Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

omaghjoe

My proposal would not be to split Dublin as such rather have them compete in the interpros... they are the 5th province afterall

IF they still wanted to compete in the inter county competition they could do so as a divisional sides.

Continuing with the same format for the SFC is just daft

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

Could bring em back quite easily.

Its not right that the Dubs fans should have to loose their team.

What harm would it be to experiment with them in a new competition? It would at least give us an idea of where the Dubs are really at

GaaFanatic123

This is horse shit, Dublin are better than the rest, deal with it!!

Jinxy

I don't want Dublin to be split.
Yes, they have a massive population but without a significant increase in the number of clubs, their playing numbers at adult level will stay broadly similar.
It does mean that the adult first team squad of 30 in every club is drawn from a larger talent pool, but in absolute terms they don't have a massive advantage in playing numbers relative to other 'big' counties like Cork.
The natural advantages that Dublin has over other counties does not make them invincible.
The unnatural advantages however...
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trailer

If people want Dublin split to make things fair why are they asking for a 3 or 4 way split? If 1.3million people live there to make it on par with Monaghan 60k, Dublin should in theory be split nearly 22 times?

mayoman dan

Calls to split Dublin are bullshit and thats from a Mayo supporter.In all honesty who wants to beat Fingal or North Dublin??? Yes Dublin have too many advantages that need to be looked at but splitting Dublin shouldnt be the answer.Having to play their all ireland quarter and semi finals away from croker would be a start IMO.

MayoBuck

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 13, 2018, 04:47:30 PM
Calls to split Dublin are bullshit and thats from a Mayo supporter.In all honesty who wants to beat Fingal or North Dublin??? Yes Dublin have too many advantages that need to be looked at but splitting Dublin shouldnt be the answer.Having to play their all ireland quarter and semi finals away from croker would be a start IMO.

I think AI semi-finals need to be played in Croker due to capacity. It's the home league games that have to be moved somewhere else as well as Leinster championship games up to the final.

Is it not possible to bump Parnell Park up to 18 or 20k capacity?

Syferus

I want to beat Fingal or South Dublin, y'know actual existing counties in an inter-county sport. That's natural.

Not the rigged game that is fûcking rural counties like Roscommon or Mayo lining up to the take their next flaking from an amalgamation of four counties with a population greater than our province.

Rossfan

Over twice the populaction of our Provincheen.
And we have socceryball and rubby here too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

easytiger95

Quote from: Syferus on September 13, 2018, 06:20:47 PM

I want to beat Fingal or South Dublin, y'know actual existing counties in an inter-county sport. That's natural.

Not the rigged game that is fûcking rural counties like Roscommon or Mayo lining up to the take their next flaking from an amalgamation of four counties with a population greater than our province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Dublin

We're not an amalgamation, those "counties" were created as administrative areas. In the 90s. Not 1890s. 1990s.

Lot of thicks on the board about Dublin these days. Apparently, pointing that out means you are a financial doper, cheat, one-eyed etc.

priceyreilly

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 13, 2018, 06:35:36 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Dublin

We're not an amalgamation, those "counties" were created as administrative areas. In the 90s. Not 1890s. 1990s.

Lot of thicks on the board about Dublin these days. Apparently, pointing that out means you are a financial doper, cheat, one-eyed etc.

No, this is Dublin's financial doping:

Farrandeelin

Fair enough. I agree, but wait until Mayo's population dips below 100,000 and Dublin's tops 2,000,000 - have the GAA any plan for when that happens?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Aristo 60

£66K in deposit interest means a fair few quid in the bank !

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on September 13, 2018, 03:39:42 PM
I don't want Dublin to be split.
Yes, they have a massive population but without a significant increase in the number of clubs, their playing numbers at adult level will stay broadly similar.
It does mean that the adult first team squad of 30 in every club is drawn from a larger talent pool, but in absolute terms they don't have a massive advantage in playing numbers relative to other 'big' counties like Cork.
The natural advantages that Dublin has over other counties does not make them invincible.
The unnatural advantages however...
Fair play Jinxy, you got to the crux of the problem.
The way the Dublin club system are structured is, paradoxically, the county's greatest strength and, at the same time, its greatest weakness. It depends on what you want.
I mean if you start off with about one third of the republic's population, shoehorned into one of the smallest counties in the
country and at the same time, easily the most populous and prosperous one and if the club system is underpinned by a relatively small number of very large clubs, you have the most efficient way of discovering the most talented players from whom the county team is selected.
In horse racing terms, if the horses from the Dublin stable were not mopping up everything in sight, there would be a stewards' enquiry.
Of course, this Dublin team is the most skilful and talented side since the GAA was founded - how could it be otherwise?
Only a small percentage of those who join any club at underage level will make it to the top to play senior football for their particular club.
From there, the county panel is chosen. Throw in the fact that a very efficient, organised talent spotting system will identify the creme de la creme at u20 level or sooner, and the coaching routine from there upwards is the best there is and there can be
only one possible outcome.
I'm not being anti-Dub in any way when I say this, facts are facts no matter how you look at them.
But all this comes at a considerable cost; the drop out rate is phenomenal; easily the highest of all counties north or south.
Some Dublin clubs have been identified as having more juveniles than a number of entire counties but only a small number will ever make it to the top- a matter of the survival of the fittest.
But are huge numbers of club players who will never get near selection for the county team but who would get starting places on many other intercounty teams. Addd in thhe fact that huge clubs are not the way to entice kids to played for them. They are too impersonal for youngsters at the time of life when peers are the most important influences in their lives.

I can't fully understand either why Dublin clubs need a huge injection of funds from anywhere including Central Council in order to survive.  That they can't is crystal clear but the fact that they depend on it for survival is equally obvious.
In common terms, if my piss pot springs a leak, should I carry on using it?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi