Digital Re-tune

Started by illdecide, September 06, 2019, 10:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Same with me JD.

I was recording the highlights on RTE HD last night and I couldn't do anything, sound, change channel etc. Thought it was the batteries but it's whatever is going on.

balladmaker

Was told by a fella in work that the masthead amplifier at the aerial needs to be changed from C/D to group B or wideband due to the Dundalk transmitter changing frequency.  Don't know how accurate that is, but I've same problem with the 800 channels at the minute i.e. Viewer advisory and no programme info.

armaghniac

Quote from: balladmaker on January 27, 2020, 04:42:29 PM
Was told by a fella in work that the masthead amplifier at the aerial needs to be changed from C/D to group B or wideband due to the Dundalk transmitter changing frequency.  Don't know how accurate that is, but I've same problem with the 800 channels at the minute i.e. Viewer advisory and no programme info.

This would affect the strength of the signal, but not give an error.
One idea is to try to tune the channels manually rather than a complete scan. Clarmont Cairn is moving to channels 42 and 45.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 27, 2020, 05:27:46 PM
You can tell if a service is picking up the old or new frequencies as the old frequencies have a full stop at the end of the channel name e.g. "RTÉ One." instead of RTÉ One"
Would a Nordie not take offence at being given an example of what a full stop would look like at the end.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 27, 2020, 05:27:46 PM
The "old" Saorview frequencies are due to be switched off on 4th March. The "new" frequencies, if applicable depending where you live, are already running.

You can tell if a service is picking up the old or new frequencies as the old frequencies have a full stop at the end of the channel name e.g. "RTÉ One." instead of RTÉ One"

In many cases in d'north, adjustments to TV aerials might require a new "diplexer" and maybe a new aerial for cross-border reception. The diplexer combines both aerials to be properly combined into one coax cable into the building, and they work by having each input cover a specific range of frequencies - some in use can't handle the new Saorview frequencies as they are lower than the input of the diplexer to be fed with an "RTÉ" aerial. If your aerials are outdoors, then you have to go at them there.

As a temporary reprieve for reception of RTÉ One, RTÉ2 & TG4, those with Freeview HD equipment (or any TV/STB with a DVB-T2 tuner) can try tuning in to the local multiplex  in NI that carries them. For East of the Bann, as well as Eastern Tyrone and South Derry, go into the receiver menu to do a manual tune and try either channel 33 (570 MHz) or channel 48 (690 MHz). In (most of) Fermanagh and western & northern Tyrone, try instead either channel 30 (546 MHz) or channel 40 (626 MHz).

That seems to be the case, Fionn - even after I have manually retuned - the listing is showing as "RTE One." meaning it's still picking up the old frequency.

As you mention, the local multiplex is showing the channel listings ok, but the saorview versions are the ones i am after.

I am guessing the diplexer replacement is the easiest method to start with rather than looking about new aerials. Is that something i could change myself without getting an Aerial man in? And if so, any recommendations of what one to buy?

JohnDenver

Just bumping this again in the hope that Fionntamhnach might offer some further advice given his expertise in the area  :D

johnnycool

Quote from: JohnDenver on February 04, 2020, 10:19:01 AM
Just bumping this again in the hope that Fionntamhnach might offer some further advice given his expertise in the area  :D

I have the . channels coming from Clermont Carn.

A retune doesn't pick up the new ones....

Do i need a different aerial I wonder!!

JohnDenver

Quote from: johnnycool on February 04, 2020, 02:39:36 PM
Quote from: JohnDenver on February 04, 2020, 10:19:01 AM

I have the . channels coming from Clermont Carn.

A retune doesn't pick up the new ones....

Do i need a different aerial I wonder!!

Yeah i'm in the same boat with the "." channels. Although not necessarily all of the saorview channels which i find strange.

I was hoping a new "diplexer" might be enough rather than new aerials, but i've no idea.

armaghniac

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 05, 2020, 05:33:32 PM
John Denver - the diplexer is almost always installed near the aerials, if the aerials are outside then they will be on the pole holding the aerial. In that scenario, you would have to get to the TV aerials to change the diplexer. You'd need to know what frequency coverage the new diplexer would require, not to mention that depending on the manufacturer they may be clamp connections or connected by F connectors (F connector is what is at the end of a coax cable that connects to the tuner of a satellite receiver. Unless you know what to do and are completely confident of climbing onto a roof etc.** then get someone out who knows what they're doing.

** Obligatory disclaimer about climbing at heights without taking proper precautions & safety steps, as a fall even from a single storey roof can cause death or permanent injury. No more Rod Hull's, please.

Fionntamhnach

Where is a good place to get this type of kit?

Stall the Bailer

For those in the north, if you ring the Freeview helpline about retune they will send someone out free of charge. They put up a new aerial for me last year for free as I lost my soarview channels, still only have some of them as the signal is poor.

armaghniac

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 05, 2020, 07:07:39 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 05, 2020, 05:57:33 PM
Fionntamhnach

Where is a good place to get this type of kit?

For UHF-UHF diplexers, Fringe Electronics still make varying models that they sell themselves online...

https://fringeelectronics.co.uk/diplexers.html

...in fact they seem to be the only manufacturer in the Irish & GB market that still actively makes them. Used to be more popular in the analogue days.

Where Divis/Black Mtn (FV) & Clermont Carn (SV) aerials need to be combined, model number 211-126 is required if one or both aerials need a masthead amplifier, but if neither require it then 211-181 should be OK.

A couple of other sources...

https://www.freetv.ie/uhf-diplexer/

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/product/diplexer-channel-38-uhf-uhf

In the first link, there is only a DC passthrough on input 1, not input 2. If you don't require your signal from Clermont Carn to be boosted with a masthead amp then this isn't an issue.

Make sure the diplexer is a UHF/UHF model, and not a VHF/UHF model (designed to combine and FM or DAB aerial along with a UHF TV aerial) or a TV/SAT diplexer, which is designed to carry both terrestrial TV & satellite signals down the one coax cable (doesn't work for Sky Q though).

Thanks. I have a Fringe Electronics booster and it seems good stuff. In the badlands of South Armagh Divis needs boosted while Clarmont Carn does not. In fact, you don't need a separate Clarmont aerial at all, signal quality is fine on the Divis aerial. I was going to try using some sort of splitter and boost the Divis bands only, this would be inside the roof fairly close to the aerial. I am happy to work on the electronics, but am not climbing on the roof!

Dougal Maguire

If Rod Hull had adopted that attitude he and Emu would still be wreaking havoc today
Careful now

redzone

Champions league is blocked on the  52 (rte2) but is not blocked on 803(rte2). After manual retune it still says viewer advisory. Will a new aerial sort this out
Cheers

armaghniac

Quote from: redzone on February 19, 2020, 09:47:39 PM
Champions league is blocked on the  52 (rte2) but is not blocked on 803(rte2). After manual retune it still says viewer advisory. Will a new aerial sort this out
Cheers

Where are you? A manual retune on the new frequency might do  the trick.

GetOverTheBar

May do this tonight myself, I'm in the North - don't really watch much TV but the RTE/TG4 is handy for the football. The info here will be valuable should I lose anything - much appreciated to the contributors.