The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Blueforever

Spiritof86

I see Lar Wall has been recruited by Davy Burke and Roscommon . Would have been a great addition to any Laois coaching role .

Saint88

Kevin Fitzpatrick should be the next Laois manager with Mick Dempsey & Pat Critchley in his back room team.

Why go for the likes of Ger Brennan when you have someone who was twice the player and has put in the hard work at club level.

mountrath1

And has literally won nothing in 4years with his club. Zero progression, negative tactics and you want him managing Laois.

Saint88

If you look at Portlaoise and the players he's got. They are improving despite this. They nearly beat port last year only for a last minute save. They're in a final this year and have improved as the year has progressed. Negative tactics? That's every football team in the country. Don't be naive. We're an average division 4 team. We can only attract unproven former players. Why not try one of our own?

recyclebin

Well it won't be Ger Brennan. Louth have snapped him up.

High Fielder

I think Wooly wrote that Louth were back training a month before Harte departed. Does anyone know if our lads are doing the same?

Saint88

We don't have a manager so they're hardly back training.

High Fielder

I'd say you're right Saint. Looking like another desperation appointment and a rushed preparation for the new season. Truly hopeless

Chrimtain

Quote from: High Fielder on October 03, 2023, 09:13:24 AMI'd say you're right Saint. Looking like another desperation appointment and a rushed preparation for the new season. Truly hopeless

A shambles. You'd have thought that, after the debacle against Down, the early appointment of a credible management team would be a priority. Not so. Any time will do. Useless >:(  :(  :o

Laois Rising

You'd swear by this forum that the appointment of a county manager is an easy business. The county board could make a quick appointment as we know certain names who would be keen to take the job. However, are they of a calibre that will improve things at present. Their track records would suggest not.

Unfortunately, the Laois job is not overly enticing at this present time. Those working on selecting a manager I'm sure behind the scenes are liaising with potential candidates and trying to provide a package that will entice someone of calibre to give the job a crack. I would rather they take the time to find someone right than make a quick appointment simply to have it done.

I would also suggest that Mickey Harte making the surprise decision to step away from Louth may have inadvertently impacted on Laois' recruitment plan.       

High Fielder

Thanks for pointing out the blaringly obvious Laois Rising. You'd think reading your post that they haven't made a dog's dinner of the last two appointments.

Were we really waiting that long on Ger Brennan? Unlikely. If so, thank God for Mickey Harte. Never liked Brennan

The Boy Wonder

We all know Laois football is in a bad place and it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel right now.
High Fielder - any views on whether an inside or outside manager might be best option ? What goals do you think are achievable for our senior football team in the short term under a competent management team ?

High Fielder

Zero expectations whatsoever from my point of view. Something approaching functionality would do for me. It appears even that is too much to expect. Give it to whoever wants it at this stage. It's not like it could get any worse