Derry 1993 - 25 years on

Started by ONeill, August 17, 2018, 01:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

County Final on Boxing Day @ Glenullin in the snow
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

APM

Lots of great and very fond memories here. 

Funny, its in marked contrast to present day, when I don't sense much of a connection between Derry (GAA) people and the county team. OK, they haven't been going well, but I find it a bit depressing when you hear people saying that they couldn't care less about it. Is it the case that the people have fallen out of love with the county team, or that 1993 and the interest that it generated was an aberration and people were never too bothered in the first place. 

rrhf

Seen the up for the match Derry song there. Was there ever a song about Eamon Coleman or that teams achievements. Perhaps a newly penned verse or 2 could give common cause emerging from their nostalgic year and people will remember those great days a quarter of a century ago.

oakleaflad

Quote from: APM on August 22, 2018, 11:33:44 AM
Lots of great and very fond memories here. 

Funny, its in marked contrast to present day, when I don't sense much of a connection between Derry (GAA) people and the county team. OK, they haven't been going well, but I find it a bit depressing when you hear people saying that they couldn't care less about it. Is it the case that the people have fallen out of love with the county team, or that 1993 and the interest that it generated was an aberration and people were never too bothered in the first place.
There is a difference in saying it and truly meaning it though. Like most Irish people, Derry people love complaining and as we are not going well at the moment the easy thing to say is 'I don't care about the county' and concentrate on their club. The truth is that most people complaining only want to see us doing well again.

Jeremiah O

I have a house full of weans who can't believe that once upon a time Derry actually had a team good enough to win an all Ireland.
Unconquered and unconquerable

markl121

I was only two at  th time but still have a couple of vague memories. Like standing in the rain in maghera waiting on the team to come through. There was another time in ballymaguigan where the cup was there i remember my ma bringing me in a panic to my cousins to borrow a derry jacket so I could have my photo took in the cup.
My da recounts a few tales of sliding down the stands in the muck at clones. About meeting brian mcenifff on the pitch afterwards and shaking his hand.
The ticket scramble for the final where his name and my ma name both being pulled out of the hat in the club draw for tickets, and a man delivering them at the dead of night hidden in a black bag.

I wish I had been old enough to enjoy it, as those days look further away than ever now

JoG2

Quote from: Jeremiah O on August 23, 2018, 02:10:25 PM
I have a house full of weans who can't believe that once upon a time Derry actually had a team good enough to win an all Ireland.

And I've a house full of wains believe you actually are a 'bullfrog'..wains will believe anything  ;D

Dubh driocht

I was at three of the games; Newry, Clones and the semi-final.
Derry were a fine team- physical and skilful, with a passionate and canny manager.
In Newry, Brolly didn't play because I think he was doing exams; I remember standing beside McGilligan after the game and Brolly came along, grabbed his head and kissed him on the cheek. McGilligan genuinely was perplexed; didn't know whether to hit him or kiss him back.
Clones was scarey - I was on the Hill and people were sliding all over the show. It was brutal on the field and a terrible way for defending champions to lose their crown.
I went by train to the semi-final from Belfast and the craic up and down really was 90. Brolly's pace tormented the Dubs but Johnny's left foot was the most memrable moment of the year.
I thought the Downeys and Dermot Heaney were the stars of the final- Gormley's point was magic- and Tohill came of age.
I was delighted to see that team went an All Ireland even though I've had tough days against several of the players.

rosskarr

Quote from: Dubh driocht on August 24, 2018, 08:28:00 PM
I was at three of the games; Newry, Clones and the semi-final.
Derry were a fine team- physical and skilful, with a passionate and canny manager.
In Newry, Brolly didn't play because I think he was doing exams; I remember standing beside McGilligan after the game and Brolly came along, grabbed his head and kissed him on the cheek. McGilligan genuinely was perplexed; didn't know whether to hit him or kiss him back.
Clones was scarey - I was on the Hill and people were sliding all over the show. It was brutal on the field and a terrible way for defending champions to lose their crown.
I went by train to the semi-final from Belfast and the craic up and down really was 90. Brolly's pace tormented the Dubs but Johnny's left foot was the most memrable moment of the year.
I thought the Downeys and Dermot Heaney were the stars of the final- Gormley's point was magic- and Tohill came of age.
I was delighted to see that team went an All Ireland even though I've had tough days against several of the players.
Didn't realise Dubh Driocht,that you had played County Football.Fair play.Good memories for the Derry ones.

Champion The Wonder Horse

grounded

It's probably been said before, but the Derry of that era should have at least another All Ireland to their name. A super team with a real strong central spine and some classy forwards.

I was at the ' massacre at the Marshes' and the Ulster final drenching. I watched the semi or parts of it in A and E in Newry. I vividly remember mc Gurks point at the end. I
     The final was a strange affair. Derry should really have won by a lot more but the occasion did get to them a little.
       A top team.

BennyCake

I always felt Derry was Ulsters best chance to keep the run going in 1995. Tyrone beat them, but I thought they wouldn't have enough to win an AI. And so it proved. 1995 was a big opportunity for Derry to win a second AI.

It's weird that that team never really got close again.

Newbridge Exile

It's all if's but's and maybe's but if the back door had have been in place in the early 90's it wouldn't  have been a huge surprise to me if at least one more all Ireland had have came the way of Derry

An Watcher

Awwww the Ulster semi final in 95 v Derry.  What a game, great memories

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on September 23, 2018, 12:56:45 PM
I always felt Derry was Ulsters best chance to keep the run going in 1995. Tyrone beat them, but I thought they wouldn't have enough to win an AI. And so it proved. 1995 was a big opportunity for Derry to win a second AI.

It's weird that that team never really got close again.
Football was very competitive in the 90s. The next 5 Sams were won by 5 different teams plus Tyrone, Mayo and Kildare were also in the mix.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU