China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on September 21, 2020, 10:37:50 AM
If I'm not feeling well should I go to Wobbler or other Gaaboarders, "Karen" or the Doctor???
All illness is a con perpetrated by Big Medicine

They have a vested interest that people think they're ill, if nobody thought they were ill, Big Medicine would all be out of a job

I'm trying to "think" like the Wobbler here

Rossfan

The local undertakers would then have a massive increase in business.
Support your local undertaker!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: sid waddell on September 21, 2020, 11:33:14 AM
If I'm not feeling well should I go to Wobbler or other Gaaboarders, "Karen" or the Doctor???

They have a vested interest that people think they're ill, if nobody thought they were ill, Big Medicine would all be out of a job

Sid I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

There doesn't have to be a deep-seated reason why things are the way they are.

The recurring picture since March is that governments are simultaneously confused at what to do, and petrified of making the wrong move.

And I don't blame them either: if the most important epidemiologists on earth are urging somewhere between clear caution and complete shutdowns, then it would take an exceptionally brave (stupid?) politician to ignore their advice.

But implementing that advice is an absolute minefield and the limbs of governments have been shattered to pieces.

I don't trust them to make the right decisions here, as there are no right decisions.

——-

And on a related note, I don't believe the Covid strain that is currently circulating Ireland at a rapid pace, is even remotely as dangerous as the global killer strain we were promised at the start of the year.  There is literally no evidence to suggest that this virus has any (short term) effects on the majority of people it encounters.

——

Is that clear enough?

armaghniac

125 new cases of Coronavirus in Northern Ireland, 1,014 cases recorded during the past 7 days.

Co Louth has seen 120 cases in past fortnight compared to 18 in previous two weeks
Donegal has seen 102 cases in the past fortnight, compared to 18 in the previous period.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on September 21, 2020, 12:38:55 PM

The recurring picture since March is that governments are simultaneously confused at what to do, and petrified of making the wrong move.

And I don't blame them either: if the most important epidemiologists on earth are urging somewhere between clear caution and complete shutdowns, then it would take an exceptionally brave (stupid?) politician to ignore their advice.

But implementing that advice is an absolute minefield and the limbs of governments have been shattered to pieces.

I don't trust them to make the right decisions here, as there are no right decisions.

——-

And on a related note, I don't believe the Covid strain that is currently circulating Ireland at a rapid pace, is even remotely as dangerous as the global killer strain we were promised at the start of the year.  There is literally no evidence to suggest that this virus has any (short term) effects on the majority of people it encounters.

——

Is that clear enough?
I don't know whether you're an actual conspiracy theorist, but what I do know is that you have a worldview that is permeated so much by total and utter cynicism about everything that there is essentially no difference between you and a conspiracy theorist - and that makes discussion with you impossible

Of course you believe there are no right decisions - your whole worldview is based on the notion that there is no right anything, that all knowledge is junk

This is the narrative pushed by Russia and pro-Russian trolls and it's the narrative that has the world in the state it's in at the moment

The virus that is circulating around Ireland is the same virus that has been circulating since March

It is a global kiiller and has been proven to be such, despite your ultra-cynical protestations

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on September 21, 2020, 12:38:55 PM

——-

——

Is that clear enough?
Read one of the government scientists saying that the strain is the same, it just appears weaker as the age profile of the positive results is now much lower and sees more people survive it.

Hereiam

Tony I think its more to do with the doctors & nurses in the hospitals having a better idea of treating this virus now whereas before they were just putting everyone onto a ventilator which lowers your chances of a recovery.

thewobbler

HereIAm would that that theory not need a rise (or at least some sort of constant) in terms of hospital admissions to ring true? I'm not dismissing the improvements in knowledge by the way - medical staff will intuitively build a repertoire of techniques over time. But the vast majority of people who contract the virus seem to have little need for medical help.

Tony Baloney, the government scientist should know more about this than me. But if it actually is the same strain, then would that not mean that the original strain was just not as potent as we were forewarned?

trileacman

There is reason to believe that the virus would lose potency over time. As the virus evolves the less pathogenic versions of it will spread more readily than the highly pathogenic versions. If it's quickly striking down it's host then they're less likely to spread the contagion than someone going about their business as usual.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

armaghniac

Quote from: trileacman on September 21, 2020, 07:44:49 PM
There is reason to believe that the virus would lose potency over time. As the virus evolves the less pathogenic versions of it will spread more readily than the highly pathogenic versions. If it's quickly striking down it's host then they're less likely to spread the contagion than someone going about their business as usual.

While this is true, Coronaviruses mutate much less than flu viruses, so this is not going to make much difference in the short term.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

highorlow

Why isn't Sweden on the green list yet? With a 10mil population they have now less people in ICU than we have. It's not proven yet and the poster police here don't allow me to comment (they just dig up old posts like angry women when I do comment) but it really does appear that the smart lock down of Sweden will work, they have not and are careful not to sing victory (unlike the Kiwi's) but the daily evidence appears to be proving them correct.

It will be interesting to see the science and evidence in a year or so as to the most favorable lockdown time for future policy and if the policy of locking young healthy people in their houses and flats was the incorrect strategy instead of just having a smart lockdown aka the Swedes and allowing kids in school etc. One also assumes the Swedish economy will bounce back quicker.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/sweden/
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

How many cases overall in Sweden?
How many deaths ?
How many cases last week?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

The Swedish deaths in the springtime were inflated by mistakes they made in putting infected patients into nursing homes. As ours were.

highorlow

How many cases overall in Sweden? No one knows exactly but the worldometers graph chart reports 88237
How many deaths ? 5 deaths out of 10mil pop reported on 18th Sept graph
How many cases last week? No one knows exactly but the worldometers graph chart reports 227 cases on the 17th Sept - i don't know if this is one day

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Milltown Row2

So could we have had the smart lock down?

Shut airports/ports down for 3 weeks
Lockdown business work for 3 weeks
Essential travel only, 4 mile only
Close schools 3 weeks
Wearing of masks mandatory in public spaces

I'm sure sure there are other things I've forgotten, but if we do the likes of this when we actually have a big spike (which we are having) would it not be better in the long run and better for the economy?

Then analyze the data after that period to see if there are tweaks to be added or lessened

Its really stating to f**k me off with the:

Can't meet up with anyone but kids from all households can go to school.
Can't drink after 10pm in a pub as they don't want people staying out late, but can sit in it from 12pm through to 10pm
Can't meet close friends in the house but can meet them at diner or now in the pub?
Can't go to my parents house, but I can take them to hospital appointments and other medical appointments

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea