Why is the 'Cadet' thread locked?

Started by Maguire01, November 30, 2011, 08:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on December 01, 2011, 04:58:15 PM
Are are also offended because the deputy Mayor wont talk to the Mayor?

I'm not offended by either of them. But I think they're both setting out to be offensive

nifan

Personally rather than being offended Im embarassed that these are the sort of people that gain any sort of prominence in NI, and that there are so many who will be mortally offended by one of the twats but think the other is some sort of principled saint.

haranguerer

Quote from: nifan on December 01, 2011, 06:01:35 PM

Personally rather than being offended Im embarassed that these are the sort of people that gain any sort of prominence in NI, and that there are so many who will be mortally offended by one of the t**ts but think the other is some sort of principled saint.

Agreed. This is just a further example of someone who hasnt actually got a clue what he believes in or stands for, trying to do what is right by what he thinks he should believe in, or stand for. Noone seems to think for themselves any more. The whole thing is pathetic.

muppet

Quote from: Orior on December 01, 2011, 04:33:03 PM
You're all a bunch of t**sers.

Can one of you tell me exactly why you are offended by what the Mayor did in the first place and describe in detail the pain that it has inflicted on you.

I reserve the right to be offended by people I don't know and have never met, who are talking about people I don't know and have never met, who are talking about something that may or may not have even happened and even if it did I wouldn't know it happened exactly as the people I don't know and never met say it did!
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 11:37:16 AM
A thread about a thread. This place has gone to the dogs!
Indeed. But it's good that you joined in. Maybe you could answer the questions I asked on the other thread before it got locked?

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 02:26:03 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 01, 2011, 02:20:10 PM
"Today, the DUP deputy lord mayor will not talk to the Sinn Fein lord mayor, never mind shake his hand..."

No change there then:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13565893

Taken from a BBC report back in MAY!! :
DUP backs Ruth Patterson over Sinn Féin mayor snub

The DUP has supported deputy lord mayor Ruth Patterson after she snubbed the newly elected Sinn Fein lord mayor at a Belfast council meeting on Thursday.

Sinn Fein's Niall O Donnghaile, 25, offered his congratulations to Mrs Patterson but she did not acknowledge him.

"I wanted to wish her congratulations, it is unfortunate she refused to accept them," Mr O Donnghaile said."

(I'm sure someone started a thread about this at the time though, right?)
That woman is indeed a disgrace as a public representative, and therefore is not someone any other public representative should measure themselves against.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 01, 2011, 07:01:34 PM
Indeed. But it's good that you joined in. Maybe you could answer the questions I asked on the other thread before it got locked?

As far as I'm concerned he showed compromise. Take part in awards sponsored by what's-his-name, but not personally present awards to any British Army cadets etc. Compromise. If he had presented it to her, it wouldn't have bothered me anyway but he still showed a compromise. That's if I'm pushed for an answer because if i'm honest, this is a laughable excuse for a story. A sotrm in a little tea cup. As I say, it is a topic for the likes of yourself/trout/tonto/bingo/trileacman/minder etc to have a wee bashing session at SF. Have a ball. Nobody else cares enough outside of yourselves and the BBC. Everyone else knows well the good work Niall O'Donnghaille has been involved in.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tonto

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 07:13:20 PM

As far as I'm concerned he showed compromise. Take part in awards sponsored by what's-his-name, but not personally present awards to any British Army cadets etc. Compromise. That's if I'm pushed for an answer because if i'm honest, this is a laughable excuse for a story. A sotrm in a little tea cup. As I say, it is a topic for the likes of yourself/trout/tonto/trileacman/minder etc to have a wee bashing session at SF. Have a ball. Nobody else cares enough outside of yourselves and the BBC. Everyone else knows well the good work Niall O'Donnghaille has been involved in.
As privileged as I am to be mentioned in your post, I didn't bash Sinn Fein at all!  Didn't even mention them.

I haven't particularly taken offence to what the Lord Mayor of Belfast did although I do think it was a bloody stupid thing to have done.  If he had given the award, who'd have known?! (That's a rhetorical question, btw  ;))

Actually, now that I'm here.  Still waiting for Forever Green to answer my question*.  Thanks.

*Edit: Just to clarify; that is the non-rhetorcial question on the last thread.

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 07:13:20 PM

As far as I'm concerned he showed compromise. Take part in awards sponsored by what's-his-name, but not personally present awards to any British Army cadets etc. Compromise. That's if I'm pushed for an answer because if i'm honest, this is a laughable excuse for a story. A sotrm in a little tea cup. As I say, it is a topic for the likes of yourself/trout/tonto/trileacman/minder etc to have a wee bashing session at SF. Have a ball. Nobody else cares enough outside of yourselves and the BBC. Everyone else knows well the good work Niall O'Donnghaille has been involved in.
I'm more than happy to acknowledge the good work he has done to date. I think he showed great potential as one of SF's new breed - he was definitely very visible during Befast Music Week and I think it was no harm for Belfast to be seen to have a young Lord Mayor at this time. All of which made it all the more depressing that he made a mess of this.

And 'compromise' is a very creative way of framing it! He made a mess of it. He had to think on his feet and he got it wrong. If he was prepared to compromise his principles (a good thing here, in my opinion, in the name of progress) and present the awards, there's little logic in stopping where he did. How is it that presenting the awards not "shirking" his 'responsibilities as an Irish Republican', yet giving an award to a 14 year old Cadet is?

But it's good that he has apologised for it now.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 01, 2011, 07:36:50 PM
How is it that presenting the awards not "shirking" his 'responsibilities as an Irish Republican', yet giving an award to a 14 year old Cadet is?
Compromise!

I'm glad you're happy now, it must have been hard for you!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 07:43:51 PM
How is it that presenting the awards not "shirking" his 'responsibilities as an Irish Republican', yet giving an award to a 14 year old Cadet is?
Compromise!
Of course it was! Did he half-shirk his responsibilities as an Irish Republican by giving out the awards he did? Where is the line drawn on principles and responsibilities?

He was caught on the hop. Simple as. If it was as simple as a compromise, he'd hardly feel the need to apologise now.

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 07:43:51 PM
I'm glad you're happy now, it must have been hard for you!
It wasn't.

Nally Stand

From Jude Collins:

The Mayor of Belfast and a shameful affair

It's good to see for once that the public of Belfast appear to be united against a shameful affair. I'm referring, of course, to the case of the British Army cadet who wasn't given  a Duke of Edinburgh award by the Lord Mayor Niall Ó Donnghaile. There really is a point where people have to say enough is enough, whether that's by words or actions – or in this case refusal to act.

Because what we have here is a 15-year-old who has been encouraged along the path of organized violence.  This child has barely reached the age of puberty, yet she has been enlisted in an organization where people are taught to kill other people – with guns, with grenades, with tanks, with rockets, with bombs. Last year cash-strapped Britain spent over £38 billion on training and equipping people to kill or threaten to kill other people. To that you can add another £34 billion for the Trident nuclear replacement, a death-programme designed to kill civilians by the million. Meanwhile there are nearly three million people out of work in Britain today, while those who are in work are having their pensions gutted and their pay slashed to fill the pockets of bankers and bond-holders.

It'll be three more years before this cadet child is allowed to vote. It'll be three more years before she can get married without his parents' consent. Yet right now, without a murmur from anyone, she is being inducted into the world of weapons, violence,  mutilation and death. Thank God someone at last has had the courage to refuse to lend his office to this corruption of the young. Maith thú, Lord Mayor – well done!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 08:28:01 PM
From Jude Collins:

It's good to see for once that the public of Belfast appear to be united against a shameful affair. I'm referring, of course, to the case of the British Army cadet who wasn't given  a Duke of Edinburgh award by the Lord Mayor Niall Ó Donnghaile. There really is a point where people have to say enough is enough, whether that's by words or actions – or in this case refusal to act.

Because what we have here is a 15-year-old who has been encouraged along the path of organized violence.  This child has barely reached the age of puberty, yet she has been enlisted in an organization where people are taught to kill other people – with guns, with grenades, with tanks, with rockets, with bombs. Last year cash-strapped Britain spent over £38 billion on training and equipping people to kill or threaten to kill other people. To that you can add another £34 billion for the Trident nuclear replacement, a death-programme designed to kill civilians by the million. Meanwhile there are nearly three million people out of work in Britain today, while those who are in work are having their pensions gutted and their pay slashed to fill the pockets of bankers and bond-holders.

It'll be three more years before this cadet child is allowed to vote. It'll be three more years before she can get married without his parents' consent. Yet right now, without a murmur from anyone, she is being inducted into the world of weapons, violence,  mutilation and death. Thank God someone at last has had the courage to refuse to lend his office to this corruption of the young. Maith thú, Lord Mayor – well done!
If Niall was a pacifist - let's say a Quaker, or a Mennonite - and he'd taken his stance on the issue of organised violence, I'd have applauded his actions. But Niall isn't against violence. His party supported the so called armed struggle of the IRA, which claimed the lives of many children, and I've never heard Niall or Sinn Fein condemn the army of the Irish Republic or any other army for that matter. Niall and his party are opposed to the British Army, not organised violence per se. Jude misses the point. Deliberately so, I suspect.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 01, 2011, 09:02:43 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 08:28:01 PM
From Jude Collins:

If Niall was a pacifist - let's say a Quaker, or a Mennonite - and he'd taken his stance on the issue of organised violence, I'd have applauded his actions. But Niall isn't against violence. His party supported the so called armed struggle of the IRA, which claimed the lives of many children, and I've never heard Niall or Sinn Fein condemn the army of the Irish Republic or any other army for that matter. Niall and his party are opposed to the British Army, not organised violence per se. Jude misses the point. Deliberately so, I suspect.

Are you a pacifist?