Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 29, 2020, 11:53:43 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 29, 2020, 09:10:12 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 29, 2020, 08:48:41 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 29, 2020, 06:07:02 PM
Guardiola is a chequebook manager. He doesn't even compare to Klopp.

I mean this one says it all. Klopp was fairly average in England until......yep, you guessed it, splashed the cash.

Both have been successful in England and in their careers, both are exceptional managers, but lets call a spade a spade.
Lets call a spade a spade. Klopp wasn't fairly average before he "splashed the cash". He got a Liverpool team from Rodgers that were in mid table and got the same team back into the top 4 and to a league cup final.
He then signed Van dijk and got them to a Champions League final. Add Alisson to that and they win it the following year.
Guardiola has spent about a billion quid at man city and about half of that is on defenders. Klopp's net spend at Liverpool is about 1/10 of that of Man City's. So lets call a spade a spade.

This was the Rodgers team that months before had finished 2nd wasn't it?

Klopp has broke two world transfer records whilst in charge (Goalkeeper and Defender) . I don't see what the problem with pointing this out is, especially when you point out Guardiola has spent X amount on defenders, surely you can acknowledge that it's not much different to Klopp really, it would just appear Klopp signings have been more successful in the past few years.

They are both top level managers but let's disregard the propaganda that one team spends and the other doesn't.

The team Rodgers left had finished second 17 months before Klopp came in. And three of it's most important players were already gone. Liverpool were on their knees by that stage, with Rodgers not knowing WTF to do with Firmino, and Benteke hopelessly ill-matched to the team's strengths. Throw in Danny Ings going down with a cruciate in Klopp's first week, and what Klopp took over was very mediocre.

It is not propaganda to talk about what the two managers spend. Yes, Klopp had to spend big on two players to give the team the final leg up, but he also bought extremely well and molded what he inherited and relatively modest purchases into what became a world class team. You didn't see Pep having to rely on the likes of Ragnar Klavans or Simon Mignolets for significant portions of his reign.

GetOverTheBar

That's my point in calling a spade a spade here. Both managers have spent money to "buy success". Every manager spends money.

The crux is people consider Klopp a greater manager than Guardiola is due to him spending less for his success then. Which is fair enough, I can see that argument but I wasn't having this Klopp hasn't spent anything line when you can reel off two world transfer fees for two positions ones at him.

For me Klopp has been the greater manager in England, he's the greater manager right now. But Guardiola has had a much better career. That era at Barca when his team basically changed football, we haven't seen a period like that since, hence why I find it strange that he's being consigned to history here.

lurganblue

Very happy with the Ross Barkley loan deal.  He obviously feels he isn't going to get a crack at it with Chelsea.  With big spending comes big pressure for Frank.

Maroon Manc

Liverpool exceptionally well run which has allowed to buy a few players for huge money but Klopp has a record in the transfer market which we haven't seen since Fergie & Wenger in his prime.

Liverpools ability to achieve excellent transfer fees for players not good enough for them is the reason why Klopp has been backed so well when required.

It was going to take something special for Liverpool to win a title in an era when United/City/Chelsea had so much money. 

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: lurganblue on September 30, 2020, 11:20:47 AM
Very happy with the Ross Barkley loan deal.  He obviously feels he isn't going to get a crack at it with Chelsea.  With big spending comes big pressure for Frank.

Just for the minute, wait to Sancho moves to United....it'll be Operation Target Solskjear in the media thereafter.

shark

Quote from: lurganblue on September 30, 2020, 11:20:47 AM

Villa well covered across the park now, with the exception of left back. A target of 50 points is very realistic.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 30, 2020, 09:07:41 AM
That's my point in calling a spade a spade here. Both managers have spent money to "buy success". Every manager spends money.

The crux is people consider Klopp a greater manager than Guardiola is due to him spending less for his success then. Which is fair enough, I can see that argument but I wasn't having this Klopp hasn't spent anything line when you can reel off two world transfer fees for two positions ones at him.

For me Klopp has been the greater manager in England, he's the greater manager right now. But Guardiola has had a much better career. That era at Barca when his team basically changed football, we haven't seen a period like that since, hence why I find it strange that he's being consigned to history here.

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-man-city-spend-on-defenders-pep-guardiola-428m-man-utd-liverpool-arsenal-spurs-chelsea

When you look at figures like these you appreciate how good Klopp is.

johnnycool

Chelsea have fairly opened the purse;

CHELSEA
INS:
Hakim Ziyech (£36m, Ajax),
Timo Werner (£47.7m, Leipzig),
Xavier Mbuyumba (free, Barcelona),
Ben Chilwell (£45m, Leicester),
Malang Sarr (free, Nice),
Thiago Silva (free, PSG),
Kai Havertz (£71m, Bayer Leverkusen),
Edouard Mendy (£22m, Rennes).

Over £200M of Romans hard earned sponduloks. Frank better get his hands on some silverware and/or get a top 4 finish.

imtommygunn

I don't understand how he can't at least bring someone in to teach them how to defend set pieces. If he doesn't sort this out then any well drilled team have every chance of beating Chelsea and they'll go nowhere. At the minute I suspect they could well be going nowhere. I don't like Chelsea but I do like Lampard so hope he scrapes top 4 lol.

shark

Quote from: johnnycool on September 30, 2020, 01:22:54 PM

CHELSEA
INS:

Over £200M of Romans hard earned sponduloks. Frank better get his hands on some silverware and/or get a top 4 finish.

Chilwell is very good. But then you see that Leicester took that £45m and used 'just' £18m of it to buy Castagne to replace Chilwell. Castagne, albeit on a small sample size of Premier League games, has looked brilliant.

Also, "hard earned"  ;D. Yeltsin's loans for shares scheme wasn't exactly hard work for those who benefited!

square_ball

Going by Leicester fans on Twitter and radio they weren't too bothered about losing Chilwell to Chelsea and delighted to get as much for him. Or Decent enough player but he's a definite upgrade defensively than Alonso.

Armamike

CHELSEA
INS:

All very well bringing in new players but they still have a rookie manager in charge.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armamike on September 30, 2020, 04:26:12 PM

CHELSEA
INS:

All very well bringing in new players but they still have a rookie manager in charge.

Depends on the quality of the manager. Zidane was rookie when he took on the Real Madrid job in 2016.

sid waddell

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 30, 2020, 04:41:06 PM
Quote from: Armamike on September 30, 2020, 04:26:12 PM

CHELSEA
INS:

Depends on the quality of the manager. Zidane was rookie when he took on the Real Madrid job in 2016.

Zidane is a bizarre case

I don't believe he would do well in any other managerial job other than Real Madrid or perhaps the French national team

His major asset as a manager is that he is Zinedine Zidane and that he has a chilled out personality

That makes him ideal for being a faciliatator for a team made up of some of the world's best players

The mere fact of him being Zinedine Zidane carries immense authority, he was the ideal person to handle the ego of Cristiano Ronaldo, because Ronaldo respected him

Juventus are betting on Pirlo being another Zidane, coincidentally Ronaldo is at Juventus now

Milltown Row2

Zidane wasn't that much of a chilled out character when he head butted thon Italian dude!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea