LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 28, 2016, 05:09:46 PM
Quigley got a red card against Antrim in the last game he played or Laois played last year......

Its 100% Sunday 2pm lets hope we can get a few out to support the lads...

Tickets are on sale in downeys and in Mulhalls in Portlaoise and if you buy before Saturday its a fiver less!
O!!  I though red cards applied only to the competition they were received in.

Uisce

My team for Sunday (from what I assume is available):

1. Brody
2. Cotter
3. Timmons
4. D. O'Connor
5. Strong
6. Farrell
7. Seale
8. O'Loughlin
9. Meaney
10. Costello
11. D. Kingston
12. O'Carroll
13. P.Kingston
14. Walsh
15. Cahillane

It was a difficult enough team to pick. Begley, Quigley, Munnelly, Donohor to come back to it too which will strengthen it as it does look a bit weak. Definitely capable of beating Galway but it will be difficult. Hopefully there will be a good crowd in town!

Unlaoised

I'll go with from what I'm hearing and this ain't confirmed yet

1. Brody
2. Seale
3. Timmons
4. Kehoe
5. Strong
6. Farrell
7. Cotter
8. O'Loughlin
9. Meaney
10. Costello
11. D. Kingston
12. O'Carroll
13. P.Kingston
14. Walsh/an other depending on his injury!
15. Cahillane
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

Any news on the team its normally out by now....
LAOIS ABÚ

The Monument Road

Quote from: OTF on January 28, 2016, 06:31:05 PM
Quote from: Unlaoised on January 28, 2016, 05:09:46 PM
Quigley got a red card against Antrim in the last game he played or Laois played last year......

Its 100% Sunday 2pm lets hope we can get a few out to support the lads...

Tickets are on sale in downeys and in Mulhalls in Portlaoise and if you buy before Saturday its a fiver less!
O!!  I though red cards applied only to the competition they were received in.
Thought so as well but he also got a straight red against kildare in the replay...mabe the double red in the one competition has role on punishments for the following year no matter the competition

High Fielder

Terrible performance. Better in second half but it was all over by then. The revolving door of poorer players replacing slightly better players is catching up on us. You'd have to feel for the lads who are there every year and watching as worse players get a place each season. I can't see how that team could avoid relegation. There were at least three starting today who wouldn't get a spot on Division 4 teams

blueandwhite1

Jack Nolan said it all in couple of minutes at half time when I suspect he thought the mike was switched off. 'Horrendous, some of the lads he has out there wouldn't even make a minor team' or something close to that. Manager must take a big chunk of the blame for how badly organized the defence was. He can only play the best players available but the setup sounded a million miles off what is required at inter county level.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

management out of their depth, poor team selection, no discernible set up.....mick and co would have been more suited to a county like Carlow with no expectations.

woolly's tweet about the number of starters linked to the selectors home clubs did hit home today, 4 of them hooked by half time.
take out Kingston and we are a middle table div 3 team, now on a par with offaly.

I cannot start to imagine what Dublin would do to us in the championship judged on that performance today.

OTF

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 31, 2016, 07:45:01 PM
management out of their depth, poor team selection, no discernible set up.....mick and co would have been more suited to a county like Carlow with no expectations.

woolly's tweet about the number of starters linked to the selectors home clubs did hit home today, 4 of them hooked by half time.
take out Kingston and we are a middle table div 3 team, now on a par with offaly.

I cannot start to imagine what Dublin would do to us in the championship judged on that performance today.

Could you post the starting team please.

steven seagal

That first half was a shambles, as bad as anything we've produced in recent years. The reports coming out of the camp in the build up to the game weren't positive but I still didn't expect anything as bad as that. Fitness levels are nowhere near good enough, and the team selection was a bit bizarre IMO. To start three lads in the half forward line with no experience at this level was asking for trouble, and we got plenty of it.

