Laugh of the Century - 125 years

Started by Bud Wiser, September 08, 2009, 07:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Anyone with the slightest interest in hurling will get a great laugh if you go over to the "GAA" forum and read some of the posts there about hurling!  Jesus lads its better than you could ever imagine.  About five different threads now with contributions from "lower the blades Indiana" (they are known to lower the blades....) to "He (Tommy Walsh) should have been shot in Three Castles where the FCA train by Zulu and above all how to take a sideline cut by a man that I believe to be from county Down who just forced himself into watching his first game of hurling - ever.  Hop over there straight away, particularly if you are involved in training young lads, you will even get tips on how to take a sideline ball.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

the waffler

Zulu

Quote"He (Tommy Walsh) should have been shot in Three Castles where the FCA train by Zulu

Eh? If you're going to attribute a post to me at least do so accurately and while I'm at it here's one of you're own gems...

QuoteThere are a few over on the hurling thread moaning about fouls being allowed to go as well but by and large they are not allowed to go but because hurling is so fast the advantage rule is applied in a lot of cases.  This is because players do not go down too often but stay on their feet and get on with it.

What a load of bollix, we all know you see no evil when it comes to hurling but you're fooling nobody with rubbish like that. Oh and get off your high horse, you're not the only poster who knows a thing or two about hurling, your arrogant post here reflects more on you than anything posted about hurling on the GAA forum.

Rossfan

I think like most Laois folk Bud is still trying to recover from the shock of discovering that players from other Counties hit the ball.  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bud Wiser

Oh, have ye all finished the witch hunt ye had on for Tommy Walsh?

QuoteWhat a load of bollix, we all know you see no evil when it comes to hurling but you're fooling nobody with rubbish like that. Oh and get off your high horse, you're not the only poster who knows a thing or two about hurling, your arrogant post here reflects more on you than anything posted about hurling on the GAA forum.

During Cork  v Kerry on Sunday week I'd say you will have enough frees to last you a lifetime.  The comments made on the GAA (football thread) are there to be seen and read by others and to see some of the stuff appended from not alone "think they know a thing or two about hurling" but worse, think they know it all is a joke.  Indiana has this fixation with the term 2lowering the blades" wherever he got it from so in almost every pot about Kilkenny there is a lowering of the blades, Tommy Walsh, lowers the blades, the Kilkenny backs lower the blades, you would think the film Zulu was being described.

Tommy Walsh is, or should be Hurler of The Year.  It might upset a few GPA heads. The Cats won the All-Ireland and four in a row fair and square and there are still people going around crying about a penalty, but, not surprisingly, none of te whinging is coming from Tipperary.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

INDIANA

Poor ould Tommy must be related to you Bud. And my opinion of him holds. Fine hurler but not one I'll ever have a liking for. Would have far more time for Shefflin and a few others. If you've got a problem with that then take up with your mate Peter Mc Kenna as he seems to run the GAA these days.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 10, 2009, 08:31:01 AM
Tommy Walsh is, or should be Hurler of The Year.  It might upset a few GPA heads. The Cats won the All-Ireland and four in a row fair and square and there are still people going around crying about a penalty, but, not surprisingly, none of te whinging is coming from Tipperary.

Hear hear!

well said Bud.

Bud Wiser

It is about time that Brian Cody came out of his shell a bit with regard to giving an insight to the public in general as to what makes the Cats tick.  Thankfully he has and apart from his book which I can't wait for here is a little snippet from yesterday's Herald.  !!!

http://www.herald.ie/sport/hurling/walsh-victim-of-a-witchhunt-cody-1881449.html

Bud Wiser

Seems I was wrong about Tipp not whinging?  The following from the Chairman of the Board.

QuoteTIPPERARY chairman, Barry O'Brien has floated the suggestion of tabling a motion to Congress next year to adopt video replays to aid referee's to make marginal calls in big matches.

O'Brien was commenting on the penalty awarded by Diarmuid Kirwan to Kilkenny last Sunday for a foul on Richie Power which appeared to be outside the large square.

"It's not every day you get to an All-Ireland final but, having made the effort, you would like to ensure that the big calls are the correct calls," O'Brien said.

"I think the Association should consider using technology to ensure that in future the big calls that are made on the big day are the correct calls and that the ten months work put in by a team to get to the final is not influenced by one incorrect decision - if that is the case.

"We as a county will have to consider bringing a motion to Congress next year to try and introduce the use of technology in the provincial finals and an All-Ireland semi-finals to ensure the decisions are not only the right decisions, but seen to be the right decisions," he added.

I'd say John Doyle or Jimmy Doyle or Liam Devanny would have had a right laugh if they had been told that the way to win an All-Ireland in Croke park was to have the right technology!  Jeeeeeeeeeeezus H... ?  I don't know why Cody did not play Gorta from the start on Sunday but other than a bad patch in the third quarter the Cats were never going to loose - even if Tipp had Bill Gates and half of the Microsoft Corporation on the bench.

INDIANA

Fair play to O Brien for being honest. At least he didn't sit on the fence.

bottlethrower7

forgive me for paraphrasing Barry O'Brien, but essentially what hes saying is that 'if Tipp aren't good enough to win the game on the field of play, they'd like there to exist possibilities of winning it other ways'.

would that be about right?

bottlethrower7

and if he wants aspects of rugby introduced to hurling why not go the whole hog and propose that if a player in possession of the ball is out of play, the ball is out of play regardless of whether its over the line or not.

that would account for Kilkenny's second goal.

Now, I need to go and look at all the rest of Kilkenny's points to see if there are any rule changes we can propose that might prevent a reoccurrence of them in future.

INDIANA

Because it would mean decisions would be correct rather than incorrect which destroys the game we're trying to promote. Why wouldn't people want to improve matters. Rugby now gets no decisions wrong at the highest level. Refs are showing week in and week out they can't get decisions right in the GAA. So why not help them?

Video replay is not used in the AIL in rugby. So there is no precedent for its use at lower levels of the game. At the very highest level I see nothing wrong with a ref checking something if he's not sure.

bottlethrower7

there are 2 linesmen, 4 umpires and a 4th offiical as well as a ref.

I know a fairly high-profile ref and he once told me that he would always instruct all those officiating to act as extra pairs of eyes for him. He said he'd be disappointed if they missed something between them, but that was the challenge that kept them on their toes. Down the years if you saw this ref in action, you'd be amazed at some of the subtle things they caught.

Rugby is a stop-start type game. Hurling is not. Hurling is very much about flow and momentum. Introducing anything (especially something so superfluous as a video referee) to disrupt either of those would prove a death-knell to a game that already limited enough on exciting matches as is.

Decisions can go wrong. When they do they tend to balance out. Kilkenny never griped about the appalling display by Seamus Roche in the all-Ireland semi-final in 2005. Luck wasn't theres that day. Perhaps it was theirs last sunday. But you have to take the good with the bad.

EddieMerx

How do they implement this video ref, for every free? penalty decisions only? if penalty decisions only then what about a bad 21 yd free decision as quiet a few goals are scored from 21's. Then we have the problem of what happens if a goal is scored but the ref gives a free out wrongly for barging or over carrying. A free from midfield could change a game with it resulting in a goal or winning point........... my head hurts thinking about this! We would need to be very careful that the video ref doesn't destroy the flow of the game.