Blue Screen of Death

Started by Shamrock Shore, October 03, 2008, 11:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

My Vista laptop has gone nuts over the past week.

I've had about 20 incidents of the infamous 'Blue Screen of Death' - some within 5 mins of each other.

All after I accepted a big update from Microsoft.

It's a right pain in the swiss!

Anyone else have similar problems?

Tony Baloney

Can you do a rollback on the update? I would roll it back if possible and see if it resolves itself. If it does wait for the next update and hopefully it'll be okay. Unless the update was for a critical security patch i wouldn't bother in this situation.

Shamrock Shore

Tony

Amazingly yon update deleted all my restore points. Since I started the thread I've discovered that iTunes 8.0 and Vista are having a row, leading to a major row between Apple and Microsoft.

BSoD are happening all over the world for folk with iTunes and Vista.

So, 10 mins ago, I removed iTunes from the laptop so let's see where it goes as it's very embarrassing when laptop tanks at a business meeting.

Tony Baloney

Sounds like a nightmare! Our IS department are still refusing to rollout vista until the issues are resolved.

gerry

had the same problem last year when i had 1 gig of memory on my pc, i up graded to 2 gig and have had no problems since
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

J70

Stick with XP for another couple of years boys!

I thought the blue screen of death had died with the introduction of XP anyway? I haven't seen it since my Windows 98 days ended a few years back.

Blacksheep

It's a bit late telling him to stick with XP now!
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

J70

Quote from: Blacksheep on October 04, 2008, 11:15:06 AM
It's a bit late telling him to stick with XP now!

Perhaps, but the problems with Vista have been well advertised since it came out. Plus, assuming you've been around a while, the teething problems with the various Windows OS releases over the years have always taken a while to sort out. It will be the same with Windows 7 when it comes out, allegedly in 2010.

Shamrock Shore

J70.

I agree Vista is a dog but it was bundled with this new Toshiba - I cannot even begin to think of wiping the HDD, bringing on XP and then getting all the various drivers.

All seems ok - no BSoD today  perhaps getting rid if iTunes was the answer.

gerry

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 04, 2008, 10:43:15 PM
J70.

I agree Vista is a dog but it was bundled with this new Toshiba - I cannot even begin to think of wiping the HDD, bringing on XP and then getting all the various drivers.

All seems ok - no BSoD today  perhaps getting rid if iTunes was the answer.

how much memory you have
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

balladmaker

QuoteMy Vista laptop has gone nuts over the past week.

I've had about 20 incidents of the infamous 'Blue Screen of Death' - some within 5 mins of each other.

All after I accepted a big update from Microsoft.

It's a right pain in the swiss!

Anyone else have similar problems?

I had the exact same problem on my PC. I got a big update fro Microsoft a few days ago, and since then, strange things started to happen e.g. blue screen, PC wouldn't shut down without being turned off at the wall!, PC wouldn't start up correctly, sound card not working right....  Eventually got it to restore to a point before the latest update, all back to normal again.

Shamrock Shore

Quotehow much memory you have

Gerry - I'm struggling along with 2 GB of memory!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 05, 2008, 10:06:11 AM
Quotehow much memory you have

Gerry - I'm struggling along with 2 GB of memory!
upping it to 3GB would do no harm

also for anyone that gets a new laptop, wipe it and install xp or vista - download drivers and save them all to external hard disk for future use.
Factory default installs of operating systems are a disaster waiting to crash at any stage.
A self built Os will last far longer and give less trouble.