The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

AZ I try and play once a week. We have a youg baby so that restricted me a bit. I play in Hollystown ( a mile or so north of Blanchardstown)
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

stephenite

Played a lot as a teenager down in Enniscrone, wasn't a natural but was getting better. Haven't played since, bought a new set of clubs a few weeks back and heading out on me own tomorrow morning to see how I go, if I lose only 10 balls I'll be on here boasting about it.

Is it worth getting a few lessons to get the swing right or shoudl I just work it out for myself?

Tankie

Quote from: stephenite on July 10, 2008, 11:30:49 AM
Played a lot as a teenager down in Enniscrone, wasn't a natural but was getting better. Haven't played since, bought a new set of clubs a few weeks back and heading out on me own tomorrow morning to see how I go, if I lose only 10 balls I'll be on here boasting about it.

Is it worth getting a few lessons to get the swing right or shoudl I just work it out for myself?

I think lessons are a must for peopel new to the game BUT there is no point in getting lessons if you are not gonna practice either on the course or at the range!
Grand Slam Saturday!

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 10, 2008, 11:28:19 AM
AZ I try and play once a week. We have a youg baby so that restricted me a bit. I play in Hollystown ( a mile or so north of Blanchardstown)
Its quite a nice course Gerry, played it last Saturday with the brother in law as his own place was closed (Glen of the Downs) because of flooding.  Actually met Johnny Giles on the 9th tee box (or 1st of the Red course??).  Is he a member there?

Myself, I play out of Loughrea.  Annual sun is €496.  Hello money for a new member is about €860 I think.

gerrykeegan

Enniscrone some place to start! Played it once an absolute gem.  Get two lessons just to get the basic set up and swing right.

AZOffaly

I was going to say the same thing. Unless you're relatively serious about playing to a decent level, and intend playing a bit, there's no point getting lessons I'd say. Get a few issues of Golf World and pick up a couple of pointers instead :D

gerrykeegan

Mister Giles is one of the members, I think he is an honorary something or other. Only problem is the Dublin footballers are always there, they have their Fundraisers there.

venter

Try this : http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-swing-a-golf-club

You might pick up a tip or two. Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for damaged lamp shades or ornaments, while you practice your swing the videojug way in the comfort of your own living room.

The Real Laoislad

I was a member of a Golf Club back home,€1500 per annum,I don't get too play as much now that i have my own company,It was grand when i was on the clock as i could nip away early on a Friday and get someone else to clock me out and get a round in   :D
I can have really good days and shoot in the mid to low 80's but also have horror shows when i can shoot close to the ton..My best score is in Gowran Park golf course in Kilkenny,I shot a 77
Haven't played in any competitions or anything in over 12 months so only get to play a round now and again with the auld fella,So my scores are on the high side at the moment..
The last month has been good though i managed to get out 4 times..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stephenite

Quote from: venter on July 10, 2008, 02:18:50 PM

Try this : http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-swing-a-golf-club

You might pick up a tip or two. Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for damaged lamp shades or ornaments, while you practice your swing the videojug way in the comfort of your own living room.

Cheers for that Venter - might be handy to have a look at just before heading to the driving range.

Didn't lose a ball on that round, luckily hit a tree on the 17th while it was on it's way into the river and had a favourbale bounce back onto the fairway :P

The Real Laoislad

Finally bought a new driver after weeks of researching and looking..
In the end i went for this http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail.asp?pID=190
I have a terrible slice off the tee at times so this is suppose to help correct that,though I'm sure it won't be a miracle cure either :-\
Anyone else hear the chain of golf stores Golf Works closed down?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gawa316

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 08, 2008, 10:46:18 PM
In the end i went for this http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail.asp?pID=190
I have a terrible slice off the tee at times so this is suppose to help correct that,though I'm sure it won't be a miracle cure either :-\

I ahve the world's worst slice. I'm now so used to it I aim at about 45 degrees to the left of the tee. Apart from that I'm actually quite good but it takes all my distance away. Anyone have any tips on getting rid of a slice?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on August 08, 2008, 11:52:09 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 08, 2008, 10:46:18 PM

I ahve the world's worst slice. I'm now so used to it I aim at about 45 degrees to the left of the tee. Apart from that I'm actually quite good but it takes all my distance away. Anyone have any tips on getting rid of a slice?

Ha Ha i know exactly what you mean :D

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Causes-a-Golf-Slice?&id=1156237
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gawa316

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. cheers for that.

I played down in Dingle recently at the links course there and the boy I was playing with (No better than me) was changing my stance, swing, grip etc by the end I hadn't a feckin clue what I was doing.

I definitely have the open face so I'll have to close it off a bit. the in to out swing bit is a bit more complicated. i'll have to get out on the course to try it out

Puckoon

What ever is going really. The high end balls from most manufacturers are all good enough. I have my favourites though

Pro V1s
Nike Black One
Callaway HT Tour

The maxfli revolution ball isnt bad, and Im going to try out the taylormade ball that sergio uses this month

That srixon that Fyurk uses isnt bad either.