Learning Irish trad/folk music

Started by hsthompson, November 27, 2011, 11:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hsthompson

I'm looking to properly start learning some Irish folk and trad tunes. I can play a bit of guitar and have a limited grasp of DADGAD on it, but i'd also like to begin the fiddle. Anyone know are there any particularly helpful sites or books etc, or what tunes are easy to start off with? Any of yous play any yourself? I'm not necessarily talking just jigs and reels, but songs too. Even recommendations of your favourite songs to listen to would be good, always good to hear new suggestions. You think it's a limited field but you always find something new that's great

andoireabu

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/irish-mandolin-tab/irish-mandolin-tab-a.html
good start for fiddle. All songs have notes nd midi (i think) so its a gud starter. Good luck
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Denn Forever

Can I recommend that you listen to Welcome Here kind stanger album by Paul Brady.  Fully of great folk songs.  Or some early Christy Moore.  Best of luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uz3Qpip56U&feature=related
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Arthur_Friend

Find out where your nearest Comhaltas group meets and join group lessons. After a while get one on one tuition from a good tutor.

In my opinion, you'll make slow progress if you try to learn online or with books/dvds by yourself. If you're in Belfast try the Crescent Arts Centre.

hsthompson

Yeah that Paul Brady album is a great one, been a big fan of his for years. I'm a long way of playing like him though! That link didn't work andoireabu. I have zero knowledge of fiddle so i'm not sure it would mean much to me anyway. I'm sort of resigned to the fact that I'll have to start lessons from scratch on it, but I hope I can teach myself a jigs and reels on the guitar. I can play standard tuning stuff handy enough. Do any of you play?

screenexile

Quote from: hsthompson on November 28, 2011, 11:28:03 AM
Yeah that Paul Brady album is a great one, been a big fan of his for years. I'm a long way of playing like him though! That link didn't work andoireabu. I have zero knowledge of fiddle so i'm not sure it would mean much to me anyway. I'm sort of resigned to the fact that I'll have to start lessons from scratch on it, but I hope I can teach myself a jigs and reels on the guitar. I can play standard tuning stuff handy enough. Do any of you play?

Have to agree with Arthur. Comholtas is the way to go. Great teaching and very affordable (well our local one is anyway about £50/8 wks). That's your best bet. A proper tutor will be able to give you as many tunes as you like and also show you where to go on the web for the best stuff.

Thinking of getting back into it myself. Played the Tin Whistle when I was around 17/18 for a while and loved it. Had meant to progress to the flute but my tutor passed so didn't have the desire to push then. Have been thinking of getting back into it for a while so let's see.

andoireabu

Quote from: hsthompson on November 28, 2011, 11:28:03 AM
Fixed it there.  The sheetmusic isn't just for fiddle and there are guitar tabs there as well.  The letters near the to of the page will get you more tunes to try
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

The Gs Man

Practice practice practice!

Although I was puked with the Irish Music when I was growing up.  Both my brother and sister are mad into it, with the brother actually making a living out of it.

Get this in round your earholes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF--f7JxFPk
Keep 'er lit

ONeill

Quote from: The Gs Man on November 28, 2011, 08:26:30 PM
Practice practice practice!

Although I was puked with the Irish Music when I was growing up.  Both my brother and sister are mad into it, with the brother actually making a living out of it.

Get this in round your earholes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF--f7JxFPk

Phew! Thought that might have been CK for a second.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Daft hewer O'Neill - sure it only has 10 dislikes.