Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 09, 2018, 11:41:38 AM
Quote from: lenny on August 09, 2018, 11:15:50 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 09, 2018, 10:56:37 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 09, 2018, 10:15:27 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 09, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
See McEntee putting pressure on the ref to not give us frees in today's Irish News. 2005 still hurting.

Putting pressure on the ref? Come off it. If you think that referee's at this level read newspaper articles and heed their words of warning, least of all a Wicklow referee reading an Ulster newspaper then you need to catch yourself on. He is simply calling it as he see's it and which is actually a common opinion, nothing to do with 2005.

"Don't give Tyrone frees" is a common opinion?

Don't give Tyrone frees when they've obviously dived is a more common opinion.

Is this for just Tyrone or all teams? Blinkered lennyism again.

It's the Tyrone fans who're blinkered. They can't see that it's their team who dive the most. Other teams have players who dive but Tyrone do so well as a team that it has to be coached. Harte has always used and encouraged it in his reign. Retrospective punishment for divers would be a massive plus for football. One of the reasons hurling is better to watch is there's no diving or sledging and the players respect each other.

nrico2006

Quote from: lenny on August 09, 2018, 12:05:06 PM
See McEntee putting pressure on the ref to not give us frees in today's Irish News. 2005 still hurting.

Putting pressure on the ref? Come off it. If you think that referee's at this level read newspaper articles and heed their words of warning, least of all a Wicklow referee reading an Ulster newspaper then you need to catch yourself on. He is simply calling it as he see's it and which is actually a common opinion, nothing to do with 2005.

It's the Tyrone fans who're blinkered. They can't see that it's their team who dive the most. Other teams have players who dive but Tyrone do so well as a team that it has to be coached. Harte has always used and encouraged it in his reign. Retrospective punishment for divers would be a massive plus for football. One of the reasons hurling is better to watch is there's no diving or sledging and the players respect each other.

Have you any stats or evidence to back up your silly claims?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

RedHand88

Again, please provide evidence of this or GTFO. You have nothing to back up your ridiculously biased claim. Nothing

I pity Derry fans at the minute, knowing they have 6 months of nothing before another spring of struggling with the basement teams of Gaelic football.

Tell me, does it hurt to see Tyrone remain a top team for so long?? Do you ever pine for the glory days of the 90s were you could come within 15 points of us??

BennyHarp

Aye Lenny, but of course Tyrone people will be in some way blinkered when it comes to defending their own team. If you were defending Derry then I'd understand as your illogical points would be offset by your county loyalties. But it's your weird little infatuation with Tyrone that entertains me.
That was never a square ball!!

giveballaghback

Jeremiah O

Lenny you must be very young.
To be fair to our beloved neighbours not only did they win the Sam before us,they were also giving out diving and sledging lessons around that time.Seamus Downey and wee Johnny were 2 of the best around.Fergal P another boy who was good at the slabbering.
And who could forget the jaw breakers Barton and McKeever??
So next time you're giving out about Tyrone you would do well to cast your mind back to your own 'trendsetters' of the early 90's.
Unconquered and unconquerable

The Trap

Seamus Downey still good at it going by a video I saw recently  ;D

lenny

Quote from: Jeremiah O on August 09, 2018, 02:03:48 PM
Lenny you must be very young.
To be fair to our beloved neighbours not only did they win the Sam before us,they were also giving out diving and sledging lessons around that time.Seamus Downey and wee Johnny were 2 of the best around.Fergal P another boy who was good at the slabbering.
And who could forget the jaw breakers Barton and McKeever??
So next time you're giving out about Tyrone you would do well to cast your mind back to your own 'trendsetters' of the early 90's.

Boys, you're all completely biased and blinkered and are burying your heads in the sand while people like harte destroy football. In the 80s and 90s the football was fantastic and was incredibly entertaining. It was manly with all teams playing hard but generally fair and there was respect among players. Nowadays there is no respect. Tyrone aren't the only guilty parties, I've said that before to be fair. However I blame harte for bringing in the cynicism as a team tactic. Previously teams had the odd dirty player and managers turned a blind eye if the player was good enough. Harte brought in diving and sledging as tactics in my opinion. I believe that because almost all the team were at it and it's still the case especially with the diving. Donnelly, mccann, sludden etc all go down far too easily. Mccann got tackled in the chest v donegal, threw his head back and got langan booked. Mccann got treatment for 2 minutes and got up holding and rubbing his neck. He hadn't even been touched there, it was pathetic and shows he's learned nothing from hairgate. I said at the time he would learn nothing also because tyrone people were accepting of that dive, the worst in football history.

yellowcard

Tyrone fans are being very precious about being labelled cynical in the run up to Sunday's match. I also never seen a set of supporters as pre occupied with who is the referee. It is just in their mentality to push the boundaries of the rules to the limit of what they think they can get away with instead of simply playing the game on it's own merits.

"There will be no quarter asked or given between these two rivals, but I had to laugh when I read Dick Clerkin warning Monaghan to be aware of Tyrone's cynical play. It's pretty ironic coming from a man who was well-known for his cynical acts!"

The above comments on their own are fair enough given Dick Clerkin's cynicism but the fact that Philip Jordan made them is fairly ironic given his own history.     

trileacman

I wonder will the managers put any stock in the Healy game. I was very positive after the Monaghan defeat that day  as I thought we'd done a lot of things right. We'd McManus in our arse pocket for 65 mins until he pulled two rabbits from a hat, Skeet had a tremendous game and burnt Drew Wylie, the Hughes lumbered about to no great effect and Bradley was flying until his injury. The goal was a big blow like it was in Ballybofey but we recovered and drew the game level with 5 to play. We looked to have Monaghan on the ropes until McManus started putting them over from the stands.

Where I felt Monaghan won that game that day was

1-Jack Mc Carron was a constant thorn in our side, won ball all match, cathal Mc Carron had to be subbed off him and McKernan had to be sent in to try and shut him down. He was subbed subsequently for McCarthy and I thought "f**k this is the lad who won the sigerson for UCD" but he was actually fairly shite in the last 15 mins. It's interestng now that Conor Mac carthy has leap-frogged McCarron, not something I'd have envisioned but obviously performances in qualifiers has corrected their placing in the squad.

2- Bradley went off and RON came on and was invisible, we played with 14 and 1/2 players for 40 odd minutes. Not solely RONs fault as the outfield players never put the ball into him, keeping trust in the possession game rather than risk driving it in to RON who's a poor ball winner. The wrong man at the wrong time just unfortunately. Coupled with a Brennan performance that was stifled by injury and our attack was blunted on the day.

3- Where Monaghan really won the match and where they outwitted Harte tactically was by crowding the middle 3rd and playing what I would call a high blanket defence. Instead of packing the 45m line back they packed between the two 65s. The first time I seen it done was Mayo against Donegal in 2013 but most teams prefer the traditional deeper blanket defence. By packing the midfield you choke the running game at its source and the only way to counteract it is to overpower  them physically there (unlikely enough 2 Hughes, Vinny, Kearns, Karl and Malone out there). The other, better option is to put the ball over this wall of men and into the space behind them at full forward. I think O'Rourke correctly surmised Tyrone would stick to their running game rather than try to hit 40 yard balls into a forwards hands. Pete, Matty, Meyler, Tiernan, Hampsey, Mc Shane aren't lads who rake 40 yard passs, more often than not they look for the 1-2 to keep the ball moving forward. I think to succeed on Sunday Harte needs to develop a system to counteract Monaghan in the middle 3rd.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

omaghjoe

Quote from: yellowcard on August 09, 2018, 03:37:27 PM
Tyrone fans are being very precious about being labelled cynical in the run up to Sunday's match. I also never seen a set of supporters as pre occupied with who is the referee. It is just in their mentality to push the boundaries of the rules to the limit of what they think they can get away with instead of simply playing the game on it's own merits.

"There will be no quarter asked or given between these two rivals, but I had to laugh when I read Dick Clerkin warning Monaghan to be aware of Tyrone's cynical play. It's pretty ironic coming from a man who was well-known for his cynical acts!"

The above comments on their own are fair enough given Dick Clerkin's cynicism but the fact that Philip Jordan made them is fairly ironic given his own history.     

Listen we know most of you Armagh lads have to stand up and look tough and not show signs of weakness when assaulted by some Lurgan buckie but us Tyrone lads arent as street wise as you lot. So (unless your from Carrickmore) most of us innocent ole fellas go down after getting a box in the mouth.

tyrone08

Quote from: yellowcard on August 09, 2018, 03:37:27 PM

Every team and fan should be asking who the ref is. Common enough fact that some refs are better than others. Tell me this would you want Joe McQuillian to ref this game?? I don't think you would. The man cant even spot the double bounce on 3 different occasions.

trailer

I haven't seen many Derry players dive in this last ten years. Then again I have probably only seen Derry once or twice in this last 10 years. Div 4 teams don't get much coverage.

No team better at the dark arts than Monaghan. Very niggly off the ball, and Kieran Hughes likes to go to ground very handy. Ref will need to be wary of him.

tonto1888

2005 will always hurt. More than 2003