Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

The sin bin and the three other changes only applies for inter county games not club games in 2019

Taylor

Quote from: Tubberman on January 21, 2019, 02:08:04 PM
Quote from: westbound on January 21, 2019, 02:03:04 PM
Having seen the sin-bin in operation in the Galway V Ros match yesterday, on a practical level, how will club referees manage?

yesterday the first galway black card was after 20 minutes. So you'd expect him back on at 30 minutes. Except in the next few minutes there was a couple of injuries and a 'melee' which all added time. So It was after 30 minutes before sin bin no.1 was over.

In addition, there was a second sin binning for galway after about 32 minutes (galway were down to 13 for a period). But with all the injury time played at the end of the first half, most of the second sin binning period was actually in the first half (even though he was sin binned about 3 minutes before the 35 minutes were due to be up!).

It's going to be very hard for the refs in club matches (where it's hard enough to get an upmire, let alone a linesman as well!) to deal with all this.
I've no problem with the sin bin in theory (and in intercounty matches where there are plenty of officials), but how well will it work in the club game?

I read somewhere yesterday that unlike rugby, the sin bin clock doesn't stop when the ball is out of play.
So in theory, if a player got a black card and another player was injured at the time and there was a break in play for 10 mins, the black carded player would be back on the field for the resumption of play, not having missed anything!

No doubt this will happen throughout the season.

Team A loses a player - 'injured' player from team A goes down injured. Physio takes as long as possible to 'fix' the 'injured' player thus minimising the loss.

Have any of these rule changes been really thought through?

westbound

Having seen the sin-bin in operation in the Galway V Ros match yesterday, on a practical level, how will club referees manage?

yesterday the first galway black card was after 20 minutes. So you'd expect him back on at 30 minutes. Except in the next few minutes there was a couple of injuries and a 'melee' which all added time. So It was after 30 minutes before sin bin no.1 was over.

In addition, there was a second sin binning for galway after about 32 minutes (galway were down to 13 for a period). But with all the injury time played at the end of the first half, most of the second sin binning period was actually in the first half (even though he was sin binned about 3 minutes before the 35 minutes were due to be up!).

It's going to be very hard for the refs in club matches (where it's hard enough to get an upmire, let alone a linesman as well!) to deal with all this.
I've no problem with the sin bin in theory (and in intercounty matches where there are plenty of officials), but how well will it work in the club game?

I read somewhere yesterday that unlike rugby, the sin bin clock doesn't stop when the ball is out of play.
So in theory, if a player got a black card and another player was injured at the time and there was a break in play for 10 mins, the black carded player would be back on the field for the resumption of play, not having missed anything!

I wasn't aware of that. I assumed the sinbin clock would be stopped for an injury or whenever the ref stops his watch (i.e. anything that warrants additional time being added on at the end of the half).

Then surely it pays to have a melee every time you get a black card so. The longer it takes the ref to sort it all out, the shorter the period without the sin-binned player!

Also, what about the additonal time at the end of a half.
Say Player gets black carded after 34 minutes. There are say 3 additonal minutes at the end of the first half. Do those 3 minutes eat into the sinbinned players' time or not?
I.e. is he due back after 9 minutes of the second hald, or 6 minutes of the second half?

westbound

Quote from: delgany on January 21, 2019, 02:15:11 PM
The sin bin and the three other changes only applies for inter county games not club games in 2019

I wasn't aware of that either.

Thanks

Rossfan

The trial rules are for Senior inter County  pre  season tournaments and the NFL (- the handpass one).
Normal rules for all other games.
Planned to hold a Special Congress in the Autumn.
Queries were raised about breaks in play during the sin bin period but it was decided to just leave it as 10 minutes in time as opposed to playing time.
So we can expect plenty of "injuries" and schemozzles throughout the NFL to ate up time.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: Taylor on January 21, 2019, 02:37:16 PM

Team A loses a player - 'injured' player from team A goes down injured. Physio takes as long as possible to 'fix' the 'injured' player thus minimising the loss.

The fact that the kickout rule that is going to be trialled in the league is already on the third version shows just how little thought the rules committee put into the proposed rules.

In all the commentary on the rules I haven't seen any sort of explanation as to how the proposed sin bin rule is going to actually improve the quality of the game.

What will inevitably happen is that sides who go down a man will look to slow down the game as much as possible, so expect increased timewasting and keep-ball, the complete opposite of the supposed aims of the committee.

Combine that with the fact that 10 minutes resting on the bench is a lesser punishment for those individuals who commit black-card offences compared to being ejected from the game completely and it is just pure stupidity in my opinion.

The GAA can't seem to get it's act together in terms of having a proper discipline system in place - instead of protecting and valuing the players who play by the rules, it seems to do all it can to encourage the players and managers to break the rules.

delgany

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 21, 2019, 05:14:14 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 21, 2019, 02:37:16 PM

The fact that the kickout rule that is going to be trialled in the league is already on the third version shows just how little thought the rules committee put into the proposed rules.

