All Ireland Cub Title or All Ireland intercounty

Started by the Deel Rover, May 09, 2007, 12:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Louth Exile

It would be a good question to put to the likes of Oisin Mc Conville, what is it 4 club AI and 13 county championships in a row. But despite how consistently good the county have been still only one AI for Armagh!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

BallyhaiseMan

Would have said County a few years ago.
But must say Club now.
As Max said for those of us not good enough for County Senior,nothing could running out on Croker  with you childhood friends and virtually everyone  from your parish there cheering you on.

Farrandeelin

Club for me as well. When I'm in one of my overly optimistic moods, I often dream of Knockmore winning Mayo beating all and sundry in the county, winning Connacht and having another go, like Ballina did at having a stab at Andy Merrigan. However, I'll readily admit we probably won't win the county this year anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

EC Unique

theskull1

Quote from: the colonel on May 09, 2007, 12:43:34 PM
in antrim we have problems that players barely play for the clubs and dont care about meaningless games for the club and would rather play county any day. they love their day getting hammered at croke and 10 minutes on the sunday game

Don't know if too many would agree what that colonel.

Club everytime BTW. We had 4 goes at it and have to live with the ifs buts and mabyes after losing on each occasion. But better to have lost in love than never to have loved at all eh? Thats how I make it through the day anyway :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

BallyhaiseMan

i always thought the problem was the opposite in Antrim,
That some of the Top St Galls/Cargin players concentrated on Club Football and werent bothered about County Football.
Obviously im open to correction.

Eddie Quinn in 1996 for example at midfield dominated for Antrim against Cavan,i thought he had the makings of a top quality Inter County Midfielder.
I never heard of him again.

J70

County for me. I've been away from the club since I played minor, so the personal bonds would not be as great as they once were. Its must easier to follow the county team when you no longer live near the parish.

Captain Scarlet

club club club.

its all well and good getting pats on the back from randomers after an intercounty game but you have your people celebrating after a club success.

you bring the cup back to your local.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

the Deel Rover

ye we won the cup back in 2001 it was some experience bringing the Andy Merrigan cup home. As you said you grew uo with these lads and played football together since under 10's it was brilliant. I think it was Aridan Ronan from kilkenny he had won 4 all irelands but said he would swap them all to win just 1 club title, they lost to Athenry in the final in 2001 but at least he has his 4 AI medals to console him. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

not dure what does it feel like to win an senoir intercounty final  :'(

But i think for exiles because Club is much more local its easier to follow the fortunes of the county side and have it as a badge of identity. the further i am from mayo the bigger the area i have to say im from. Hell one day i even had to say near castlebar bad enough having ballina as part of my address
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: rosnarun on May 11, 2007, 05:08:15 PM

the further i am from mayo the bigger the area i have to say im from. Hell one day i even had to say near castlebar bad enough ...

Hey Rosnarun ya wannabe Fishead ya.  8)

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The True Rebel