Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Everton, who were a joke not long ago, are now top of the league under Carlo Ancelotti

If people can't see the difference good managers make by now...

Lamps hasn't a clue and is also a self absorbed twat

Arteta has Arsenal going very much in the right direction, FA Cup winners already under him and have beaten all the top teams, you can see he definitely has something about him

RedHand88

Quote from: sid waddell on October 04, 2020, 07:08:28 PM
Everton, who were a joke not long ago, are now top of the league under Carlo Ancelotti

Arteta has Arsenal going very much in the right direction, FA Cup winners already under him and have beaten all the top teams, you can see he definitely has something about him

Top of the league after 4 games is completely irrelevant.

sid waddell

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 04, 2020, 07:11:49 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 04, 2020, 07:08:28 PM

Top of the league after 4 games is completely irrelevant.
Irrelevant to what?

You said tonight was a huge chance for Liverpool to go five points ahead of Manchester City

But this is only Liverpool's fourth game

So by what you say, it's irrelevant

But it isn't irrelevant

GetOverTheBar

Jurgen Klopp is widely regarded as the best manager in the world right now.

I wonder if people called him clueless in those first ten years of his career when he won nothing at Mainz?

sid waddell

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 04, 2020, 07:17:37 PM

I wonder if people called him clueless in those first ten years of his career when he won nothing at Mainz?
Comparing Lampard to Klopp as you're doing is fairly clueless

sid waddell

Liverpool 1-0 down at Villa Park

Adrian with a Kepa-like mistake

He'll be Villafied for that at half time

Looks like an Everton-Villa title race

GetOverTheBar

No comparison made.

Just making the point it's very early in the day, management wise to be writing people off, considering.

glens73

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 04, 2020, 07:17:37 PM

Mainz are a relatively small club, not one with bottomless pockets of illicitly obtained money like Chelski have. Klopp is very well thought of from his time at Mainz, and got them promoted to the Bundesliga for the first time ever.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 04, 2020, 06:50:13 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on October 04, 2020, 10:31:28 AM
Frank Lampard's signings are Football Manager esque transfer business. Gossip column purchases under a manager who has so far not portrayed any capability as a manager in the Prem League. Media like him because he is English and his achievements as a player but that will soon fade. He has severe limitations and already his interviews are littered with excuses and 'appeal for time' style statements. He and Solksjaer are poor managers at this level and their teams do not play with any noticeable identity.

Compare this with what Arteta has done at Arsenal already in his short time there. There is a bit more going on in his brain with a vision and a plan of how to improve his players and his team.

Top 4 this season for me:
Liverpool
City
Arsenal
Leicester

What Lampard did at Chelsea last year deserves great credit, a 4th place finish when some had speculated as low as 10th. He's only in his 3rd full season of management. Unfair to compare him to Ole, who has been a manager for many years at this stage.

If Lampard doesn't improve on 4th this year, he'll be sacked, he knows that. That's how Chelsea operate.

Name and shame those idiots. The lowest Chelsea was ever to finish last season was 5th. A manager in charge of a top 5 team finishing 4th in a poor quality league deserved very little credit.

sid waddell

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 04, 2020, 07:25:26 PM
No comparison made.

Just making the point it's very early in the day, management wise to be writing people off, considering.
No comparison apart from the comparison

Lampard is in his second season, you don't get to hang around these days

He got lucky because a load of other clubs were poor last season and limped into the top four with a poor points tally

The league has a lot more depth this season and several teams have got their act together, of the clubs who would be expected to be around Chelsea's level, only Manchester United are currently a shambles

Lampard is a conceited twat and hasn't a clue how to organise a defence, he has a friendly tabloid press behind him and that colours a lot of people's views of him, it's not difficult to see whether a manager has it or doesn't, he doesn't

Chelsea have a squad which should be comfortably top 3 if not top 2 and that's how they should be judged

But they haven't a notion of challenging for the title

laoislad

Should just null and void the league..
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

I think lampard is ok. Dunno why there is so much disdain for him. Granted he can't organise a defense and probably won't last at Chelsea but I think "conceited twat" is probably a bit harsh...

Liverpool and united both getting tanked. A good weekend.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 04, 2020, 08:56:44 PM
I think lampard is ok. Dunno why there is so much disdain for him. Granted he can't organise a defense and probably won't last at Chelsea but I think "conceited twat" is probably a bit harsh...

Liverpool and united both getting tanked. A good weekend.

Fairly ok manager had a decent season last year in tough circumstances playing attacking football playing lots of youth (not by choice). Can he prove himself? Chelsea is probably not the best place but they are giving him what he wants.

Personal attacks on him are strange, a hangover from playing days presumably.

lurganblue

Wow! Stunned by that Villa result.  Before the game I had a small hope for a draw with the Liverpool absentees.

GetOverTheBar

Magnificent stuff from Villa. From last year looking very ropey....they should be fine this year.