Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

QuoteVery lucky today lads. Fcuk all wrong with Freddie's goal. Dean Ashton should have buried thon header!

Lucky in the sense that they got the Freddie decision but they deserved the win, Foster was man of the match and Arsenal were fantastic at times, terrible tackle on Helb and Noble should have seen red. This team can only get better....
#newbridgeornowhere

Puckoon

Lunch has been ordered, setanta is on, the desk is littered with papers making it look like im busy, and we are ready to roll!
Hup the gunners.

hoopsaaa

Puckoon

Not great at all. Poor miss by fabregas.

ONeill

Lazy from Arsenal so far. Steau are shoite but could nick one.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

hoopsaaa

But they are starting to dig out the odd win - good sign but its so bloddy early in the season - remember the invincibles ;)

ONeill

ONeill

ildanach

from arsenal.com

Emmanuel Adebayor's hopes of qualifying for January's African Cup of Nations were dashed on Friday. Sevilla striker Freddi Kanoute and Mamadou Diallo scored in either half for Mali as they ran out 2-0 winners in Lome. The result is good news for Arsenal fans as it means Adebayor will not miss a large chunk of early 2008 as expected.

Thats great news. We will only be without toure and eboue now. Hopefully the games that djourou is getting with birmingham will help him fill in for toure as i dont trust senderos
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

spiritof91and94

Yeah, very good news indeed... If only Toure would quit internationals!

ONeill

Arsenal commission bust of Arsène Wenger

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that it has commissioned a bust of Arsène Wenger, which will take place of honour at Emirates Stadium.

An exact replica of the bust was unveiled by Arsenal Chairman Peter Hill-Wood at the Club's AGM at Emirates Stadium on Thursday in front of hundreds of Shareholders.

The final version of the bust, which will be cast in bronze and completed by the end of the year, has been created by figurative sculptor Etienne Millner, who has been painstakingly working on the piece for the past eight months.

After unveiling the bust, which the Club kept a secret from Wenger until the AGM, Arsenal Chairman Peter Hill-Wood said: "We are delighted to have commissioned a bust of Arsène Wenger, which will be located in an appropriate place of honour at Emirates Stadium.

"The bust is in recognition of the truly fantastic job which Arsène has done at Arsenal Football Club. Since joining us in 1996, Arsène has guided Arsenal teams to seven major trophies and has revolutionised the Club, not only through the brand of stylish and successful football which his teams play, but through his detailed and insightful input into the development of Emirates Stadium and our Training Centre at London Colney.

"Only recently, we were delighted to announce that Arsène signed an extension to his contract, keeping him at the Club until 2011. He will, as a result of this contract extension, become the longest serving manager in the history of the Club."

The bust of Arsène Wenger will join three other famous busts to be associated with Arsenal Football Club and particularly Highbury Stadium, where a bust of legendary manager Herbert Chapman greeted visitors to the famous Marble Halls in the East Stand of the Gunners' old stadium.

The other two busts at Highbury were of former Chairman Denis Hill-Wood (Peter's late father), which took pride of place in the Directors' Landing in the East Stand, while the West Stand was home to a bust of Claude Waterlow Ferrier, the designer of that stand at Highbury.

Since the move from Highbury, all three of these busts have been in safe storage, pending a decision on their final appropriate locations at Emirates Stadium.

Etienne Millner's previous commissions are wide ranging and have included monumental portraiture, figure groups, busts of politicians, writers and musicians. Among them are Sir Lennox Berkeley, Lord and Lady Harris of Peckham, Toyah Willcox, Adrian Daintrey, Viscount Whitelaw, Field Marshal Sir Claude Auchinleck, Lord Thurlow, Rumer Godden, Sir Derek Alun-Jones, Lord Allenby, Lord Balfour of Inchrye, Count Jules Dembinski and Alexander Wyndham.

Further details on the final location of the Arsène Wenger bust at Emirates Stadium, together with the three other famous busts, will feature on Arsenal.com in the near future.

Puckoon

How impressive is that scoreline. On another note however, what about this eejit!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7058711.stm

Lehmann issues threat to Wenger 

Lehmann is not happy at playing second fiddle to Almunia
Arsenal keeper Jens Lehmann has warned he may publicly air his grievances with Arsene Wenger if he does not play soon.
Lehmann's errors and injuries at the start of the season gave Manuel Almunia his chance and he is now first-choice ahead of the fit-again German stopper.

The 37-year-old told German TV channel Premiere: "I think - and this is aimed at my dear manager - one shouldn't humiliate players for too long.

"It's possible that some day I'll feel like talking about the whole issue."

Lehmann's comments come after he was left out of the Arsenal squad against Bolton last Saturday - a game he expected to play in after impressing for Germany earlier this month.

Almunia has not yet showed that he can win matches for us

Jens Lehmann

But Wenger, who dropped Lehmann after he gifted Blackburn an equaliser in the 1-1 draw on 19 August, stuck with Almunia and put young keeper Lukasz Fabianski on the bench.

"At the moment I'm just swallowing it all as part of the humiliation. That's something one has to take in, " Lehmann said.

"But I'm an Arsenal player and I won't just fade away quietly."

Lehmann is also bemused by Wenger's statement that he has three "world-class" goalkeepers to pick from.

"One of them must be me," he suggested. "The other two have proved their class by winning titles? If I think about that, I can't recall any. I guess today you're nevertheless world-class."

Lehmann won the Uefa Cup in 1997 with Schalke 04, the Bundesliga title in 2002 with Borussia Dortmund and the Premier League with Arsenal in 2004.

And he made it clear he feels he should still be the number one at the Emirates Stadium.

"I'm convinced that I'll be playing again. Almunia has not yet showed that he can win matches for us," Lehmann added.

"I've experienced this situation before and know what the others are expecting from the goalkeeper. I can't imagine he'll be able to handle that."

ONeill

Awesome Arsenal tonight. Prague tried to pass the ball. Big mistake. Not much more to be said.

As for the German eejit: a few said to me today, Lehmann is well capable of humiliating himself on the field anyway....

Balboa

The Jerry seems to be a real team player...........