Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Quote from: snoopdog on September 23, 2018, 07:56:04 AM
Dont create anywhere near enough chances, add that to a striker like lukaku who isnt really up to the task. Not clinical enough, not in the same class as a van nistlerooy van persie or even andy cole. Sanchez has been poor and not worth the starting place at the moment. Wolves deserved their pt if not more . How many games does de gea need to make top notch saves to get utd a result. Every single game.

RVN got at least a dozen opportunities laid on for him every game with Giigs and Beckham firing them in from wide.  Lukaku gets 3-4 a game a game mostly from deep.   No comparison.

trailer

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 23, 2018, 10:16:45 PM
Dont create anywhere near enough chances, add that to a striker like lukaku who isnt really up to the task. Not clinical enough, not in the same class as a van nistlerooy van persie or even andy cole. Sanchez has been poor and not worth the starting place at the moment. Wolves deserved their pt if not more . How many games does de gea need to make top notch saves to get utd a result. Every single game.

RVN got at least a dozen opportunities laid on for him every game with Giigs and Beckham firing them in from wide.  Lukaku gets 3-4 a game a game mostly from deep.   No comparison.

Lukaku = The Belgian Cascarino
A very average player.

NAG1

Quote from: trailer on September 24, 2018, 08:45:59 AM

A very average player.

Not biting but that is rubbish 226 PL appearances 105 goals.

I would say the next month will tell a lot as to how the season will end up and what will happen with the manager long term.
No progress in Champions League and another couple of poor defeats in the league will see the exit door looming large for JM.

Cunny Funt

As the club are run by business men instead of football men i can't see JM sacked until United mathematically they can't reach the top 4. In current form probably looking at March for that to happen.

The next manager then has a big clear out on his hands. A squad full of poor signings many of which left over from Moyes and LVG time. When you have Fellaini as a regular starter and is given a role to protect the nervous lindelof you really know how deep rooted the problems are for United at the moment.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 24, 2018, 12:16:04 PM
As the club are run by business men instead of football men i can't see JM sacked until United mathematically they can't reach the top 4. In current form probably looking at March for that to happen.

The next manager then has a big clear out on his hands. A squad full of poor signings many of which left over from Moyes and LVG time. When you have Fellaini as a regular starter and is given a role to protect the nervous lindelof you really know how deep rooted the problems are for United at the moment.
Mourinho has bought:
Pogba,Lukaku, Matic, Fred, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez,Lindeloff, Bailley and Dalot,
so he cant really complain that its not his team.
If the players aren't good enough, he has to take the blame.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Captain Obvious

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 24, 2018, 12:48:02 PM

Mourinho has bought:

I think Pogba,Sanchez was Ed Woodward signings to sell jerseys.   

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 24, 2018, 01:03:28 PM

Mourinho has bought:

Do the ammount of jesries sold make any difference to these big clubs?
I thought they just have a deal with Nike or  and get a payment for that?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Geoff Tipps

Mourinho has bought:

So does Ed make Mourinho play them too??
The whole selling jerseys stuff is a load of b*llocks anyways. Adidas pay a huge fee, around £70m to manufacture United's kit.
That figure doesn't change if a few thousand Chileans decide to buy a kit and get Sanchez on the back of it.

Hound

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 24, 2018, 01:06:31 PM

Mourinho has bought:

Do the ammount of jesries sold make any difference to these big clubs?
I thought they just have a deal with Nike or  and get a payment for that?

Deals for most clubs is straight cash and not dependant on number of jerseys sold.
Clearly the more jerseys sold means better deal you can get next time its up for renewal.
And of course any jerseys sold in club shops gives some extra profits directly to the clubs.

Bord na Mona man

The Sanchez transfer was probably Woodward showing City who were the big dogs in the transfer market.
He hasn't fitted in hugely well, so you'd wonder who wanted him the most.
The jersey thing is probably not that relevant. If kids didn't have Sanchez, they'd just pick another player instead to go on the back of their jersey.

Over the Bar

Quote from: trailer on September 24, 2018, 08:45:59 AM

A very average player.

I doubt if anyone at Cascarino's level would get anywhere near the current Belgium team!  ::)

BennyCake

You make out that Ruud scored a lot with his head with Giggs Beckham supplying. He wasn't brilliant in the air. Ruud was the best finisher I've seen at United. Maybe didn't contribute much to Workrate, tackling etc, but he was absolutely lethal at putting the ball in the net.

Minder

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 24, 2018, 01:21:52 PM

Mourinho has bought:

The whole selling jerseys stuff is a load of b*llocks anyways. Adidas pay a huge fee, around £70m to manufacture United's kit.
That figure doesn't change if a few thousand Chileans decide to buy a kit and get Sanchez on the back of it.

I thought the "buying players to sell jerseys" myth had been well enough debunked at this stage ffs
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Minder on September 24, 2018, 02:36:30 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 24, 2018, 01:21:52 PM

Mourinho has bought:

I thought the "buying players to sell jerseys" myth had been well enough debunked at this stage ffs

Indeed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths
#newbridgeornowhere

Boycey

Long since gone, I think I argued that point here 4/5 years back. It been replaced with the social media impressions phenomenon

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/real-reason-ed-woodward-wants-15130116

QuoteThe sports industry news magazine has taken a look at Pogba's marketing potential over the next three years and he comes out on top when judged on age, home market, charisma, social media engagement, willingness to be marketed and crossover appeal.
With a total social media following of just under 39 million, Pogba generates £4.42 in media value per follower because of a high engagement rate, according to sponsorship valuer Hookit. Neymar and Lionel Messi , who have close to 400m followers combined, make 67p and 70p respectively. That is music to Woodward's ears.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/02/08/manchester-united-cashing-alexis-sanchez-forwardsarrival-sets/

Quotealso broke a series of records on social media.
As well as being United's biggest ever Instagram post with two million likes and comments, the announcement of Sánchez's signing on Jan 22 was the club's most shared Facebook post ever and United's most retweeted post in history on Twitter. As well as 158,000 retweets, United's initial post introducing Sánchez generated 211,000 likes on Twitter and 14,000 comments. #Alexis7 was also the No 1 trending topic on Twitter worldwide.

"To put all that into context, the announcement posts generated 75 per cent more interactions than the announcement of the sale of the world's most expensive player last summer, when Neymar moved from Barcelona to PSG," Woodward told investors on a conference call to discuss United's latest accounts for the three months to  Dec 31 last year.

Are Utd buying players to win football matches or create revenue?