Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 13, 2018, 07:18:33 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 13, 2018, 06:03:14 PM
I think a major source of the Monaghan anguish is that their supporters had a real feeling that it was "their time". Tyrone on the other hand were the younger squad with time on their side. You get the feeling that Monaghan are going in the opposite direction to this Tyrone team. Tyrone were there for the taking but getting to an All Ireland final will do wonders for them over the next few years.

I would safely wager that a lot of those Monaghan players will not get so close to an AI Final again. Their veteran harder tacklers will be difficult to replace. We could be looking at a mirror of the slow Donegal decline after losing that final to Kerry as 'softer' players replace those veterans.

I doubt many Monaghan Fans lost the run of themselves in regards an AI title. Most just wanted the magic of seeing their county in an AI Final. Monaghan will dust themselves down and go again. Players will retire, be dropped. But there won't be a conveyour belt of replacements. Why, because Monaghan is a very small county! And punching well above its weight.

Dublin continue to be ''The Problem''. Their dominance, helped by almost every advantageous factor continues to grow the gap between them and the chasing bunch.

What Dublin got do with a Tyrone/Monaghan thread? They didn't even play Monaghan in championship this year.

Jayop

Quote from: J70 on August 13, 2018, 07:26:48 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 13, 2018, 05:33:00 PM
I'd say decent young refs not getting a crack at the bigger games is probably more of a risk to losing them than a bit of analysis.

"A bit of analysis"?? ;D

Well as you've already said the other stuff was always happening, FFS your mate tried to throw a ref into the Finn lol. There's more games on TV now with more cameras and more angles so there's more analysis of refs.

trailer

Christ I was tired after I got home yesterday. A few musings.

Tyrone started like a rocket and let Monaghan back into the game when they had no right to be within 4 points of them at half time never mind level.
McManus was well marshalled and Monaghan struggled to a point without him.
Kieran Hughes probably should've been introduced earlier
Goals win games and Tyrone should've had at least one other when Harte fumbled a ball.
Tyrone had enough in the tank to beat them and the scoreline flattered Monaghan.
Monaghan can blame the ref all they want, but the reality is they weren't good enough.
Tyrone will need to up their game for the final massively. I think they have it in them to do it.
Dublin is a shithole to get out of. The traffic was f**king mental.

yellowcard

I'm not buying this theory that the score line flattered Monaghan. Tyrone were marginally better in the first half but Monaghan grew into the game as the half went on and had missed 2 good goal chances.

I thought Monaghan were marginally the better side in the second half and up until the point where Sludden tucked away the goal, it looked like Monaghan had all the momentum to win the match. Overall there was absolutely nothing between the teams but the result often skews any logical analysis.

imtommygunn

Quote from: yellowcard on August 13, 2018, 09:10:40 PM
I'm not buying this theory that the score line flattered Monaghan. Tyrone were marginally better in the first half but Monaghan grew into the game as the half went on and had missed 2 good goal chances.

I thought Monaghan were marginally the better side in the second half and up until the point where Sludden tucked away the goal, it looked like Monaghan had all the momentum to win the match. Overall there was absolutely nothing between the teams but the result often skews any logical analysis.

Yep that would be my take on it too.

dublin7

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2018, 09:18:15 PM

Tyrone were the better team in the 1st half but the longer the game went on the more Monaghan took over. When Monaghan went in front I thought they'd go on to win as Tyrone's  scores had dried up and they had all the momentum. Beggan  was able to find his players with ease in the 2nd half and the only difference  between the sides was the lucky goal and some very fortuitous frees to Tyrone from the ref.

Jayop

Cunny Funt

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2018, 09:18:15 PM

More or less the same view i had on the match yesterday.

Hound

Very frustrating that the ref played such a big part, and was a huge influence on an All Ireland semi final. Not biased in any way, just poor.

Neither team played as well as they could, but both also hindered by the whistle happy ref. I'd be firmly convinced that Nolan watches very little football in his spare time. His style encouraged everyone to play for frees and i'd say Tyrone played the ref better than Monaghan.

I was hoping for ET, in the hope that one team would kick on and win well, rather than wonder how the game might have went with a different ref. But at the end Monaghan had the chance to work an equaliser and couldn't quite manage it. So well done Tyrone!

clarshack

Quote from: Jayop on August 13, 2018, 09:35:46 PM
+1 on the traffic yesterday. Absolute madness.

Where did yous park? Parked near O'Connell Street and left there around 5.30pm. it was very busy at the port tunnel and then on the M1. Took 3 hours overall to get home that way.

trailer

Think Tyrone are 4-5 points a better team. Reality is Monaghan gave it their all and it wasn't enough. Tyrone weren't as good as they can be. O'Rouke knows this. He knew Monaghan had to have the game of their lives which they did, and Tyrone have an off day which they did. Monaghan had nothing more, hence he focused in on the ref. Monaghan had no more answers.

imtommygunn

If you read back on this thread you might notice it wasn't just o'rourke had an issue with the ref...

ONeill

The Monaghan supporters around me were brilliant before, during and after the game. They were so crushed though at the end. Their feelings must be a bit Mayo-lite.

Tyrone fans were a bit more reserved. The success of the 00s still has an impact.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2018, 10:22:37 PM
If you read back on this thread you might notice it wasn't just o'rourke had an issue with the ref...

If Monaghan think the ref cost them that game, then they'll never win anything. The answers are inside the players. Monaghan didn't have them yesterday. A good effort, but not good enough.

trailer

Quote from: clarshack on August 13, 2018, 10:17:23 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 13, 2018, 09:35:46 PM
+1 on the traffic yesterday. Absolute madness.

Where did yous park? Parked near O'Connell Street and left there around 5.30pm. it was very busy at the port tunnel and then on the M1. Took 3 hours overall to get home that way.

Parked about 5 - 10 mins from the port tunnel. Took nearly 1 hour to get back to it. Was well over 4 hours getting home. I couldn't live in a place with that sort of traffic, how people in Dublin do it I'll never know.