Christmas Number One

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, December 16, 2009, 02:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: Dougal on December 16, 2009, 06:42:42 PM
Quote from: stpauls on December 16, 2009, 04:29:01 PM
any one on here going to get behind the campaign to get RATM to number one ahead of the X Factor brigade?

starting a kitty here in work so we can buy as many copies of the song as possible to keep that other trash from getting yet another Christmas No 1!!!

yep,i bought it again yesterday.

make sure you buy from different credit cards or accounts,because as far as i know if you buy 3 or 4 copies its counted as suspicious and not counted for the chart.maybe wrong though.

f**k you, I won't do what you tell me!

delboy

No sign of RATM on itunes download chart here clicky, are they actually counting these downloads in the chart?

stpauls

Quote from: Dougal on December 16, 2009, 07:00:18 PM
Quote from: wallyman on December 16, 2009, 06:44:14 PM
Is this for ireland no 1 or uk?

its for both it was 2nd highest selling single on itunes in both countries yesterday.

Quote from: tyrone girl on December 16, 2009, 06:46:02 PM
Am i missing something here? Why the hell would any of u want to have kittys in work etc and talk about buyin from diff accounts and cards just to keep a certain song off number one  ???

Why would you care? Personally it will make no difference to me if bloody willie crea was number one in the charts

well because for the last few years you could say the x-factor would be number 1 for xmas 12 months before you knew who would win it.they could record fcukin humpty dumty and it would be number 1.so people are looking for a bit of a change.

this is exactly why!! every year we get this manufactured shite forced upon us, by some c**k who is only looking to line his own pockets!! we need a change and this is the best way to show it!!

Quote from: thejuice on December 16, 2009, 08:29:07 PM
The thing about RATM is that for the all their protest songs the message seems to have been lost on most of their fans and once again in this Christmas no.1 thing. Killing In The Name is about racist cops getting away with the murder of black people. Yet it mostly became an anthem for angsty teens (f**k you, wont tidy my bedroom).

I'm not sure if they are still going as a band these days? I know Tom Morello was with Audioslave but I think they have stopped as well. But they were an interesting band who wore their politics on their sleeve. Their Bombtack video was basically a propaganda video for the 'Shining Path' in Peru. They also managed to close Wall Street down for half a day I think which is documented in their Sleep Now In The Fire video.

Rage will mostly remembered for the music, the songs, Tom Morello's off the wall guitar playing than their involvement or political stances. It just seems that you cant do both effectively, an entertainer and an activist. I think they struggled with positioning themselves as a political group along with being in a very successful rock band.

It kind of sums up my feelings about musicians taking up political stances about things, be it U2, Bob Dylan, RATM or anyone else, do they make even a smidgen of a difference.

They are also signed to the same label, Sony, as the X Factor karaoke act.

fortunately, it was not lost on me Juice, i especially liked their song Freedom (and video) which tried to highlight the plight of the Native Americans being brutalised and forced from their homes and land!!

INDIANA

I suppose none of you dumbos have noticed RATM record label is connected to Simon Cowell? Amazing what a little bit of research does.

Rage are signed to Epic Records which are an operating division of Sony Music Entertainment, which also has an operating division called Syco Music, owned by one Simon Cowell!!

Waken up lads.

Declan

Listen: Rage Against The Machine play live on BBC Radio, swear a lot
By Phil Udell on Thursday, 17 December 2009No Comment | Print this post
Rage Against The Machine made a memorable live appearance this morning on BBC 5Live's breakfast programme. After explaining their reason for supporting the campaign to get them to the Christmas number one in eloquent tones, they played a blistering live version of 'Killing In The Name Of'. All was going well up to the final few moments, when the inevitable happened and the BBC went into meltdown. Shelagh Fogarty's response? "We asked them not to do that but they did it anyway, so go and buy Joe's record. It's three minutes past nine". Good work all round we say.

Goats Do Shave

They are still going... I saw them at Reading last year... they were superb! One of the best live acts i've ever seen!

INDIANA

Quote from: Declan on December 17, 2009, 11:20:37 AM
Rage Against The Machine made a memorable live appearance this morning on BBC 5Live's breakfast programme. After explaining their reason for supporting the campaign to get them to the Christmas number one in eloquent tones, they played a blistering live version of 'Killing In The Name Of'. All was going well up to the final few moments, when the inevitable happened and the BBC went into meltdown. Shelagh Fogarty's response? "We asked them not to do that but they did it anyway, so go and buy Joe's record. It's three minutes past nine". Good work all round we say.

Cowell must be pissing himself laughing at everybody buying RATM's record. All anyone is doing is making him money by doing it. Buy another record if you feel that strongly about it.

AFS

Quote from: INDIANA on December 17, 2009, 11:08:18 AM
I suppose none of you dumbos have noticed RATM record label is connected to Simon Cowell? Amazing what a little bit of research does.

Rage are signed to Epic Records which are an operating division of Sony Music Entertainment, which also has an operating division called Syco Music, owned by one Simon Cowell!!

Waken up lads.

:D Knew there had to be a reason for him making comments to stoke up this shit. This is a very silly, not to mention hypocritical, campaign.

redhugh

Waken up lads.

This made me laugh, a lot.

Square Ball

Quote from: Declan on December 17, 2009, 11:20:37 AM

I heard that this morning, it was funny indeed. to add my tuppance I think the record is shite
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

tyrone girl

Im still not getting why the hell the christmas number one matters  :-\ - who gives a shyte  ::) ::)

stpauls

Waken up lads.

i would have thought that Epic Records would make their money from any sales of Killing in the Name, and SyCo Records would make money from the sales of Joe's song, saying as they are 2 different divisions of Sony Records (with them being the only ones to benefit from the sales of both songs), or is that just me being a dumbo?  ::)

AFS

Quote from: tyrone girl on December 17, 2009, 11:33:57 AM
Im still not getting why the hell the christmas number one matters  :-\ - who gives a shyte  ::) ::)

The people Simon Cowell has fooled into thinking its important, which appears to include near on 300,000 on a facebook group.

thejuice

The fact that both acts are connected to Sony and therefore Cowell is not lost on most people on the campaign. I was on the facebook group and people were well aware of this from the start. If you are buying music from any major label, some of the money will find its way to Simon some way or another. He has his fingers in many pies.

People are simply doing this as they sick of the karaoke shite that seems to have taken over popular music. I still think its somewhat worthwhile. I understand the objections and the hypocrysy, but its just a bit of a laugh anyway.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

lfdown2

Quote from: thejuice on December 17, 2009, 11:48:09 AM
The fact that both acts are connected to Sony and therefore Cowell is not lost on most people on the campaign. I was on the facebook group and people were well aware of this from the start. If you are buying music from any major label, some of the money will find its way to Simon some way or another. He has his fingers in many pies.

People are simply doing this as they sick of the karaoke shite that seems to have taken over popular music. I still think its somewhat worthwhile. I understand the objections and the hypocrysy, but its just a bit of a laugh anyway.

exactly, its not a campaign against simon cowell as i see it. it is possible to vote for x factor before now but no way of registering your annoyance at such talentless shite, this is the reason for this campaign, absolutely nothing to do with cowell afaik