Steroids

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, July 05, 2018, 06:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

http://www.thejournal.ie/coroner-inquest-18-year-old-steroids-4110962-Jul2018/
Sad case of an 18 year old who took ill and died last year, coroner reckons it was most likely the taking of stanozolol that caused. He played rugby, GAA and basketball but I suspect like many of the young lads who are on steroids at the moment was doing it for image reasons. It really is an epidemic at the moment and I can't see it slowing down any time soon.

As an example, spotted at a gym in Derry this year:

gallsman

People in Ireland will continue to stick their heads in the sand and pretend it's not an issue.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

It will have to lead to major health issues down the line.

bennydorano

Gym culture is certainly more prevalent than it was years ago but I'd say it's fairly certain there's lots of this shit knocking about. What's more dangerous, vanity or aspirational sporting gains?

Syferus

Quote from: bennydorano on July 05, 2018, 09:24:45 PM
Gym culture is certainly more prevalent than it was years ago but I'd say it's fairly certain there's lots of this shit knocking about. What's more dangerous, vanity or aspirational sporting gains?

Given the increased mass and strength, using them in contact sports is far more dangerous to more people. As bad as one person doing it do themselves is, inflicting the results of PEDs on others is the real tragedy.

Insane Bolt

You want to try working with those who abused steroids and ended up with mental health issues also. Police couldn't believe that we were expected to use simple restraining holds whilst getting battered, kicked, spat on and bitten....they arrive in full riot gear and there are a dozen of them.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I reckon vanity would account for the majority of the abusers, that is not to say that sporting needs is not a big problem it is just that there are less aspiring sports stars than instagram models.
A general rule too is that once you take steroids the use of cocaine on nights out increases, I don't know why but from personal experience any of my acquaintances who take steroids are also coke heads.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 05, 2018, 10:05:11 PM

I reckon vanity would account for the majority of the abusers, that is not to say that sporting needs is not a big problem it is just that there are less aspiring sports stars than instagram models.
A general rule too is that once you take steroids the use of cocaine on nights out increases, I don't know why but from personal experience any of my acquaintances who take steroids are also coke heads.

Pretty generalised there but that's the case for myself as well. Although the whole coke problem in Ireland needs a thread of its own.

tiempo

Quote from: Therealdonald on July 05, 2018, 10:15:25 PM

Pretty generalised there but that's the case for myself as well. Although the whole coke problem in Ireland needs a thread of its own.

Start an Irish Narco thread, would be genuinely interested to hear people's take on it, wouldn't be well versed

heffo

Not that I mix in those circles generally but anyone I know that is taking steroids also anecdotally takes coke on nights out too

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: heffo on July 06, 2018, 10:42:34 AM

Not that I mix in those circles generally but anyone I know that is taking steroids also anecdotally takes coke on nights out too

Sounds like the States in the mid 90's

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

brokencrossbar1

Id say that a lot of this has to do with vanity and images. Coke is an 'image' drug. Steroids are used for vanity purposes mostly. When you run in the circles of people who supply one type of drug then you will Likely be offered others. Also the buzz from coke would appeal to adrenaline junkie muscle men. I'm only surmising here and have no actual evidence to support it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 06, 2018, 01:27:32 PM

Id say that a lot of this has to do with vanity and images. Coke is an 'image' drug. Steroids are used for vanity purposes mostly. When you run in the circles of people who supply one type of drug then you will Likely be offered others. Also the buzz from coke would appeal to adrenaline junkie muscle men. I'm only surmising here and have no actual evidence to support it.
Stick around, you'll do well here.

haranguerer

On the same surmising basis, I'd guess the personality who would try steroids would also be open to trying other drugs. Separately, a mental barrier has also been crossed with the foray into steroids which normalises drug use. Also, insecurities which may tempt someone to take steroids to improve their image could also tempt them to take coke to improve their confidence