The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Agree with the comments about the game, although in a strange way I was waiting for it all to go pear shaped, as we seemed to totally dominate, spurn a hatful of great chances, and therefore still only led by a single goal. The high energy and work rate though is something to behold!  :)

Billys Boots

Leeds were top this day last season also.  And then ...
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 19, 2018, 09:41:46 AM
Leeds were top this day last season also.  And then ...

Correct Billy. Indeed I was amazed to hear last weekend that this time last year we were actually two points better off than the same weekend in 2018.  :o

Mourne Rover

It is correct that Leeds were top after seven games last year, with five wins and two draws, but they then went on a shocking run of seven defeats in nine games, and eventually finished among the also-rans. The previous season was far more disappointing, as they looked certain for the play-offs with five games left but then completely collapsed to end up seventh. It is inevitable that the club will hit a bad run at some stage this year, but the evidence is that Bielsa has put together a squad and a system which is more resilient that anything we have seen since relegation from the Premiership in 2004. While there are a mere 38 matches to go, the prospects at this stage are more than decent.

Insane Bolt

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Mourne Rover

Yesterday was the first genuinely poor performance of the season from Leeds, but a point could easily have been rescued had it not been for two pretty dreadful errors from the young keeper, Peacock-Farrell. He inexplicably managed to dive the wrong way for the first goal, and he appeared to be unsighted when the second trickled over the line. There must be a fair chance that Bielsa will bring in Blackman, who has been kept on the bench so far, for what will be a massive test in the derby away to Wednesday on Friday night. Leeds are probably surprised to be top of the league at this stage but it is a cut-throat division with only two points separating the top six.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 23, 2018, 09:38:04 PM
Yesterday was the first genuinely poor performance of the season from Leeds, but a point could easily have been rescued had it not been for two pretty dreadful errors from the young keeper, Peacock-Farrell. He inexplicably managed to dive the wrong way for the first goal, and he appeared to be unsighted when the second trickled over the line. There must be a fair chance that Bielsa will bring in Blackman, who has been kept on the bench so far, for what will be a massive test in the derby away to Wednesday on Friday night. Leeds are probably surprised to be top of the league at this stage but it is a cut-throat division with only two points separating the top six.

Peacock-Farrell has been playing well to date. Apart from Saturday, the only goal I can recall being down to him was the free-kick that beat him at Derby. However he is unquestionably not the best goalkeeper at the Club. That honour belongs to Jamal Blackman and he needs to be starting sooner rather than later.

seafoid

Wolves lost 7 matches last year and topped the table. 1 in 7 is decent form. 1 in 9 is quite good
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Rover

Leeds would probably have taken a draw coming into the game this evening but should have won it pulling up on the night. Wednesday scored a wonder goal out of the blue and Leeds dominated otherwise. While it was a good statement after the Birmingham setback, and proved that the kind of collapse seen at this stage last season is highly unlikely, it was definitely two points dropped. However, we are back on track.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 28, 2018, 11:18:24 PM
Leeds would probably have taken a draw coming into the game this evening but should have won it pulling up on the night. Wednesday scored a wonder goal out of the blue and Leeds dominated otherwise. While it was a good statement after the Birmingham setback, and proved that the kind of collapse seen at this stage last season is highly unlikely, it was definitely two points dropped. However, we are back on track.

Agreed totally with this. The one concern for me was the lack of squad depth, but even taking that into account, we have been very unlucky to lose both Bamford and Roofe at the same time.

Hull City away next, and I assume available on the 'red button'? 

Billys Boots

8 bloody 'derbies' this season - not healthy for any side, but good for the bank balance, I suppose.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mourne Rover

Apparently every Leeds game on a Tuesday night for the rest of the season is available via the red button. We also have more games on the normal Sky Sports channels than any other side in our division, and quite a few in the premiership as well, proving again the scale of the club if Bielsa  can keep us going in the right direction.

seafoid

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45634936

Hull boss Nigel Adkins:

"We've probably played against one of the best teams in the Championship I've seen in many years.

"They are going to take teams to the cleaners this season. If you think we are on a level playing field, we're not.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ziggy90

What planet's he on? Birmingham beat Leeds for their first win of the season and I can assure you we're no world-beater's.
Wolves last season were the best side I've seen in the Championship for a long time (you don't know how it grieves me to say this).
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered