American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Nova Michigan.
That'll be fun!
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Minder

Brandon Cooks traded to the Rams from the Pats, who look to be going all in before they have to give Goff a mega contract
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

TabClear

Quote from: Minder on April 04, 2018, 12:12:28 PM
Brandon Cooks traded to the Rams from the Pats, who look to be going all in before they have to give Goff a mega contract

Any other team but the Pats you would be wondering what is going on with their trades so far.  Losing Butler or Dion Lewis was probably expected. Losing Danny Amendola, Nate Solder and Cook as well means a hell of a lot of talent is gone.

Because it's  the Pats you just accept there is a plan.

Minder

Quote from: TabClear on April 04, 2018, 01:06:40 PM

Any other team but the Pats you would be wondering what is going on with their trades so far.  Losing Butler or Dion Lewis was probably expected. Losing Danny Amendola, Nate Solder and Cook as well means a hell of a lot of talent is gone.

Well they are getting a first rounder in the draft and read earlier they didn't see him as a true #1 receiver & Brady isn't exactly upset about him going
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

The Patriots have 2 1st Rounders, 2 2nd Rounders and a 3rd Rounder. 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. I wonder will they try move up to a top 4 pick?

Or will they try get OBJ from New York?

magpie seanie

Pretty certain they'll take a QB. I'm not so sure they'll trade up. Their WR's are actually still ok. Cooks was/is a difference maker but not enough for them to hold on to him for another year and get nothing for him. I think it's a trade that's good for everyone, bar possibly Cooks himself.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 04:01:01 PM
Pretty certain they'll take a QB. I'm not so sure they'll trade up. Their WR's are actually still ok. Cooks was/is a difference maker but not enough for them to hold on to him for another year and get nothing for him. I think it's a trade that's good for everyone, bar possibly Cooks himself.

They'll not get one of the top ones at 23 I'd say.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2018, 04:03:47 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 04:01:01 PM

They'll not get one of the top ones at 23 I'd say.

They might get who they want though. Brady and Garoppalo were not first round picks as we know. If they feel they need to move up they have the draft capital to do so. They do need to improve on defence though.

AZOffaly

Brady wasn;t a first round pick!!!!??????

:)

Maybe Mason Rudolph will fall that far. I suspect Belichick loves Rosen though.

Syferus

Cooks is going to LA and the best Rams team since the Greatest Show on Turf - they wouldn't have traded for him with one year remaining on his contract if they weren't willing to pay him. If anything the Rams' medium term looks more solid than the Patriots with the two-headed twat both facing down retirement.

TabClear

Quote from: Minder on April 04, 2018, 03:35:40 PM

Well they are getting a first rounder in the draft and read earlier they didn't see him as a true #1 receiver & Brady isn't exactly upset about him going

Thats probably the clincher there. Cooks in himself going isnt necessarily an issue as they got the first round Pick. Replacing Amendola and Solder is going to be key for the Pats. If nothing else it has probably put the Gronk retirement/trade rumours to bed.

Gmac

pats paid cooks 1.5 mil last year but he was due 8.1 this year , they have Edelman coming back too. If they have that many picks they probably feel they can replenish there and will probably sign a free agent wr and a dB. I think they cracks might start showing in New England soon but until they do u can't doubt Bellichick he runs it his way doesn't overpay and it's been working well for a long time

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gmac on April 04, 2018, 04:53:24 PM

pats paid cooks 1.5 mil last year but he was due 8.1 this year , they have Edelman coming back too. If they have that many picks they probably feel they can replenish there and will probably sign a free agent wr and a dB. I think they cracks might start showing in New England soon but until they do u can't doubt Bellichick he runs it his way doesn't overpay and it's been working well for a long time

The cracks have been showing for a while but they still keep getting to Superbowls!

cadhlancian

Quote from: Syferus on April 04, 2018, 04:19:12 PM
Cooks is going to LA and the best Rams team since the Greatest Show on Turf - they wouldn't have traded for him with one year remaining on his contract if they weren't willing to pay him. If anything the Rams' medium term looks more solid than the Patriots with the two-headed twat both facing down retirement.
They can pay him if they like. The Pats got one year , and a decent one at that for a first rounder who they paid 1.5 million. Now, they are recouping their money. At 1.5 million, that was quite a nice rental fee...
The Rams have Aaron Donald , Goff and Gurley ALL on rookie contracts , that will all have to be redid in the next 2 years. They are going for bust over the next 2 years. The Pats are the smartest team in the league by a mile in this regards.....

AZOffaly

Quote from: cadhlancian on April 05, 2018, 02:43:03 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 04, 2018, 04:19:12 PM
They can pay him if they like. The Pats got one year , and a decent one at that for a first rounder who they paid 1.5 million. Now, they are recouping their money. At 1.5 million, that was quite a nice rental fee...
The Rams have Aaron Donald , Goff and Gurley ALL on rookie contracts , that will all have to be redid in the next 2 years. They are going for bust over the next 2 years. The Pats are the smartest team in the league by a mile in this regards.....

They are, but it's a Belichick phenomenon. It's because he can plug and play lads into his system and get unreal production out of them. They can stockpile draft picks, and low ball free agents because he is brilliant at identifying guys that can play in his system, and then free agents sign one or two year deals knowing they have a great chance at a ring. BB (Before Bill) the Patriots were a bit of a joke, and they weren't called the Patsies by long suffering Bostahn fans for nothing. It will be very interesting what happens when he departs.