What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erne Gael

Quote from: David McKeown on June 20, 2011, 03:17:49 PM
Richer are a great group of guys and are really knowledgeable, I would constantly use them for all my av stuff (to the point where I am now on first name terms with everyone in the store) but they like me are not big fans of the Samsung tv's, the Sony KDL 503 range seem to be winning all the plaudits at the minute but it really depends on your situation what tv is best for you.  I would go have a chat with them if I were you.  I would try to avoid Currys etc as they really try to push older models or lower speced models to drive sales

Thanks for that. What impressed me most about Richer Sounds was their 5 year guarantee which was pretty cheap and of course the likes of currys, argos dont give you that offer.

I have the tv on a wall bracket and I want to make sure I can get another TV to fit it cause dont want to take it down as I have no room to put it on a stand.

As long as the tv has HD, good sound, freeview for the switch over next year I am happy. A friend has a Samsung 40" with sky HD and I was very keen on getting the sky HD as the quality of picture was fantastic

D MC K are you better just going to them directly and dealing with them or buy online with richer sounds?

David McKeown

I find going to them isnt a bad idea as you can sometimes (although not as often as other shops) get a bit of a deal,

Sound on all flat screens is shite imo (im a big audiophile though so you may not agree).  The 5 year gurantee is superb as its 10% of the price of the TV and if I remember correctly is refunded in the event you dont claim on it.

The bracket is pretty standard these days so shouldnt be too much of a problem. Freeview is also standard nowadays in fact freewview HD is almost a standard.

If you think SKY HD looks good grab a Sony S370 Blu Ray player for 100 quid and watch a few blu rays, the quality on those is much higher than Sky HD
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ludermor

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105

Richersounds have their own forum on boards.ie where you can ask any question and they will answer almost stright away. The people who answer for them are managers and senior sales ( even their MD John on occasion) so they are very knowledgable and they give great deals every now and then on the site. Well worth putting a query on there .

AbbeySider

I am in the hunt for a TV up to 50" (or so) at the minute.

It would be in a bright room that faces south west so would I be better going with a LCD or LED rather than a Plasma or does it matter?

I dont think I will be hooking up a blu-ray player any time soon so I would just be watching sports and regular movies.

Can anyone recommend a model or have any advice?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 23, 2011, 11:06:56 PM
I am in the hunt for a TV up to 50" (or so) at the minute.

It would be in a bright room that faces south west so would I be better going with a LCD or LED rather than a Plasma or does it matter?

I dont think I will be hooking up a blu-ray player any time soon so I would just be watching sports and regular movies.

Can anyone recommend a model or have any advice?
Getting time for an upgrade on our living room tv too. Try here...

http://trustedreviews.co.uk/tvs?att_187%5B%5D=40in+-+49in

Ignore the prices on that site, you'll get cheaper.

Tony Baloney

Right tis the time of the year and the bargains are starting to hit the shops. Looking for something around 42" less than £500. 3D worth looking at or is it a passing fad?

Seen this yoke in the Irish News today.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p42ut30b-42-full-hd-plasma-3d-tv-with-two-free-pairs-of-3d-glasses-11854683-pdt.html

Tyrones own

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 26, 2011, 08:03:52 PM
Right tis the time of the year and the bargains are starting to hit the shops. Looking for something around 42" less than £500. 3D worth looking at or is it a passing fad?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p42ut30b-42-full-hd-plasma-3d-tv-with-two-free-pairs-of-3d-glasses-11854683-pdt.html
3D seems to be just that...a passing fad, haven't really took of here anyway  :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Main Street

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 26, 2011, 08:13:17 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 26, 2011, 08:03:52 PM

3D seems to be just that...a passing fad, haven't really took of here anyway  :-\
The 3D is a just an inbuilt option on a very good Panasonic.
Even if you never use that option, you still have an excellent plasma tv for £500

bigfrank

http://www.cheap-lcd-tv.co.uk/51_Samsung_PS51D450B_HD_Ready_Digital_Freeview_Plasma_TV_1247_d

51 Samsung PS51D450B HD Ready Digital Freeview Plasma TV. Just been flicking about online and stumbled across this...seemed very cheap for the size of the tv..would look great mounted on my wall :) Wonder does Santa read the gaaboard  ;D

armaghniac

Quote51 Samsung PS51D450B HD Ready Digital Freeview Plasma TV

With such a big screen you'd be better with a full HD to get Freeview HD and also Saorview.
This is already out of date I suspect, but might be OK if you are plugging it into a cable or satellite service.   
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Puckoon

BF - If you're going to invest in the big TV - you may as well do it right. That tv is 720 - and as someone who just a few weeks ago upgraded from 720 to 1080p the 1080 is much much better

Still a grand tv mind you and a decent price.

bigfrank

Better in what way Puck?? i just stumbled across that tv online as it was on the hot list for xmas or something...

Puckoon

The resolution enhancement in my living room (granted its not that big a room and I may be closer to the the tv than you), is completely noticeable from the 720 to the 1080p. Sometimes a bit too much - I was able to see the pores on Lisbeth Salander's face the other day. Didn't have that with my 720p 36 inch.

Ulick

Frank,
reasons to not go near that tv:

1. it's only 720p. All HD formats are quickly moving to 1080p so you'll not get the benefit.
2. if you are watching normal tv you will need to sit back at least a distance of about 15 feet from the telly or you'll notice pixellation in the images (about 10 feet if watching 720p)
3. the Freeview tuner doesn't support HD which will be available here next year. Won't support Saorview either.
4. you'll need a small generator to run it.

ludermor

Anyone notice any good buys in the sales these days, budget about £400.