Orange Order Museum in Belfast and Loughgall

Started by Orior, October 18, 2017, 10:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: michaelg on October 20, 2017, 06:40:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 20, 2017, 09:19:07 AM
To be fair michael, you weren't *just* doing that. I'd have no problem accepting that there is hatred and bigotry on both sides, although I would say the bigotry especially is far greater on one side.

But you said something along the lines that going to a Trad music session would expose them to 'bigotry'. I don't know many trad sessions that would be a hive of bigotry, and I also don't know that many rebel songs that would talk about being up to their neck in orange blood or the like. They certainly wouldn't be a common feature in any Trad/Folk session I know of.

You may hear 'Grace', or the 'Bold Fenian Men' or other songs about the struggle for independence, but if that equates to hatred and bigotry then you have different standards than I do :)

PS. The wolfe Tones even sang the 'Sash'.
I only used the trad music session as an example as this was brought up in the same post by the poster who claimed that "we don't do hatred and bigotry". 
I appreciate that most trad sessions are not "a hive of bigotry", but in some instances they can be a bit threatening and unwelcoming. By way of example, I was down south working a few years ago and we were in a pub when a session was in full flow.  Given our "Nordie" accents and the fact that we didn't know the words to most of the songs, we soon had a  number of songs sung at us / for our benefit.  Wasn't terribly pleasant.

Such bullshit. They were probably making sure that you got another reason to maintain the big chip on your shoulder
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

michaelg

Quote from: Avondhu star on October 21, 2017, 09:38:51 AM
To be fair michael, you weren't *just* doing that. I'd have no problem accepting that there is hatred and bigotry on both sides, although I would say the bigotry especially is far greater on one side.

But you said something along the lines that going to a Trad music session would expose them to 'bigotry'. I don't know many trad sessions that would be a hive of bigotry, and I also don't know that many rebel songs that would talk about being up to their neck in orange blood or the like. They certainly wouldn't be a common feature in any Trad/Folk session I know of.

You may hear 'Grace', or the 'Bold Fenian Men' or other songs about the struggle for independence, but if that equates to hatred and bigotry then you have different standards than I do :)

I only used the trad music session as an example as this was brought up in the same post by the poster who claimed that "we don't do hatred and bigotry". 
I appreciate that most trad sessions are not "a hive of bigotry", but in some instances they can be a bit threatening and unwelcoming. By way of example, I was down south working a few years ago and we were in a pub when a session was in full flow.  Given our "Nordie" accents and the fact that we didn't know the words to most of the songs, we soon had a  number of songs sung at us / for our benefit.  Wasn't terribly pleasant.

Such bullshit. They were probably making sure that you got another reason to maintain the big chip on your shoulder
Yeah, you're right, I obviously imagined it and misheard the numerous 'Up the Ra' chants shouted in our direction.

Itchy

Quote from: michaelg on October 21, 2017, 10:08:13 AM

Yeah, you're right, I obviously imagined it and misheard the numerous 'Up the Ra' chants shouted in our direction.

Michael - if that's the case you were probably very unfortunate to come across a bunch of Neanderthal morons. I've been to trad sessions up and down the country and never heard what you described. I would recommend you try the fleadh ceoil next year in  Ennis I think, it's a great experience.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on October 21, 2017, 10:30:55 AM
Michael - if that's the case you were probably very unfortunate to come across a bunch of Neanderthal morons. I've been to trad sessions up and down the country and never heard what you described. I would recommend you try the fleadh ceoil next year in  Ennis I think, it's a great experience.

Indeed, such a thing would be very uncommon and rightly so.

Speaking of OO history, I was poking around for some other information and I came across a fact previously unknown to me, that the Arts centre in Birr was originally built as an Orange hall! Offaly interesting.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

StGallsGAA

Quote from: michaelg on October 21, 2017, 10:08:13 AM

They heard your Nordie accents?  Wtf!?  You'll hear northern accents at virtually every trad session down south.  What difference are you suggesting that would make?  I've been to 1000s of trad sessions and never heard IRA songs or chants once never mind numerous times. Away and bring your bigotry back to wherever you came from as everyone can see through your waffle as your certainly weren't at a trad session if it happened at all!

T Fearon

Could he be mixing a trad session with a Rebs night somewhere?

Rossfan

Might have been a Shinner do (assuming it hapoened)
How did they know Michaeleen and his mates weren't Catholic/Nationalist??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on October 21, 2017, 07:41:05 PM
Might have been a Shinner do (assuming it hapoened)
How did they know Michaeleen and his mates weren't Catholic/Nationalist??

They didn't know the second verse of The Men Behind  the Wire.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on October 21, 2017, 03:00:36 PM

Speaking of OO history, I was poking around for some other information and I came across a fact previously unknown to me, that the Arts centre in Birr was originally built as an Orange hall! Offaly interesting.
Offaly and Laois were planted in the 1600s . Portarlington had a big Huguenot population at one stage.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2017, 05:32:20 PM
Could he be mixing a trad session with a Rebs night somewhere?
The most likely scenario.

T Fearon

Is there an active Orange presence (Halls,Lodges etc) in the South,outwith the Border counties, and Dublin and Wicklow? E.g. In any part of Munster?

LooseCannon

Quote from: armaghniac on October 21, 2017, 03:00:36 PM

We disown them. Your man in the castle is one of them. Although, he is the most hated person in Offaly. When the People's Debate was in Offaly, all of the area of land around Birr was "affluent". It was because he owns it all.

Newbridge Exile

My father has been organising traditional singing sessions for over 30years and I have never once experienced rebel songs/ Chants  like has been claimed by a previous poster ,

imtommygunn

Yeah i have never seen anything like it at traditional sessions at any time either.

Itchy

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2017, 11:50:56 PM
Is there an active Orange presence (Halls,Lodges etc) in the South,outwith the Border counties, and Dublin and Wicklow? E.g. In any part of Munster?

I know of one or two in Cavan and monaghan but nowhere else. The protestants in the south have become more enlightened than there northern cousins and have rejected sectarianism.