Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Jayop on August 14, 2018, 01:41:06 AM
Just watching it back now and hadn't noticed the deliberate trip on colm after ten minutes. Should have been a black.

Yep called it at the time. I think the only reason he got away with it is because it was so early in the game

Rossfan

The Tom Tommy Carr Rule "Ya can't give a black card in the first 10 minutes"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

square_ball

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 14, 2018, 08:41:56 AM
Just watching it back now and hadn't noticed the deliberate trip on colm after ten minutes. Should have been a black.

Yep called it at the time. I think the only reason he got away with it is because it was so early in the game

That didn't save Michael McKernan against Donegal. He was off after 5 mins. The referee bottled it just.

Hound

dunno why people are so keen to see more black cards. The foul on Cavanaugh was nothing more than that. It was likely a mistimed tackle rather than a deliberate attempt to bring a player to the ground with no attempt to play the ball.

It should be difficult to get a black card. The ref has to be 100% sure the offender was not attempting a fair tackle and was deliberately tripping or pulling a player to the ground.

yellowcard

I don't recall any incident during the game being worthy of a black card other than the McNamee one which was as blatant an example of a black card as you are likely to see.

Norf Tyrone

I called this right after the game if you go back about 12 pages. I thought it was unbelievable that a BC wasn't produced. The ref blew for the free so it wasn't as if he didn't see it.

It was a text book BC decision.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

trueblue1234

Quote from: Hound on August 14, 2018, 08:53:34 AM
dunno why people are so keen to see more black cards. The foul on Cavanaugh was nothing more than that. It was likely a mistimed tackle rather than a deliberate attempt to bring a player to the ground with no attempt to play the ball.

It should be difficult to get a black card. The ref has to be 100% sure the offender was not attempting a fair tackle and was deliberately tripping or pulling a player to the ground.

If it's the same foul I'm thinking of, he tripped Cavanagh up with his hand as Cavanagh was getting away from him. It's a text book black card. Albeit, it was over at the sideline and in the middle of the pitch so didn't have a big impact. But that's obviously irrelevant to the foul.

Edit - Norf got there just before me
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

yellowcard

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 14, 2018, 09:15:23 AM

I called this right after the game if you go back about 12 pages. I thought it was unbelievable that a BC wasn't produced. The ref blew for the free so it wasn't as if he didn't see it.

I'm not saying that you're not correct but I just don't remember the incident that you are referring to. 

straightred

Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2018, 09:20:36 AM

I'm not saying that you're not correct but I just don't remember the incident that you are referring to.
Is it the incident down the corner of the cusack and davin. I didn't think much of it at the time and a BC never crossed my mind,. However, for the purposes of the debate i'll give you the benefit and say it was - they get to bring a sub on anyway so its hardly critical. The uselessness of the BC - that's a whole different thread.

trueblue1234

Quote from: straightred on August 14, 2018, 09:24:24 AM

Is it the incident down the corner of the cusack and davin. I didn't think much of it at the time and a BC never crossed my mind,. However, for the purposes of the debate i'll give you the benefit and say it was - they get to bring a sub on anyway so its hardly critical. The uselessness of the BC - that's a whole different thread.

I think the point is that there is a fair bit of talk about McNamee's potential BC. But not as much about the potential Monaghan one. Both were clear black cards in my book.

imtommygunn

It was a black by the letter of the law. Cavanagh was trying to get him one but the ref was having none of it. I think Monaghan are maybe lacking at corner back so could have been a big blow.

clarshack

Coldrick saw it as well but didn't want to know.

straightred

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 14, 2018, 09:29:25 AM

I think the point is that there is a fair bit of talk about McNamee's potential BC. But not as much about the potential Monaghan one. Both were clear black cards in my book.
For me its yet another attempt to argue that the ref somehow balanced the books with bad decisions. As Paul Kimmage might say "He did in his b*ll*x". Its not just this match either. Its happens regularly and you then get the same old rubbish spouted out afterwards that he was bad but it didn't affect the result. Why not tell it as it is and admit that it did affect the result. He 100% influenced the result on Sunday. He got a series of critical decisions wrong and a number of these led directly to Tyrone scores (a significantly greater number than those that led to Monaghan scores). I wonder will Tyrone folks be so level headed the next time they are shafted by an incompetent ref (because it will happen - sooner or later). I hope some young refs coming through are given an opportunity as this fellow has had his chances

trueblue1234

Quote from: straightred on August 14, 2018, 10:13:29 AM

For me its yet another attempt to argue that the ref somehow balanced the books with bad decisions. As Paul Kimmage might say "He did in his b*ll*x". Its not just this match either. Its happens regularly and you then get the same old rubbish spouted out afterwards that he was bad but it didn't affect the result. Why not tell it as it is and admit that it did affect the result. He 100% influenced the result on Sunday. He got a series of critical decisions wrong and a number of these led directly to Tyrone scores (a significantly greater number than those that led to Monaghan scores). I wonder will Tyrone folks be so level headed the next time they are shafted by an incompetent ref (because it will happen - sooner or later). I hope some young refs coming through are given an opportunity as this fellow has had his chances

I've already said that I think Tyrone got the rub of the green in some of the free counts. But with regards to the black cards, that's not one area Monaghan can complain about.
And Tyrone have been shafted previously. It's not pleasant and I've said I'd have sympathy for the Monaghan supporters as we know only too well what it's like.

trailer

Quote from: straightred on August 14, 2018, 10:13:29 AM

Great teams never complain about the ref. No team ever gets every decision. If this is the Monaghan psyche (and I think it is, given MO'R's comments) then they will never be serious contenders. They were beaten by a team operating at around 60% - 70%. And I'd imagine that hurts, as they probably believed (wrongly) that they could overcome Tyrone, but reality is they're probably 4-5 players short.