Christmas cards

Started by The Iceman, December 19, 2017, 12:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Do you still send them?
I see all these posts on FB "we won't be sending any this year we are donating to charity instead" and then all the other people who don't send cards patting them on the back for a "great idea"...
Whatever happened to sending cards and making a charitable donation?

I know it's a small thing to gripe about or miss but I miss it all the same - I think it's a nice touch to send cards and write a wee note to people you might not have seen in a while.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

bennydorano

Dont think I ever sent/posted a Christmas Card in my life, maybe handed a few over to my close family but that would be the height of it.  It's defintely a dying thing, they used to be falling off the mantlepiece in the house, see about 2 or 3 there at the minute.

Esmarelda

The cost of posting a card/letter has almost doubled in the last few years. Not sure if that's a reason for the fall off.

The Iceman

It's just one more way we lose contact with people. I was asked this week when the last time was I picked up the phone and called a friend instead of texting, or when the last time was I visited someone?
Am I being too nostalgic because of the time of year?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

seafoid

I always send Christmas cards.
E cards are shite.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: The Iceman on December 19, 2017, 12:36:12 PM
It's just one more way we lose contact with people. I was asked this week when the last time was I picked up the phone and called a friend instead of texting, or when the last time was I visited someone?

The phone is a woman thing. You can't beat calling in person, if geographically feasible. Means a lot more. Over the phone is false and cold.

Esmarelda

Quote from: BennyCake on December 19, 2017, 12:41:51 PM

The phone is a woman thing. You can't beat calling in person, if geographically feasible. Means a lot more. Over the phone is false and cold.
But hardly as false as going through a list once a year and sending a card to every name you find.

lurganblue

Quote from: The Iceman on December 19, 2017, 12:19:21 PM
Do you still send them?
I see all these posts on FB "we won't be sending any this year we are donating to charity instead" and then all the other people who don't send cards patting them on the back for a "great idea"...

I know it's a small thing to gripe about or miss but I miss it all the same - I think it's a nice touch to send cards and write a wee note to people you might not have seen in a while.

Yeah saw posts like this recently for the first time. Are people so full of self importance that they think others notice that they didnt receive a card from them or is it that they want the world to know how charitable they may be?

AZOffaly

I still send cards every Christmas. About 40 I'd say between Uncles, Aunts, Friends and Cousins.

playwiththewind1st

Even worse.....I got a docket through the door the other day from the postman, saying they had something for me in the Post Office, it has insufficient postage & could I go to the centre of Belfast, to pick it up, while paying £2 to cover the missing postage? Erm, no, I won't, as it's clearly an Xmas card.

If you post Xmas cards out, AT LEAST PAY THE POSTAGE.

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on December 19, 2017, 12:55:39 PM
Do you still send them?

Yeah saw posts like this recently for the first time. Are people so full of self importance that they think others notice that they didnt receive a card from them or is it that they want the world to know how charitable they may be?

Yes they are full of it. These are the same people who think everyone on Bookface must know they're having a coffee or having a shit.

BennyCake

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 19, 2017, 12:45:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 19, 2017, 12:41:51 PM

But hardly as false as going through a list once a year and sending a card to every name you find.

Well, no. But erm, well... It's just, um... Just feck off  ;D

magpie seanie

I think it's a nice thing to do and I'd hate to see it die away completely. My wife usually does the honours but I've done them (a few left to finish tonight) this year.....a few words I wanted to add due to some things that happened earlier this year.

The quip about donating to charity is BS. I'd say many forget to and the irony is an awful lot of Christmas cards are on sale for charities.

Declan

QuoteI still send cards every Christmas. About 40 I'd say between Uncles, Aunts, Friends and Cousins.
+1 - a nice tradition

Megaman

Do you still send them?

I feel the same, i hate when i see these people post that on facebook, why cant they just do both. >:(