Paidi's Bubble Burst

Started by broc landers, February 26, 2007, 09:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broc landers

Paidi's bandwagon came off the rails yesterday at Hyde park where Clare suffered their first competetive defeat of the year.

In fairness it would have defied all logic had Clare won this game. Clare only started training in the new year while Roscommon have been at it since september/october as far as i know. Tommy Craddock who trained Clare last year is training Ros and from speaking to Clare players from last year i know he was highly rated.

Clare played well in the first half into the wind and Roscommon looked to be lacking in heart during this opening period. Saying that they still should have scored 3 goals if their players had composed themselves. Cox especially had a couple of awful missus.
I thought the turning point came late on the first half when Seamus O Neill took out Clare midfielder Ger Quinlan. He ran about 10 yards and kneed Quinlan in the thigh deliberately. After this Quinlan who had been playing reasonably well faded and O Neill powered into the game.

As an aside i must say the Roscommon supporters have somet tongues on them. The abuse an admittedly poor Ref and even their own players got was disgusting from some lads. O Neill was called every name under the sun until he stormed into the game and Cox and Mannion who only came on as a sub had their parentage questioned by their own supporters which i have to say i have never heard before from a team's own supporters. Club rivalries i suppose?? 

stephenite

Quote from: broc landers on February 26, 2007, 09:42:18 AM
Club rivalries i suppose?? 
Not at all Broc, that's just the Rossies for ya

SLIGONIAN

As we are playing Roscommon in the Summer how good are they? Are they still very physical? Oneill is big man and dirty. I expected a tighter scoreline.

Ross fans speak for themselves.. Nobody likes them.. Actually Im suprised you didnt hear they are the all ireland champions chant. Some believe they won the Sam maguire. I like reminding them it was the minor they won.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

broc landers

Sligoman,

From my Clare tinted view of Ros yesterday i wouldn't be overly worried about them come Summer time. They looked like a team lacking on spirit yesterday, especially in the first half, against a poor enough Clare team to be honest. i thought the young Killalea lad at full back was good and O Neill dragged them to victory with a few powerful surges and heneghan was very impressive from frees and play.

O Neill looks like a man who wintered well as they say down here  but he is their talisman so they need to get him fit for Summer tests ahead. Clares full back Conor Whelan would be highly rated but Henehgan gave him the runaround yesterday. Whelan constantly fouled him off the ball but he kept his cool and answered these tactics with his scoring boots.

Mannion wasn't great when he came on and took some fair abuse from his own for his troubles. I wish they had a manager cam ala Sky Sports for Paidi on the line. He is a circus with his posing and running up and down giving out to players.

GallBoss

Club rivalries i suppose?? 

As stephenite said thats not club rivalries that the Rossy scum in one

Rossie11

Dont spare the compliments lads..

cavanmaniac

Cox especially had a couple of awful missus.

Well it serves the fecker right for being so greedy, if you grab every one that's going you're bound to get a few bad apples.

ross matt

Ah the goodwill is touching.....

You're right Stephenite there's nothing worse than supporters abusing their own players ;)!

Rossie11

Sligonian should ye beat us in Connacht semi we will be rooting for you in the final.
Would have no problem with ye crowing or chanting for 6 months.. everyone deserves their day in the sun..

SLIGONIAN

Im not backtracking but there are a few good apples in Roscommon just alot of bad ones. More bad ones in Ross than any other county Ive seen except for Armagh. You are right that everyone deserves there day in the sun but one as to remember with having being to every Sligo championship since 1989 and no silverware you have to forgive me for not knowing what that feels like.

Considering our history Id expect 31 counties to be shouting for us if we got to connaght final. Its more becuase yee feel sorry for us than anything else but I welcome it all the same.

I have to say too we play NY first so I better not get ahead of myself.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rossfan

I have to laugh at the Clare lad talking about O'Neill being dirty .
Six of his lads got yellow cards and a few more got away wih late off the ball stuff etc.
O'Neill is only back training a short while following an operation while Casey is also only getting back to fitness.
We were awful in the first half and middlin in the second against what i thought was the worst Inter County team I ever saw in the Hyde.
Sligoprat neednt worry too much about us in June as we are going nowhere for at least two more years -  but when they win ANYTHING we wont mind if they boast a little.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

When dealing about Roscommon people, remember Mr. Roscommon man??? ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

spectator

When Páidí threw off the jacket mid way through the first half, I thought he must surely be thinking of coming on to give the Bannermen a dig out!

Then again, perhaps it wasn't his 'bubble' but rather his jacket buttons that had burst :)

Whatever, i must say that that was a very green geansai he was sporting in Hyde Park yesterday.

stephenite

Quote from: ross matt on February 26, 2007, 12:38:26 PM
Ah the goodwill is touching.....

You're right Stephenite there's nothing worse than supporters abusing their own players ;)!

;D on the money there Matt, you'd never hear of any of that in Mayo :P