he got a severe hammering in that particular round!!!

that decision was a joke,  williams himself knew he should have lost.  all the sky commentaters and pundits had mcDermott by at least three rounds. jim watt had mcDermott by 5 rounds,  one of the judges had williams by 3,  thats an 8 rpoint swing,  how can two people have such differences on the same fight.

round 5 was brilliant,  fair play to williams for stayin up, he ook an awful hammering,  manys a man would have been gone.  McDernott was robbed big time
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Tyrone Dreamer

I think the judges got it right. Yes McDermott had a great 5th round but that at best only gave him a 2 point lead if the judges went for 10-8, the fight was judged over 12 individual rounds. After round 5 I thought McDermott was tired and offered very little, I would have given most of the rounds to Williams who at least tried to be aggressive while McDermott sat back.

DirtyDozen12

mccloskey knows he is in a fight tonight!i actually think he is losing!the verdict should be interesting

DirtyDozen12

Andy Lee looking very impressive tonight, great 5th round there for him.  Very good technical boxer Lee, think he will win this handy, either by stoppage or definately on points if it goes the distance.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: hardstation on July 19, 2008, 11:25:11 PM
Lee is knocking his shite in.

Willie will be happy to get back to the US ASAP, he is taking some heavy shots!!! 

DirtyDozen12

Fuckin great last round hi, two men beatin lumps out of other, brilliant stuff, very impressed with Lee tonight, the boy can box.  Hope he gets a world title shot at some stage.

ludermor

Fair play to Lee well on top.
What is the story with his tattoo?