The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

A semi final at least should be par for their ranking but as yesterday showed though we often bottle it when it matters and seeing as a QF will be against NZ or SA then we are fecked

GetOverTheBar

Not a wind up question, but a general thought.

Has the last 12 months went to some of the Irish players heads.....?

thewobbler

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 17, 2019, 10:39:43 AM

I wouldn't say that.

Ireland are far from an exceptionally talented team. Their gameplan under Schmidt is based primarily on minimising mistakes, and applying a relentless, punishing tempo once the screw is turned.

The problem with this system is that it's nigh-on impossible to maintain for a prolonged period of time. Players are humans, not machines. They all feed off each other, and once standards slip at all, they'll slip across the board. And it's bloody difficult to hit a reset switch in your brain halfway through a game.

Ireland need a plan B for the World Cup, one which sees the shackles being taken off, if only for a few minutes - when a game is slipping away. But tbh I'm not sure if we've the players to do off-the-cuff.

BarryBreensBandage

Ireland have a record breaking try scorer in Stockdale. How much quality ball did he get in the whole 6N?
Kearney had the opportunity to pass him the ball on numerous occasions and predictably cut inside and got tackled.
Another thing I can't understand is why did Schmidt announce he was leaving when he did?
Why does this happen continually in all sports? Why did he not just say we will wait until the end of 2019 to see what will happen. If Ireland do well in the world Cup it won't matter, but they haven't looked the same team as last year.
I hope, as some have suggested, that they are holding back.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Wildweasel74

Zebo should still be on the panel. I why was the exception make for sexton but no one else

nrico2006

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 17, 2019, 09:57:04 PM
Zebo should still be on the panel. I why was the exception make for sexton but no one else

Bit of a joke situation to be fair.  Zebo on form should be on the panel and you can't make exceptions to the rule if you want to appear fair/consistent. 

As mentioned, Schmidt didn't need to announce he was leaving, usually doesn't pan out well for a teams fortunes.  When you want to leave, just go.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BarryBreensBandage

I agree with you, but it wouldn't matter a shite. He wouldn't get the ball. Look how hard it is for our backs, 11-14, to get on the ball. It's shocking that players of the calibre of Ringrose, Earls and Stockdale have to feed off scraps, and only really see the ball when there's no other option. I would say Zebo is happy out.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on March 17, 2019, 11:04:06 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 17, 2019, 10:39:43 AM

I wouldn't say that.

Ireland are far from an exceptionally talented team. Their gameplan under Schmidt is based primarily on minimising mistakes, and applying a relentless, punishing tempo once the screw is turned.

The problem with this system is that it's nigh-on impossible to maintain for a prolonged period of time. Players are humans, not machines. They all feed off each other, and once standards slip at all, they'll slip across the board. And it's bloody difficult to hit a reset switch in your brain halfway through a game.

Ireland need a plan B for the World Cup, one which sees the shackles being taken off, if only for a few minutes - when a game is slipping away. But tbh I'm not sure if we've the players to do off-the-cuff.

I think there are some, Kearney, Ringrose and even Earls is a good open field runner. Problem is that if they deviate from the rigid game plan then they're gone with Schmitt.
What once made Ireland strong is now their achilles heel. Predictable with their lack of offloads meaning teams can go through the phases with them, slow down the ball and Ireland will either box kick, kick to the corner or go for a wrap around. If a knock on doesn't occur in the meantime.

Healy giving penalties away for fun at the minute.

I think some of these lads have gone to the well once too often for a good world cup.

seafoid

Ireland probably don't have the strength in depth to be so choosy. The interests of the provinces and the national team aren't always
in perfect alignment.
Bit of a nightmare tournament considering the expectations going into it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

Paddy Jackson was still very unreliable at that stage....in a sporting sense.

Rudi

Jack Carthy in mighty form for Connacht. 20 mins turns game on its head.

Owen Brannigan

If Zebo was to be recalled for World Cup it would be at full back and the issue would now be his fitness.  Since going to France his body shape has changed and his fitness will have reduced to that found in the Top 14. He would need to be pulled into the Irish squad system and conditioned to the level of the existing players.

Despite the hype over the last couple of years about the depth of talent available in Irish rugby its not that great.

Injuries that will be inevitable during the world cup have had an effect on the team selection for the 6 nations.

Making Kearney your first choice full back denies the wingers the ball needed to be a real attacking force.  Kearney's default move is to hold the ball and then run at an angle into the centre while ignoring the winger on the outside.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 23, 2019, 01:22:23 PM
If Zebo was to be recalled for World Cup it would be at full back and the issue would now be his fitness. Since going to France his body shape has changed and his fitness will have reduced to that found in the Top 14. He would need to be pulled into the Irish squad system and conditioned to the level of the existing players.

Despite the hype over the last couple of years about the depth of talent available in Irish rugby its not that great.

Injuries that will be inevitable during the world cup have had an effect on the team selection for the 6 nations.

Making Kearney your first choice full back denies the wingers the ball needed to be a real attacking force.  Kearney's default move is to hold the ball and then run at an angle into the centre while ignoring the winger on the outside.

Go on....say what you mean, he's fat. He's about 5-6kg overweight. Easy lost if your leaading the right lifestyle.

Walter Cronc

Josh VdF out for rest of the season with groin injury. Jeez the injuries to back rowers is brutal.

gallsman

Great quick thinking from Earls and Murray managed to get a suplex in on his opposite number. Great work altogether.