Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

On a separate note where are all the 'sack Mickey Harte for not starting Lee Brennan cause he's brilliant and obviously the missing link in us winning an AI ' posters at this morning???

trueblue1234

I think most Tyrone supporters would agree we prob got the rub of the green yesterday with a few marginal calls that went our way. That happens in sport, and we've been on the wrong of a number in the past as well so we know how annoying it can feel especially in a tight game like this, so to be fair. I'd have sympathy with the Monaghan supporters there.

Where I'd differ is that I still think we were the best team. I though we should never have been in the position we put ourselves in and should have had daylight between the sides at half time. Our defending and breaking at speed was exceptional at times and had we been a bit more reserved with shot selection and more patient in our approach play then we should have tagged on another number of points in that first half. I'd imagine there will be a lot of work to be done in that area over the next 3 weeks as some of the shot selection and decision making was terrible. I know someone earlier mentioned S'ON being involved in the training. I think there needs to be a realisation that S'ON was a special talent and had a fantastic ability to point from anywhere. Our forwards don't have that ability (And it's no disgrace to say so) so we need to ensure we are taking on higher % opportunities. Dublin are generally ruthless in attack, but they don't take on too many hollywood shots when the game is still up for grabs.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

AQMP

A poor quality match in which Tyrone were the better side but nearly blew it with a combination of bad shooting and some terrible decision making summed up by McClure kicking the ball into Beggan's hands with a minute to go.  Have they not watched the Dubs play keep ball?? The ref was worse that atrocious but overall I don't think the result would have been different with a decent ref.

Dubs by 10 in the final.

RedHand88

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 13, 2018, 01:08:21 PM
On a separate note where are all the 'sack Mickey Harte for not starting Lee Brennan cause he's brilliant and obviously the missing link in us winning an AI ' posters at this morning???

Most of those accounts are one person and hes MIA.

tyroneman

Quote from: straightred on August 13, 2018, 12:25:55 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 13, 2018, 11:44:14 AM
Don't think the ref had a decisive impact on the outcome.
You can't, with the benefit of hindsight, right all the wrongs that affected your side, without also doing the same for the other side.
Yesterday, as bad as the ref was, the poor decisions balanced themselves out over the course of the game.

That's Sunday game standard analysis, i.e. lazy. Bit like when a ref takes the lazy way out and books both players for an incident it is clear that there is only one guilty party.

The ref had a mare and the incidents didn't come close to balancing out.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/brian-gavin-referee-nolan-may-look-back-with-regret-861793.html

As myopic an article as I've seen in a long while.

Of course it looks like Monaghan were robbed if the author only cites examples of (alleged) Monaghan injustice.

There were plenty of dodgy calls that Monaghan got (and cards they didn't) that could also have been listed but seem to have been left out.......

There were definitely soft calls - on both sides
There were calls not given, that should have been - on both sides
There were yellow cards given instead of black cards  - on both sides

Overall Tyrone were marginally the better team but it definately could have went either way.

No matter the referee holding his arm up initially - that last play was not a free, not in a million years

yellowcard

The first 5 minutes Tyrone started off like a house on fire and looked as though they were going to blow Monaghan out of the water with some positive football. However they deteriorated badly after this whilst Monaghan themselves never reached anywhere near the levels of some of their previous performances.

My view is that it is down to a combination of nerves knowing what was at stake and the mental/physical fatigue of playing almost every week now for the last 2 months. I think the fear factor though cannot be underestimated. It will have been difficult from Monaghan players to remain sheltered from the hype around the county knowing that they were on the verge of history in reaching an AI final. Similar with this group of Tyrone players many of whom have lost an awful lot of AI semi finals in the last decade. It was a big hurdle to take the next step.

I actually do believe that Tyrone will play a lot better in the final with a bit less pressure on them and with 3 weeks preparation time. I also think that they are better equipped to put up a challenge to Dublin. Harte has yet to lose an AI final which has to count for something in the build up

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on August 13, 2018, 01:31:29 PM
The first 5 minutes Tyrone started off like a house on fire and looked as though they were going to blow Monaghan out of the water with some positive football. However they deteriorated badly after this whilst Monaghan themselves never reached anywhere near the levels of some of their previous performances.

My view is that it is down to a combination of nerves knowing what was at stake and the mental/physical fatigue of playing almost every week now for the last 2 months. I think the fear factor though cannot be underestimated. It will have been difficult from Monaghan players to remain sheltered from the hype around the county knowing that they were on the verge of history in reaching an AI final. Similar with this group of Tyrone players many of whom have lost an awful lot of AI semi finals in the last decade. It was a big hurdle to take the next step.

I actually do believe that Tyrone will play a lot better in the final with a bit less pressure on them and with 3 weeks preparation time. I also think that they are better equipped to put up a challenge to Dublin. Harte has yet to lose an AI final which has to count for something in the build up

Has Gavin ever lost one??

straightred

Quote from: tyroneman on August 13, 2018, 01:25:57 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 13, 2018, 12:25:55 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 13, 2018, 11:44:14 AM
Don't think the ref had a decisive impact on the outcome.
You can't, with the benefit of hindsight, right all the wrongs that affected your side, without also doing the same for the other side.
Yesterday, as bad as the ref was, the poor decisions balanced themselves out over the course of the game.

That's Sunday game standard analysis, i.e. lazy. Bit like when a ref takes the lazy way out and books both players for an incident it is clear that there is only one guilty party.

The ref had a mare and the incidents didn't come close to balancing out.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/brian-gavin-referee-nolan-may-look-back-with-regret-861793.html

As myopic an article as I've seen in a long while.

Of course it looks like Monaghan were robbed if the author only cites examples of (alleged) Monaghan injustice.

There were plenty of dodgy calls that Monaghan got (and cards they didn't) that could also have been listed but seem to have been left out.......

There were definitely soft calls - on both sides
There were calls not given, that should have been - on both sides
There were yellow cards given instead of black cards  - on both sides

Overall Tyrone were marginally the better team but it definately could have went either way.

No matter the referee holding his arm up initially - that last play was not a free, not in a million years
Isnt that the issue though. Harte's and Cavanagh's (to name just 2) were, to use your words "not a free, not in a million years". Both resulted in points. One was diving and the other surprised Harte as much as the rest of us. These bad decisions did have an impact on the outcome. There is no getting away from that fact

SG08

Tyrone were very poor yesterday (With the exception of Colly Cavanagh), its a good job Monaghan are as bad as they are.
if we play like that against the Dubs it will be over at half time.
I would expect Tyrone to have a much better performance though and hopefully put it up to them

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: redhandefender on August 13, 2018, 07:32:26 AM
Incredibly embarrassed for some monaghan folk and their fermanagh man blaming the ref after the game. I thought both teams were poor but we should have been out of sight by half time.

Incredibly imbecile and juvenile comment to come out with.. You're obviously not that old or you might consider the many times that Tyrone were on the wrong end of bad refereeing decisions, most notably Paddy Russell in the 1995 final..

Nobody, including Malachy O'Rourke is blaming Tyrone for Monaghan's defeat, just merely calling out the inconsistencies of the referee to both reward frees and account extra time correctly.

Orchard park

Dublin seem now not to really  Perform for first 20 minutes against docile teams like Rodcommo  or first half against better teams, as they tease out weaknesses. Then the afterburner are turned on in 2nd half.

They know this Tyrone team well and I feel will want to give Harte Tyrone and everyone else a lesson in football. They have been shite in recent finals so will keen to  correct what they would view as underperforming  finals,

No Connolly to rescue them this year and no mention of him at all

Dublin by 6 or 7

yellowcard

Quote from: screenexile on August 13, 2018, 01:42:53 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 13, 2018, 01:31:29 PM

Has Gavin ever lost one??

I think you know the answer to that question. The point I am making is that Mickey Haret has been there and done it even if it was with a completely different group of players. That is slightly different than if it was Malachy O'Rourke taking Monaghan somewhere they have never been before since he will know how to cope with the build up and preparations needed for the biggest game of the season. I don't believe that they will win the match but I do believe that they will produce a much better performance than yesterday and they will need to.   

Jayop

The only clear dive yesterday was Hughes and I've yet to hear a single one of the edits crying about the ref admit that he dived or that that late "foul" was never a free. Cavanagh didn't dive he bought the free by barging and that's not a dive and every player does it. Mcmanus throwing himself to the ground every time there's a touch on his back for the last few years is more of a dive than that.

Zulu

Cavanagh dived alright and it was a blatant one at that. I had a good view of it from my seat in the Hogan and couldn't believe he got the free. You're correct about McManus though. He's a brilliant footballer and a joy to watch but he hit the ground a few times yesterday looking for a free and to be fair to Nolan, he called a lot of them right and didn't give it. Nolan got a whole pile else wrong though.

yellowcard

Cavanagh and McManus are constantly buying free kicks by going to ground easily. McManus in the last 2 matches went down holding his eye after barely getting touched, I think it was an attempt to justify the awarding of the free kick in the first place. Mattie Donnelly is another who exaggerates minimal contact in order to buy the free.