We couldn't track runs at all and their defenders bombed forward at will. I reckon they got around four points from play from their starting six backs, and their first goal came from No 5 running free at the Laois full-back line. Seeing John O'Loughlin at full-forward wasn't a sign of a team that knew what they wanted to do. Lads were moved around all over the place in the hope something would happen. We only really played well once Galway had the game well and truly wrapped up.

Armagh are up next and they are without the Crossmaglen lads so now is as good a time as any to face them. Whether we are fit enough or organised enough to take advantage of that remains to be seen. On the evidence of this we are not, but in recent years we have lurched from disastrous performances to impressive ones in a short space of time, so hopefully we can do that again. I remember a few years ago we got played off the park by Mayo in an opening league game before beating Donegal, in Donegal, the following week. We have to hope we can do that again, but it's a big ask.

steven seagal

OTF, team was as follows

Brody, Kehoe, Timmons, Seale, Strong, Cotter, Dillon, O'Loughlin, Meaney, Jamie Farrell, Nigel Murphy, Alan Farrell, Kingston, O'Carroll, Cahillane. Lillis came in for Seale after about 20 minutes. Trevor Collins, Paul Kingston, Danny O'Reilly and Gary Walsh all came in at half time, and Damien O'Connor came in near the end.

Thewildcat

Quote from: OTF on January 31, 2016, 08:03:57 PM
Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 31, 2016, 07:45:01 PM

Could you post the starting team please.

won't say on par with offaly they have won Sam laois haven't anyway they could be in divison 2 next year as laois head for division 3.

Tony

Calm down. The first half team is nowhere near our proper starting 15. As soon as walsh, lillis,  came on, we looked a lot better.

We were extremely rusty. Galway were sharp from their tournament. We were very sloppy but a lot of lads need to come back. The second half was decent.

Donie, dillon, evan, timmons, walsh were all good. Having begley and quigley, attride back will be huge.

It's January. We're not sharp. Ultimately, i dont think this manager will take us to the next level but we have a stronger panel this year.

The matches in the coming weeks will be a greater indicator of where we're at.

Giovanni

Personally, I'd be very worried by the this display. There were a few things wrong from my perspective. Firstly, the players didn't look fit. I think a few of them must have been carrying injuries, which might account for some of it. But generally, there didn't seem to be either power or stamina in the performance. The second worrying thing was the team selection. Obviously, it'll take a while for some of the new lads to find their feet but leaving off the likes of Paul Kingston, Gary Walsh and Lillis for what was an important game for a new manager just looked a bit bizarre to me. Asking Cahillane to take frees from the 45 yard line and not letting him take the penalty was strange.  Finally, apart from a handful of individuals, there was no evidence that I could see that the team had any kind of cohersion or leadership and problem areas were not identified and resolved quickly enough. The first 45 minutes was one of the poorest displays from a Laois team that I've seen in the last 10 years. The last 25 minutes was really a non-event.

There aren't too many positives to take from it but I thought the displays of Robbie Kehoe (particularly when he started playing more of a sweeper role), Evan O Carroll (who shows good maturity for such a young lad) and Gary Walsh were very good quality. Paul Cahillane showed well too and worked hard. Lillis looked energetic and improved things a great deal when he came on.

But given that you'd expect some kind of an early surge in performance from a new manager, this isn't looking great in my opinion.

Helix

Hopefully we give a good account of ourselves next week in Armagh. Think it's on Setanta Ireland.

Overall a absolutely dire performance. As bad a first half performance in years in OMP. We made Galway look good today, an average side at best (no offense to Galway). God only knows how worse it would have been if Galway had pushed up further for short kickouts. Very bad goals to give away, particularly the 3rd one, seemed to be no communication between Timmons and Brody. The other 2 goals pretty much walked in!
A rude awakening for a few of the debutants today. Hopefully they'll get their chance to put it right the next day.
O carroll, and Gary Walsh when he came on made a difference though Galway took foot off the pedal too for a lot of the second half.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail