Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: Syferus on September 12, 2018, 01:10:36 PM
Quote from: stephenite on September 12, 2018, 09:53:46 AM
Quote from: iorras on September 12, 2018, 09:14:03 AM
If that's the case this will end similar to the previous JackO experiment all them years ago.
I reckon someone on our board has the "Kerrys golden years" video at home on constant loop and believes football ended sometime in the early 80s

I don't understand this, Jack O'Connor has nothing to do with the Kerry establishment of those days. He is a proven manager at this level, and when not at this level is a proven All Ireland winner at underage.

Hell of a sight better than the one trick pony that is Jimmy McGuinness, we dodged a bullet with that charlatan who hasn't achieved anything in Gaelic Football in years

That said, Horan should be the preferred candidate for me

The game has changed a lot at senior since even wee Jack was last in charge. Bizarre to call Jim McGuiness a charlatan when he still remains the last person to beat Dublin in the championship.

Enjoy being bled dry if this isn't the usual wind up..

Jim MCG is a one trick pony, got out after he was found out

Manning18

Quote from: stephenite on September 13, 2018, 03:38:15 AM
If that's the case this will end similar to the previous JackO experiment all them years ago.
I reckon someone on our board has the "Kerrys golden years" video at home on constant loop and believes football ended sometime in the early 80s

I don't understand this, Jack O'Connor has nothing to do with the Kerry establishment of those days. He is a proven manager at this level, and when not at this level is a proven All Ireland winner at underage.

Hell of a sight better than the one trick pony that is Jimmy McGuinness, we dodged a bullet with that charlatan who hasn't achieved anything in Gaelic Football in years

The game has changed a lot at senior since even wee Jack was last in charge. Bizarre to call Jim McGuiness a charlatan when he still remains the last person to beat Dublin in the championship.

How was he found out? He got out after making an All Ireland final with an average to good group of players, beating the seemingly unbeatable Dubs and losing the final mainly because his goalkeeper kicked a short one straight to Donaghy.

His 4 years are probably one of the most impressive management stints in history, given what he achieved in a small county pick wise, where football isnt the most popular sport, with a moderately talented group of players whose historical team ethos involved more dancing on tables than dancing between cones.

It's unquestionable that teams have adapted against the defensive style and its no longer as effective. But who's to say he couldnt adapt with that? His 2011 style was markedly different from the way they played in 2014, and that last year he gave us was hardly unsuccessful as you seem to suggest.

trileacman

Quote from: Manning18 on September 13, 2018, 11:06:22 AM

How was he found out? He got out after making an All Ireland final with an average to good group of players, beating the seemingly unbeatable Dubs and losing the final mainly because his goalkeeper kicked a short one straight to Donaghy.

His 4 years are probably one of the most impressive management stints in history, given what he achieved in a small county pick wise, where football isnt the most popular sport, with a moderately talented group of players whose historical team ethos involved more dancing on tables than dancing between cones.

It's unquestionable that teams have adapted against the defensive style and its no longer as effective. But who's to say he couldnt adapt with that? His 2011 style was markedly different from the way they played in 2014, and that last year he gave us was hardly unsuccessful as you seem to suggest.

Ignore him. Anyone who could favour a serial loser like Horan over Jim is clearly blinded by county loyalty.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dubhaltach

I'd agree with most of that but the bit in bold is pure nonsense. Per registered player, Donegal have the biggest pick in Ulster and when you half Galway and Cork's pick due to the hurling split, they have 6th biggest pick of the football counties in Ireland.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/gaa-investment-in-dublin-348120

Jinxy

Andy Moran being very diplomatic about the Rochford thing on OTB now.
I get the feeling the players are not overly cut up about him leaving.
Full of praise for Donie Buckley though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Jinxy on September 13, 2018, 08:33:26 PM
No surprise to hear that, the most important member on the Mayo management team the last number of years and won't be easy to find a like for like replacement for him now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Andy was the buck saying he was going to win multiple AIs a few years ago too. New man could come in and Andy might be a spectator next season.

trileacman

I find it hard to trust a man who's had the same haircut since national school.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Jinxy

Very good panel in general with Andy, Joe Canning & Michael Quinlivan and Joe Molloy as MC.
As always, he knows when to ask a question and when to back off and let the speaker gather their thoughts.
Andy made some interesting points about the Newbridge affair from the actual playing perspective.
Joe Canning clarified that he was 100% going for a score with the last free that dropped short in the final.
Just tried to hit it too hard and ended up forcing it instead of relaxing and getting a cleaner strike.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

MayoBuck

Just listened to it there. Andy said they had a great 3 years with Rochford and that Donie Buckley did great work during his time as well. He also name checked the rest of the backroom team.

What else could he do? Saying he wished Rochford was remaining would do more harm than good at this stage.

dublin7

Quote from: Syferus on September 13, 2018, 09:28:49 PM

Andy was the buck saying he was going to win multiple AIs a few years ago too. New man could come in and Andy might be a spectator next season.

No way he gets dropped. He's still Mayo's best forward and they can't afford to drop him. That in itself is one of many issues for Mayo next year.

Wouldn't fancy taking on the Mayo job. That's a rebuilding job for whoever takes over. Considering Rochford got to the final in his 1st 2 seasons it seems ridiculously harsh to sack him this year. Good luck to the poor sod who has to work with that county board

iorras

Quote from: dublin7 on September 14, 2018, 07:27:38 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 13, 2018, 09:28:49 PM

No way he gets dropped. He's still Mayo's best forward and they can't afford to drop him. That in itself is one of many issues for Mayo next year.

Wouldn't fancy taking on the Mayo job. That's a rebuilding job for whoever takes over. Considering Rochford got to the final in his 1st 2 seasons it seems ridiculously harsh to sack him this year. Good luck to the poor sod who has to work with that county board
Agree with all that Dublin7 except the rebuilding bit, plenty of the big names are still in their prime despite seeming to be around forever and there are plenty of talented 22-34 year olds with all ireland medals in their pockets who could slot in there as they have been doing the work on the development/extended panels. Criticism around Rochford was that he hadnt blended some of those lads in but I think that was because they weren't ready. Ironically I think he had been doing the work to get them ready and the new manager may just reap the rewards for that and be instantly credited as being the man who introduced new blood even though Rochford had done all the ground work. Tough gig that management lark.

Manning18

Quote from: Dubhaltach on September 13, 2018, 07:38:10 PM

I'd agree with most of that but the bit in bold is pure nonsense. Per registered player, Donegal have the biggest pick in Ulster and when you half Galway and Cork's pick due to the hurling split, they have 6th biggest pick of the football counties in Ireland.

Balls.ie. Jaysus. It's a 130k population (loads of people living elsewhere ticking yes to the census back 'home'). If you've spent any time whatsoever in the county you'd know it's mainly soccer dominated bar the few backwater spots on the south and Western seaboard, places where they can barely keep 15 young lads to field a team because they're all in Canada or Australia. They have a moderate to small pick by any metric. Those numbers are no indication of actual patricipation. It's a very poor senior club scene with more than a few clubs struggling for numbers.

heffo

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/centre-cannot-hold-as-mayo-football-beset-by-turbulent-times-1.3629763

"As a small example, Rochford occasionally found himself having to justify not just the size of the playing group but sometimes even the presence or absence of certain named players.
"Some of the county board members would have liked to think they had an influence over who was on the panel and not on the panel, even though it wasn't their place to do so," says one member of the set-up. "Stephen had to deal with all that and other things like it. That's noise and you have enough to be dealing with as a county manager without adding noise."

If that's true it's just incredible

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Manning18 on September 14, 2018, 10:09:55 PM
Quote from: Dubhaltach on September 13, 2018, 07:38:10 PM

Balls.ie. Jaysus. It's a 130k population (loads of people living elsewhere ticking yes to the census back 'home'). If you've spent any time whatsoever in the county you'd know it's mainly soccer dominated bar the few backwater spots on the south and Western seaboard, places where they can barely keep 15 young lads to field a team because they're all in Canada or Australia. They have a moderate to small pick by any metric. Those numbers are no indication of actual patricipation. It's a very poor senior club scene with more than a few clubs struggling for numbers.

;D Good man. If you don't think that the amount of registered adult club players in a county is the best way of gauging the size of pick that a county manager has then there's no point in talking to you.