Laugh of the Century - 125 years

Started by Bud Wiser, September 08, 2009, 07:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Tommy, only a little lad and everyone at him !

If there is anything to be changed it is how far forward you can move forward after you rise the ball  but before you strike it to take a penalty.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

INDIANA

well its not good enough to get those calls wrong, and i dont believe it evens itself out either.
Refs rarely use their linesmen, and old age pensioners for umpires dont count as officials just because they are drinking buddies of the ref. That also needs to be looked at. Should have proper refs doing umpire..

EddieMerx

Quote from: INDIANA on September 10, 2009, 02:42:35 PM
well its not good enough to get those calls wrong, and i dont believe it evens itself out either.
Refs rarely use their linesmen, and old age pensioners for umpires dont count as officials just because they are drinking buddies of the ref. That also needs to be looked at. Should have proper refs doing umpire..

Agreed, We need to improve those officials all ready there! Umpires should take on more responsibility, why couldn't the ref get his umpires opinion on Sunday as to where the foul was committed. Linesmen are refs but never seem to do anything but wave their flags, surely they can help the ref out, the only technology used should be linking umpires, refs and linesmen via headsets like in rugby.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 10, 2009, 02:18:24 PM

If there is anything to be changed it is how far forward you can move forward after you rise the ball  but before you strike it to take a penalty.

The mighty Tommy Walsh.  Maybe he should take up the auld stand up comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLHtB3R9bUs

NAG1

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 10, 2009, 02:18:24 PM

The refs have stopped pulling players up on fouling the ball, as they lift the ball whilst striking a free. DJ Carey introduced this fouling of the ball to free taking, its not a lift balance the ball then throw it up action it should be a lift clean and strike. As for the penalties there is no way of stopping a player lifting the ball in a forward direction and then striking as long as he doesnt foul the ball in doing so.

Bud Wiser

Sorry there NAG1, what I meant was running up to a 21, rising the ball and moving forward while hitting it .
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Franko

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 10, 2009, 02:56:24 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 10, 2009, 02:42:35 PM

Agreed, We need to improve those officials all ready there! Umpires should take on more responsibility, why couldn't the ref get his umpires opinion on Sunday as to where the foul was committed. Linesmen are refs but never seem to do anything but wave their flags, surely they can help the ref out, the only technology used should be linking umpires, refs and linesmen via headsets like in rugby.

For all major games this already happens.  One umpire at each end, both linesmen and the ref have an intercom system whereby they can all communicate with each other.  The linesmen also have a buzzer system which they use to attract the referee's attention to any unsavoury incidents they witness etc.

EddieMerx

How come we see an umpire with his hand up while the game goes on for a few minutes. Do they just forget to change the batteries

Franko

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 16, 2009, 12:05:04 PM
How come we see an umpire with his hand up while the game goes on for a few minutes. Do they just forget to change the batteries

Like when?

Bud Wiser

:D
http://www.hurlingblog.com/2008/07/31/munster-under-21-final-fiasco/

Franko

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 16, 2009, 12:39:21 PM

:D
http://www.hurlingblog.com/2008/07/31/munster-under-21-final-fiasco/

Fair enough, I dont know why it wasnt being used that day - maybe they didnt replace the batteries, maybe the umpire didnt know how to use it, maybe peter mckenna used a radio jammer to stop people from orchestrating a pitch invasion, or maybe it was the Cork hurling team from the back of a tranny van in the car park - who knows.
;)
What I do know is that my first point is correct.  This set-up is used by the officials at the big games - fact.

Bud Wiser

QuoteWhat I do know is that my first point is correct.  This set-up is used by the officials at the big games - fact.

Is the Munster U21 Hurling Final not a big game? Surely if they have the technology they use it in all intercounty games, otherwise it is an unfair competition in that teams who benefit from it in some games have an advantage over teams that could have lost a game in the early stages for the same reason?  I am not saying you are wrong by the way, I am just wondering why they do not use the same rules in all games otherwise it could lead to a load of appeals and confusion.

As for Peter McKenna and the Cork hurlers, Peter doesn't do Walkie Talkie, he prefers being on National radio which he does a good job of and the nearest Cork hurlers will get to Croke Park in the next few years will be in the back of a tranny van in the car park allright.