The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on September 19, 2020, 12:58:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 19, 2020, 09:43:43 AM
It's likely that the Dems win the Senate and Presidency
The way the SC is chosen is not a law of nature. It will have to be changed to deal with issues such as climate change.
If Biden wins and the Democrats take the senate - and that appears a long shot to me at this stage - the Democrats should expand the Supreme Court to 15 and ram through the most left-wing justices they can find, as well as massively expanding the judiciary nationwide as a whole - which is already long overdue

And make DC and Puerto Rico states

The reality is that as long as the Democrats don't have the presidency and the senate, another liberal justice will never again be approved

If Biden wins and the Democrats take the senate, the gloves need to come off, it needs to be absolute war, and the right-wing needs to be totally obliterated - because the right-wing wants to totally obliterate democracy and any sort of reason

Hear bloody hear. This tyranny of the conservative minority has gone on long enough. Time to get the sword out and fight back for once.

We only need a handful of GOP senators to block a Trump SC nomination, and so far there's a chance of holding it off until after the election. Dems are slightly favoured to take back the senate according to the latest polls.

An expanded SC with term limits is the way to go. If it doesn't happen, what's left of American democracy will die and The Handmaid's Tale will start to look like a documentary.

Eamonnca1

Jell 0 Biafra

This is a fun read.  The article entirely consists of quotes from Republicans about why Justices should not be appointed to the Supreme Court in an election year.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/21/opinion/supreme-court-nomination-ginsburg.html

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 22, 2020, 02:17:35 PM
This is a fun read.  The article entirely consists of quotes from Republicans about why Justices should not be appointed to the Supreme Court in an election year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/21/opinion/ruth-bader-ginsburg-senate-democrats.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Wrong article linked.

Although that one is interesting too.

Can you imagine Trump and Fox News if the Dems do pull out some of those suggestions such as objecting to the UCs or making all the GOP senators in those tight races be present in person in D.C. to form a quorum instead of being out fundraising and shaking hands at home? :)

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: J70 on September 22, 2020, 02:30:21 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/21/opinion/ruth-bader-ginsburg-senate-democrats.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Can you imagine Trump and Fox News if the Dems do pull out some of those suggestions such as objecting to the UCs or making all the GOP senators in those tight races be present in person in D.C. to form a quorum instead of being out fundraising and shaking hands at home? :)

Fixed above. Thanks J70.

I might actually watch Fox if that happened!  I can't see the Democrats doing anything so ballsy though.

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 22, 2020, 02:33:45 PM

Fixed above. Thanks J70.

I might actually watch Fox if that happened!  I can't see the Democrats doing anything so ballsy though.

No, they're generally relatively gutless compared to the Republicans.

There's no chance in hell that they would have ploughed ahead with this nomination anyway if the roles were reversed. Say what you want about Mitch McConnell, but he doesn't give two fucks about public outcry or PR. Eyes on the prize, that's all that matters, especially when it comes to the courts.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on September 22, 2020, 02:45:36 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 22, 2020, 02:33:45 PM

Fixed above. Thanks J70.

No, they're generally relatively gutless compared to the Republicans.

There's no chance in hell that they would have ploughed ahead with this nomination anyway if the roles were reversed. Say what you want about Mitch McConnell, but he doesn't give two fucks about public outcry or PR. Eyes on the prize, that's all that matters, especially when it comes to the courts.

That's the truth. He might look ridiculous, but he's the most ruthless MFer ever to sit in that position. Dems need to grow a pair and fight back. Pack the court next year to counter the illegitimate justices appointed by Trump.

five points

Packing the court only works as a strategy for as long as you hold the Presidency.

Jell 0 Biafra

Which is why the Dems need to move on statehood for DC and PR.

Roesider

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 22, 2020, 05:15:27 PM

Can the democrat party change the rules at this late stage so they can win and would it be legal?

I can only imagine that the Trump supporters will riot and loot just like they have been doing for the last few months. Can't get any worse.

J70

Quote from: Roesider on September 22, 2020, 05:20:38 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 22, 2020, 05:15:27 PM

Can the democrat party change the rules at this late stage so they can win and would it be legal?

I can only imagine that the Trump supporters will riot and loot just like they have been doing for the last few months. Can't get any worse.

Not sure what you mean here. I presume you DON'T mean adding them before THIS election?

That aside, the US expanded frequently over its history as new states were admitted, up to Hawaii and Alaska in the 1950s. There's nothing stopping further additions as long as the conditions are met. And if they are, what would there be to riot about?

Jell 0 Biafra

I was thinking if the Dems won the Presidency and senate, they could both stack the court and by adding 4 fairly safe future senate seats, protect against  the Republicans returning the favor later down the line.

It's what Mitch would do!

five points

Gerrymandering usually backfires though.

J70

Quote from: five points on September 22, 2020, 05:52:35 PM
Gerrymandering usually backfires though.

In the US?

Cool. When will it backfire? :)