In all the commentary on the rules I haven't seen any sort of explanation as to how the proposed sin bin rule is going to actually improve the quality of the game.

What will inevitably happen is that sides who go down a man will look to slow down the game as much as possible, so expect increased timewasting and keep-ball, the complete opposite of the supposed aims of the committee.

Combine that with the fact that 10 minutes resting on the bench is a lesser punishment for those individuals who commit black-card offences compared to being ejected from the game completely and it is just pure stupidity in my opinion.

The GAA can't seem to get it's act together in terms of having a proper discipline system in place - instead of protecting and valuing the players who play by the rules, it seems to do all it can to encourage the players and managers to break the rules.

Matches could become 11 a side   or totally lob sided in terms of numbers on the field  or a non contact sport  with the sin bin rule

Dubhaltach

Quote from: westbound on January 21, 2019, 04:30:43 PM

I wasn't aware of that. I assumed the sinbin clock would be stopped for an injury or whenever the ref stops his watch (i.e. anything that warrants additional time being added on at the end of the half).

Then surely it pays to have a melee every time you get a black card so. The longer it takes the ref to sort it all out, the shorter the period without the sin-binned player!

Also, what about the additonal time at the end of a half.
Say Player gets black carded after 34 minutes. There are say 3 additonal minutes at the end of the first half. Do those 3 minutes eat into the sinbinned players' time or not?
I.e. is he due back after 9 minutes of the second hald, or 6 minutes of the second half?

A rugby-like stopclock would cut out a lot of that shit. Is there any other game in the world where teams regularly start a melee because they know it will benefit them in terms of time keeping?

Yet the rules committee came to the conclusion that the '3 handpass rule' was more of a priority!

Here's 5 areas that, if addressed, would be far more beneficial to the game then the 5 rules that were proposed.

1. A properly defined tackle

2. Enforce the steps rule

3. A Stopclock

4. Immediate yellow card for the prevention of a quick free

5. A free from the 20 metre line for cynical fouls committed anywhere on the pitch

seafoid

Football is a catastrophe

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/referees-had-a-problem-with-experimental-hand-pass-rule-1.3765900

"People felt that whilst it was statistically reducing the hand-passes in the count, it wasn't actually doing what people were hoping it would do – and that was break the actual blanket defence. Other stats that were put on the table were while goals remained similar in the numbers scored, it seemed like points had actually dropped off."
It will be another five years before playing rules can be trialled in a similar method, although rule changes can still be put forward to Congress for approval, without experimentation.

Look at the gap between the dubs and the peleton

D1 Odds via Oddschecker

Dubs             4/7
Kerry            7/1
Tyrone          8/1
Mayo            10/1
Galway         12/1
Monaghan    16/1
Ros             50/1
Cavan          100/1

The game is not gaelic football any more. The ratio of hand passes to kicks was  3.5:1 in the 2018 championship.
It is something based around possession that is closer to rugby league
And it takes years to build a team that can play it which is why the Dubs are supreme
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

DuffleKing

Quote from: seafoid on January 22, 2019, 09:07:04 AM
It will be another five years before playing rules can be trialled in a similar method, although rule changes can still be put forward to Congress for approval, without experimentation.

This really hammers home the ineptitude of this Rules Advisory Committee and the massive opportunity that was wasted with this caper.

Sin bin a no brainer and the Mark has a chance in some form.

What was the point of the other two bar to be seen to be at something?

seafoid

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 22, 2019, 10:08:19 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 22, 2019, 09:07:04 AM

This really hammers home the ineptitude of this Rules Advisory Committee and the massive opportunity that was wasted with this caper.

Sin bin a no brainer and the Mark has a chance in some form.

What was the point of the other two bar to be seen to be at something?

I don't think the GAA is on top of developments in  football at the moment

The handpass to kickpass ratio is a huge problem and it won't fix itself
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2019, 12:09:16 PM
Game is fckd till it becomes FOOTball again.

The game in an ideal world would be a mix of kicking and quick incisive handpassing.

Aimless kicking of the ball and launched high 50/50s is just as frustrating as most handpassing. I am not a rugby fan but pop passes and players "breaking the line" and a fast, quick running game is great to watch.

I would love to see rules that encourage and reward kicking not rules that force you to kick for kickings sake. For me the handpass rule was robbing Peter to pay Paul and not adding any improvement.

Again as always, this is just my own opinion

Throw ball

I wonder would the 3 hand pass rule have lasted longer if it only related to inside your own 45. This might encourage the team that has lost the ball to press higher to regain the ball rather than immediately retreating into their own half.

manfromdelmonte

Its funny, but the quickest way to move a ball up the field and into space for forwards to operate in, has always been to kick pass.

but the easier option is to get teams handpassing the ball to death