Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windmill abu

Nasri agrees to join Arsenal from Marseille
French international midfielder Samir Nasri has agreed to join Arsenal from Olympique Marseille on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

Nasri (21), who made two appearances for France in Euro 2008, was voted as the French Ligue 1 'Young Player of the Year' for 2006/07 and was also Olympique Marseille's Player of the Year for 2007.

Nasri, has made twelve appearances (scoring twice) for the French national team, making his debut for his country in March 2007 in the 1-0 friendly win over Austria. He was also a French Under-21 international and part of the French Under-17s who won the European Championships in 2004.

The young attacking midfielder made 145 appearances (scoring 11 goals) for Olympique Marseille, during which time he won the UEFA Intertoto Cup in 2005, was a French Cup runner-up in 2006 and 2007 and helped his side into third place in Ligue 1 last season, thus securing a UEFA Champions League place for next season.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: "We are delighted to be signing Samir Nasri. He is young, quick and technically an outstanding player. He has shown great potential with his performances for Marseille and the French national team over the past two seasons and he will add great quality to our squad."

Nasri added: "I'm very happy to become an Arsenal player, it means such a lot to me. This is a very important step in my life as a football player because Arsenal is a massive club. I really hope everything will go well for me here. I will do my best for Arsenal and its fans and I am honoured to be part of such a great football club."

Samir Nasri is due to join up with his new Arsenal team mates for pre-season training on 21st July

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=493818&lid=NewsHeadline&Title

Finally this transfer is complete.

It's good to see Arsenal bring in a new player as opposed to all the current rumours about players leaving
Never underestimate the power of complaining

ildanach

from the beeb

Arsenal's Belarus midfield man Alexander Hleb is undergoing a medical at Barcelona on Wednesday ahead of an £11.9m move to the Nou Camp.

Barcelona confirmed the deal for the 27-year-old on the club website and he arrives as Ronaldinho travels to Italy for a medical at AC Milan.

Hleb had been linked with Inter Milan, but Barcelona have won the race.

Arsenal have also lost Matthieu Flamini to AC Milan and Gilberto Silva is poised to sign for Panathinaikos.

Barcelona have announced that Hleb will have medical tests throughout Wednesday and is expected to sign a contract on Thursday.

Barcelona vice-president Marc Ingla confirmed in June that they were in talks to sign Hleb, saying: "Barcelona's negotiations with Hleb are still in progress.

"But despite him being a player with special qualities, if his club are not ready to sell him, we have other options in mind."

Hleb's departure from the Emirates Stadium has seemed likely all summer after the player admitted he was "mentally tired" of the combination of living in London and playing top-level football.

He joined Arsenal in 2005 after the club paid Stuttgart £11.2m for his services, and if he signs he will become Barcelona's fifth summer signing following the arrivals of Seydou Keita, Gerard Pique, Martin Caceres and Daniel Alves

not big profit on the sale but a profit all the same. Lets hope nasri can fill the void. We need more goals from mdfield ala pires and freddie
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

jaykay

Quote from: ildanach on July 16, 2008, 01:23:54 PM

not big profit on the sale but a profit all the same. Lets hope nasri can fill the void. We need more goals from mdfield ala pires and freddie

Do any of ye think that Nasri and Cesc are very similar players.  Will they be able to play in the same team or has Wenger another role planned for Nasri in the same way he moved Henry from the wing?

ildanach

i think he will play him on the wing as he can play either through the centre or out there. Dont think he will be an  out and out winger though e.g overmars but more a player who will tuck in when needed to link play. Hopefully he will chip in with a few goals though as they have been like hens teeth from midfield over the last few years
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ONeill

Mixed feelings about Hleb leaving. Loved watching him play - sort of a schoolyard approach, dribbling around 3-4 players and then doing it again. However, his stats were atrocious and was a bit of a luxury when it was backs to the wall. Replacing Pires still haunts AW.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

hitzelsperger

im the same as o'neill, still dont know how wenger is going to replace all these midfielders the has sold, no holding player now that flamini and silva are gone, nasri will come in but is more attacking, think barry would be a good addition but ideal player would be senna that played for spain, a younger model of makalele and knows exactly how cesc plays. will be interesting to see how rosicky fits in after long lay off with injury..hope Van Persie stays fit as i think he has the potential to rip teams apart, like bergkamp what he lacks in pace he makes up in awareness and doing the unexpected.

what about the defence...will arsene contine to play gallas and toure...id prefer to see gallas out of the centre but clichy and sagna have made the wing back rolls their own and senderos needs to be got rid of wether its released on a free or sacked for being rubbish!also what about goalkeepers...we have almunia but who is the back up now that the mad german is away..

alot of questions for arsenal fans to think about though i honestly dont think arsene would let players go if he didnt think he could replace them!

AZOffaly

Quote from: hitzelsperger on July 16, 2008, 11:12:17 PM
im the same as o'neill, still dont know how wenger is going to replace all these midfielders the has sold, no holding player now that flamini and silva are gone, nasri will come in but is more attacking, think barry would be a good addition but ideal player would be senna that played for spain, a younger model of makalele and knows exactly how cesc plays. will be interesting to see how rosicky fits in after long lay off with injury..hope Van Persie stays fit as i think he has the potential to rip teams apart, like bergkamp what he lacks in pace he makes up in awareness and doing the unexpected.

what about the defence...will arsene contine to play gallas and toure...id prefer to see gallas out of the centre but clichy and sagna have made the wing back rolls their own and senderos needs to be got rid of wether its released on a free or sacked for being rubbish!also what about goalkeepers...we have almunia but who is the back up now that the mad german is away..

alot of questions for arsenal fans to think about though i honestly dont think arsene would let players go if he didnt think he could replace them!

Younger, but not by much. According to WSC he is 32.

Edit: Just wiki'd him. He's 32 today. Happy Birthday dear Marcos, happy birthday to you.

ildanach

gilberto & hleb both gone on the one day.ENOUGH IS ENOUGH THE SUMMER SALE HAS TO FINISH TODAY!! We need to sign 2 midfielders & a centre back and a keeper to challenge for the title next season

ONeill

Good man Gilberto. A rock in the Invincibles. Good luck and thanks for the service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywzn18ihtsc

Uladh

ONeill

ONeill

Carmen Stateside

What division is Barnet in ???

ONeill

Yes I Would

Yis can add a new keeper to the shopping list as well!