Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: screenexile on July 28, 2017, 09:56:09 AM
Watched a few films recently.

Really enjoyed Logan it won't win any Oscars but not bad for a franchise movie considering more than half of them are rank and that's pretty much all there is right now.

Split . . . was interesting but felt it was lacking something probably 6.5/10

The Founder . . . good movie really interesting story considering it's true and well acted by Keaton

Manchester By the Sea . . . best I've seen in a long time 9/10

By the sounds of things Dunkirk is a fairly scenic and artsy film which is why it's getting all the plaudits. Will probably watch it out of nosiness.

Hollywood is getting some kicking from the amount of quality TV that's available now they really need to get their act together because there franchise movies get old really quickly!
Thought it was superbly acted and gripping.  Did I enjoy it? Not sure.  Did it leave an impact?  Absolutely.  Would I watch again?  Not sure?    Do you know what I mean?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on July 28, 2017, 06:18:53 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 28, 2017, 09:37:17 AM
I thought it fairly average now.

Was it me or was the sound awful? All noise and couldn't hear the dialogue.

Maybe it was the cinema I was in.

Same. I seen it in Omagh.
There wasn't much dialogue to hear. The Hans Zimmer score was class and was an almost constant background. For me the film didn't live up to the hype. 7.5/10 for the film and 9/10 for the score and sound effects.

Syferus

I think ye missed the fact there was almost no dialogue in it to begin with. Slow start but it built to a great ending.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 28, 2017, 09:37:17 AM
I thought it fairly average now.

Was it me or was the sound awful? All noise and couldn't hear the dialogue.

Maybe it was the cinema I was in.

I asked the staff at the cinema what the deal was with the sound because for me it was deafening. Half the people in the audience had their fingers in their ears every time there was a scene of aerial combat. He said it's a known issue with that film. If he turned the volume down you wouldn't be able to hear the dialogue. Bit of a rookie mistake for a filmmaker to make. You'd expect a first-time director to miss that in sound editing but not someone of Nolan's profile.

That said, I liked the film.

More here: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/dunkirk-too-loud-christopher-nolan-1201860027/

Tony Baloney

There have been loads of complaints about the sound. I didn't find it too bad and I can say now with certainty that it will win an Oscar sound editing.

JimStynes

I thought Dunkirk was excellent!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on August 02, 2017, 10:11:32 PM
I'm going to watch it again to see if my opinion changes. I fell asleep for a bit so that didn't help.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 02, 2017, 10:15:06 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 02, 2017, 10:11:32 PM
I'm going to watch it again to see if my opinion changes. I fell asleep for a bit so that didn't help.

The French locals giving off about how they've be written out of the history of Dunkirk
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Apparently there was a hundred or so Indian soldiers on that beach too. There's an interesting story there, probably worth a film of its own.

Gold

Great story in the Belfast Telegraph yesterday about 2 men one from Andersonstown and one from the Shankill keeping each others heads out of the water before being rescued at Dunkirk by  a wee boat
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Ethan Tremblay

Watched IT at the weekend.  Reminded me of the Goonies a lot.  Really funny and not so much a horror film.  9/10 easy. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Tony Baloney

Tony Baloney

trileacman

I tried watching the old blade runner but it was very slow couldn't get through it. Any chance I'd like the new one?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on October 08, 2017, 10:23:42 PM
I tried watching the old blade runner but it was very slow couldn't get through it. Any chance I'd like the new one?
There is no doubt it's not for everyone which is indicated by poor box office despite having very good critical reviews. I think 2049 is easier to watch. Give it a lash.