Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: In hiding on July 29, 2019, 11:14:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on July 29, 2019, 10:40:52 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on the minor management team. They should have had the game out of sight at half time and I don't think they got too much wrong tactically. Kerry were just more ruthless when the chances presented themselves.
I agree, I wouldn't blame the u20 management either.

Not really although I would have question marks on how loose and open the u20s were at the back. In saying that Murnaghan wasn't fit to start, Fox went off with an injury after 6 or 7 minutes and Goodwin who replaced Fox was also lost to a black card before the end of the first half.

I think Tyrone would have seen that game out routinely if Oguz hadn't stupidly got himself a red. I think both the u20s and minors lack of discipline let them down.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Redhand Santa

I'd have been critical of some of the minor performances under Devlin in the past but I think the criticism on this occasion is very unfair. He just led us to an u20 ulster title and we only lost out very narrowly to a very strong Cork team at the weekend. Only for the sending off and injuries we'd probably be in the All Ireland final now.

I would always discount someone's opinion when they come on to give out about a county manager whilst only talking about their own club players.

I was surprised though about Quinn getting taken off. He had been average in earlier games but was really good on Sunday. However, perhaps it was injury related and his replacement Conroy looked at least equally as dangerous (though if Quinn was fit he should have replaced someone else).

Overall a good year for the u20's and plenty of talent on the team.

The Sweeper.com

Who from this U20 team will get called up to the Senior panel within the next few years?

Angelo

Quote from: The Sweeper.com on July 30, 2019, 08:57:22 AM
Who from this U20 team will get called up to the Senior panel within the next few years?

Obviously Canavan and Murnaghan have already had call ups.

Sean Og McAleer, Conall Grimes, Oguz and Gormley probably look the most physically ready to make the step up in the near future.

I'd be inclined to let Canavan and Murnaghan stick at the u20s again next year when the Championship cones about.

The_Slug

Word is that 3/4 lads have already been called up to the senior panel, it will be interesting to see if any get some game time against Dublin. Grimes and Gormley are said to be the two new additions

Redhand Santa

Quote from: The_Slug on July 30, 2019, 10:04:51 AM

Word is that 3/4 lads have already been called up to the senior panel, it will be interesting to see if any get some game time against Dublin. Grimes and Gormley are said to be the two new additions

Wouldn't be surprised at that. The panel is quite light due to long term injuries and a few players quitting. Bringing a few young lads in after a decent u20 campaign will help freshen it up and they're good prospects. Would not be shocked if Canavan featured on Sunday at some point.

The_Slug

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 30, 2019, 10:13:05 AM

Wouldn't be surprised at that. The panel is quite light due to long term injuries and a few players quitting. Bringing a few young lads in after a decent u20 campaign will help freshen it up and they're good prospects. Would not be shocked if Canavan featured on Sunday at some point.

I think Gormley would be an excellent option to have at midfield when Cavanagh or Kennedy are injured. I would also like to see Sean Og McAleer get a call up, he was relatively an unknown coming into this year but became quite prolific in terms of scoring and scoring chances created, made sure to make the no.14 jersey his own when given the chance. Worthy of a call up in my view.

Angelo

Quote from: The_Slug on July 30, 2019, 10:26:15 AM

I think Gormley would be an excellent option to have at midfield when Cavanagh or Kennedy are injured. I would also like to see Sean Og McAleer get a call up, he was relatively an unknown coming into this year but became quite prolific in terms of scoring and scoring chances created, made sure to make the no.14 jersey his own when given the chance. Worthy of a call up in my view.

McAleer looks a decent prospect but probably needs to put on a bit more bulk first before he can begin to fight for a place. He's got a nice hit of presence about him as is though.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Angelo on July 30, 2019, 01:38:42 PM
Quote from: The_Slug on July 30, 2019, 10:26:15 AM

McAleer looks a decent prospect but probably needs to put on a bit more bulk first before he can begin to fight for a place. He's got a nice hit of presence about him as is though.
Don't see how Gormley would be worth a place on the senior panel. Oguz has shown more across all the games than him.

skeog

Fantasy stuff if you believe Gormley against the Dublin midfield he would be heading to A&E.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: skeog on July 31, 2019, 09:06:15 AM
Fantasy stuff if you believe Gormley against the Dublin midfield he would be heading to A&E.

Goes for any of them u20s to be honest.

Can you imagine Jonny Coopers eyes light up with a skinny Canavan strolling across to him?

tyrone08

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 31, 2019, 09:54:37 AM

Can you imagine Jonny Coopers eyes light up with a skinny Canavan strolling across to him?

His da wasn't exactly the biggest forward but he was fit for any defender who messed with him.

I would give a few of the u20 lads a 10-15 cameo so that they can get a taste of what it's like.

Redhand Santa

I wouldn't rule Canavan out as having am impact sub role over the next few games. Players are well protected from refs these days so its hard to dish out punishment. If he was coming on he wouldn't be standing in beside Cooper in the full forward line but moving around all over the place trying to get on the ball. I do think he's a year or two away from making a proper impact at senior level but still think he could have a role of some sort.

Norf Tyrone

Everyone has to be mindful of the impact on morale if an U20 strolls in and leapfrogs a lad who had been loyally benchwarming all year. They might flesh out the training but not sure they'll get a lot of game time.

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

under the bar

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 31, 2019, 09:54:37 AM

Jonny Cooper is a bag of piss. One good slap would put manners on him