China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on March 25, 2020, 05:57:11 PM
You deliberately missed the middle bit there.

The note about lying can only pertain to that. What else can they do with numbers but lie about them?

What is the more sinister about?
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Gmac on March 25, 2020, 05:58:14 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 25, 2020, 05:53:38 PM
Quote from: Gmac on March 25, 2020, 05:39:51 PM
where did I say they concocted this to make money ? Are they selling medical supplies all over the globe ?

Quotechina profiting from the virus selling medical supplies all over the world , 1.3 billion people in China and they have less dead than Spain? Something fishy there either they are lying or something more sinister, countries will have to learn to be self reliant in the future is the lesson to be learned from this .

What else does more sinister mean?
did u answer my questions

Since lying about number is a deliberate act and you've noted that separately - what are you suggesting they've done deliberately that is not fiddling the numbers?
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

With most people stuck at home and sport suit down there is SFA happening anywhere. There is very little news in the newspapers either. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gmac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 25, 2020, 06:07:27 PM
Quote from: Gmac on March 25, 2020, 05:58:14 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 25, 2020, 05:53:38 PM
Quote from: Gmac on March 25, 2020, 05:39:51 PM
where did I say they concocted this to make money ? Are they selling medical supplies all over the globe ?

Quotechina profiting from the virus selling medical supplies all over the world , 1.3 billion people in China and they have less dead than Spain? Something fishy there either they are lying or something more sinister, countries will have to learn to be self reliant in the future is the lesson to be learned from this .

did u answer my questions

Since lying about number is a deliberate act and you've noted that separately - what are you suggesting they've done deliberately that is not fiddling the numbers?
do you think they worried about the virus spreading around the globe or did enough to make sure this didn't happen , were they truthful with the information they had ?

bennydorano

Quote from: seafoid on March 25, 2020, 06:16:35 PM
With most people stuck at home and sport suit down there is SFA happening anywhere. There is very little news in the newspapers either.
I still buy 2 papers a day but it is so obvious how far old media is behind social media in such a fast moving situation, wasting my money tbh. Irish News is on thin ice atm!

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Gmac on March 25, 2020, 06:47:20 PMdo you think they worried about the virus spreading around the globe

Yes. Chinese made products have to be sold around the globe for the Chinese economy to prosper.

Quote from: Gmac on March 25, 2020, 06:47:20 PMor did enough to make sure this didn't happen

After the initial screw up by the local government in Wuhan, as soon as central government realised what was happening, it was jumped on. It was jumped on in a way no Western government has yet had the balls to replicate.

Quote from: Gmac on March 25, 2020, 06:47:20 PMwere they truthful with the information they had ?

Mostly. There are number peer-reviewed publications coming out of China from the middle of January onward.

They are certainly as truthful as any of the bull coming out of our free press and democratic governments.

i usse an speelchekor

laoislad

235 new cases with unfortunately 2 more dead today.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: bennydorano on March 25, 2020, 07:47:59 PM
I still buy 2 papers a day but it is so obvious how far old media is behind social media in such a fast moving situation, wasting my money tbh. Irish News is on thin ice atm!

Good time for one of them ould 'MLA expenses scandal' stories that they regularly trot out, when there's no news to report on. FOI legislation was specifically enacted to enable journalists to put in 100s of stupid questions to organisations, for free.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on March 25, 2020, 08:33:55 PM

Good time for one of them ould 'MLA expenses scandal' stories that they regularly trot out, when there's no news to report on. FOI legislation was specifically enacted to enable journalists to put in 100s of stupid questions to organisations, for free.

FOI is a source of endless mundane stories sold as if they were sensational. "X spent on Y" is the usual format. Find some expense that sounds like it could be frivolous, find out how much was spent on it, add up the amount of time until you get it into a decent sized figure and before you know it you've got a headline like "£6,000 spent on finger food" as the headline on a story in which there were 12 events over the course of a year with £500 worth of snacks laid on for a crowd of a hundred people each time. 

Ball Hopper

Is there a map of Ireland showing cases by county?

marty34

I made a New Year's resolution to stop buying the Irish News - it's going downhill badly.  Nothing but ful page ads and holiday pull outs.  Last straw,was they kept putting only one staple into it.  Cutting costs everywhere.

They must be, like all papers, getting squeezed by the net.

RedHand88

Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2020, 10:02:48 PM

I made a New Year's resolution to stop buying the Irish News - it's going downhill badly.  Nothing but ful page ads and holiday pull outs.  Last straw,was they kept putting only one staple into it.  Cutting costs everywhere.

The problem with newspapers in the modern world is by the time they get the stories out and printed, it's old news.

delgany

Online subscription is £15 for 4 weeks , which is reasonable value and saves going to the shop on a daily basis.  Agree some of the quality is poor, not enough in depth stories . One recent positive is the two day story /  coverage of GAA people  e.g Sean mc greevy this week.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: marty34 on March 25, 2020, 10:02:48 PM

In my day there was no staple.