The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I liked 2. It took a while to get used to the rather serious change of direction, and Ziggy is a character you could never warm to, but the storyline is, if anything, a bit tighter than series 1.

Cúig huaire

Ive only watched 2 episodes and I want Ziggy dead.

No not you ziggy.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Minder

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 03, 2009, 09:22:10 PM
Ive only watched 2 episodes and I want Ziggy dead.

No not you ziggy.

Aye he was an annoying p***k, series two is totally different, it is set in the winter and well there are a lot more white faces. It does tie things together later on towards the end of the show, where the drugs come from etc.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Archie Mitchell

They are all good. It's good the way each series focues on something different but it all ties in with the whole story. Best drama series ever. The part with Ziggy and the duck is funny.

AFS

I really liked season two, probably my second favourite one after season four with the kids.

Santino

Quote from: AFS on November 03, 2009, 10:25:09 PM
I really liked season two, probably my second favourite one after season four with the kids.

I'll second that!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 03, 2009, 09:17:21 PM
Is it just me or is series 2 a bit of a let down after series 1? The first seres was excellent, some of the best TV I have ever watched.
thought it was the weakest series aswell, still good though!
thought 4 was the best
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Main Street

I liked season 2.  Imo, Sobotka was the Wire's most powerful character outside the central wire/drugs theme.

I felt for him, dedicated, brave, fearless no matter the odds and dumb, just like my Dalmation dog.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 03, 2009, 08:54:46 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on November 03, 2009, 07:56:24 PM
Just completed watching all 5 series of the show - great stuff!

Did anyone else notice Rawls in the gay bar in series 3 when some people where looking for Omar? I've been waiting to see if this came back on him but was never mentioned or was i seeing things?
Aye I posted something about this a while back as I also thought it was a hook for a later story but it never materialised. Just a wee glimpse into his life. I think at one point in a later series he mentions something about taking it in the ass or something similar.

Someone is taking a slash in the homicide department jacks (Landsman I think) and there's graffiti on th wall saying "Rawls sucks c**k."

BennyHarp

Quote from: gallsman on November 04, 2009, 01:35:55 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 03, 2009, 08:54:46 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on November 03, 2009, 07:56:24 PM
Just completed watching all 5 series of the show - great stuff!

Did anyone else notice Rawls in the gay bar in series 3 when some people where looking for Omar? I've been waiting to see if this came back on him but was never mentioned or was i seeing things?
Aye I posted something about this a while back as I also thought it was a hook for a later story but it never materialised. Just a wee glimpse into his life. I think at one point in a later series he mentions something about taking it in the ass or something similar.

Someone is taking a slash in the homicide department jacks (Landsman I think) and there's graffiti on th wall saying "Rawls sucks c**k."

Aye right enough - and Landsman laughs to himself as if he knows something!
That was never a square ball!!

blewuporstuffed

finally finished watching the 5th series last night.
what a show, without a doubt some of the best television ever made.actually think the 5th series might be the best of the lot.
great way to finish.
could actually see myself watching the whole 5 series again (i know sad isnt it :-\ )
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nifan

Just found out there was a wire quiz int he errigle last night :(

Would have been good craic but im sure there would have been more than a few obsesives who would run away with it.

Class of 99

Was advised about a month ago to stick with it and am glad I did excellent show. I'm half way through series 4, but think series 2 so far has been the best. Not feeling any love for the Omar character yet though much to many peoples surprise nor did I like Stringer. Avon was the man knew where he came from and didn't get ahead of himself, still ended up in jail though. Bubbles is a good character and hoping to see some more of brother mizon (pardon spelling) great show though so far

Cúig huaire

Finished season 3 late last night. Excellent stuff. The Wire just gets better and better. I started watching the wire on BBC2 after reading this thread, sadly I missed the first two series and most of the third. Its all makes sense now, getting into something half way through you never really get to know the characters, so I am glad I was able to see it from the start.
I didn't like Omar, but then again I didn't know him. His performance in the courtroom in series 2 was fantastic. He made the lawyer look like a fool and managed to win over both the judge and the jury. He plays by his own rules, I just wish I didn't know what happens to him now.
I was delighted to see Stringer get his comeuppance, I was gutted when he had D. Barksdale killed. D was a great character with a heart of gold.
I really enjoyed Series 4 first time round, I am sure I`ll enjoy it as much this time. Normally when I have seen something before I wouldn't bother to watch it again, but with The Wire you seem to notice so much more the second time. This has to be the best TV ever.

Strange thing is, while watching series 1, I realised I had seen a bit of one of the episodes. I had watched about 15 minutes of the episode where D. Barksdale gets arrested and decided it wasn't for me. How wrong was I?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E&feature=related
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

AFS

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 18, 2009, 08:41:00 PM
Strange thing is, while watching series 1, I realised I had seen a bit of one of the episodes. I had watched about 15 minutes of the episode where D. Barksdale gets arrested and decided it wasn't for me. How wrong was I?

Same thing happened me. Watching it on DVD I noticed that I'd seen a few random scenes on TG4 before, but had never settled to watch a whole episode because I didn't have a notion what was going on.