Sligo v. New York Official Thread

Started by magpie seanie, April 23, 2007, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Heard all that shit last time about players injured and leaving the panel. That sort of cute hoorism went out with the ark over here so no point wasting yer time with it. Sligo won't be taking anything for granted.

Any word on more important things like what surface the game will be played on and where?

Carmen Stateside

Heard gealic park will be ready as for the surface thats anyones guess!!!
And unless my eyes are going I thought I saw Dan Doona of kerry on crutches yesterday which would be a massive loss!! Darren Corbitt also of Kerry who was my man of the match last year dropped out of the squad a few weeks back not sure if he has returned yet.

magpie seanie

First of all you heard a rumour and then you remembered you'd actually seen it yourself! An easy mistake to make I suppose!

Carmen Stateside

Was hoping someone this side would have replyed with the extent of his injury!
You dont seem very confident Seanie things not going well round Sligo, New york for an upset maybe :o

magpie seanie

Sligo are going along ok bar losing Tony Taylor. I was over there though in 2002 when we were a little fortunate to escape with a win despite having possibly our best side ever (ended up losing All-Ireland Quarter final replay narrowly to eventual winners Armagh). Also, its very hard for the players to remain focussed when all their friends and families are over on a holiday and half pissed watching the game. We've nothing to gain and everything to lose. Our opponents are the complete opposite. Throw in the astroturf and my own suspicious mind and there you have the explanation for my concern.

Perhaps I'm over-fatalistic when we are "favourites" and over optimistic otherwise.

Carmen Stateside

I know every team has these concerns coming out but the main advantage New York had was the size of the pitch!! i think they have shot themselves in the foot by making the field bigger ! If ye can keep your lads out of the pubs before it ye should be fine!

paddypastit

Carmen - you're living on another planet man if you think any intercounty team is in the pub before a championship match these days.

Seanie - while you might say 'you wouold say that' - we were never really in danger the last time in NY and were full value for the 8 pts.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: paddypastit on April 30, 2007, 04:29:22 PM
Carmen - you're living on another planet man if you think any intercounty team is in the pub before a championship match these days.

What :o :o :o sure you couldnt play in Gealic park without a couple in you!! its common practice with us ;D

magpie seanie

Paddy - I think there was only 3 or 4 points in it with 10 minutes to go and our goal was a little on the fortuitous side if I remember correctly. I'm open to though correction as there was beer on the job! I defo remember someone saying with 10 mins to go that we needed to lift it a bit and we did.

Quotewhile you might say 'you wouold say that'

Nah, would have more respect for opinion than that.

Kevin

Seanie, your recollections are correct, beer or no beer. It was close and the goal was a little bit lucky. The best team won in the end, but it was a good close game.

New York tired at the end of the first half and midway through the second half. Fitness contributed to the Sligo victory (as well as class). The first half was a riot to watch though. Sligo kept the kickouts straight down the middle of the field only to have the big Kerryman field the majority of them cleanly and send them back in towards the goals. Was wondering if they would ever change it up. With a little more confidence and patience in front of the sticks by NY and Sligo might have had trouble making up the differential in the end.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Kevin on April 30, 2007, 05:29:58 PM
The first half was a riot to watch though. Sligo kept the kickouts straight down the middle of the field only to have the big Kerryman field the majority of them cleanly and send them back in towards the goals.
Thats the Big Bird O Conner hes worth the admission fee alone ;D Hope to see him there the year again ;D

magpie seanie

I remember him, a huge man altogether. At least our keeper the last time could direct his kickouts if he chose to. Not so sure about the presnt guy in that area.

Kevin

Seemed like a battle of wills to me.

I seem to remember that Sligo's midfielders were no slouches that year either, but O'Connor was a tough nut to crack and he put on a show for a fair bit of the day. Perhaps Sligo felt if they could get their mid-field on top it would demoralize NY. The effect was the opposite if that was the case.

So much for theories - maybe it was that the field was more narrow than Sligo were used to and O'Connor moved more quickly than it looked. Regardless, no matter what, there was our man O'Connor doing his best Charles Barkley imitation - creating the space he needed to catch the kickout.

It was a long time ago...

Looks like the traveling party is in for sunny weather in the mid-60's ... perfect for football, viewing - whatever. Enjoy!

Kevin

So the game is not til the following week...hopefully the pleasant weather holds.

magpie seanie

Weather over here is brilliant and has been for a good while. The ground is rock hard (except in Glanfarne!). The Euro is heading for a record high against the Dollar. Things are looking up!