Sligo v. New York Official Thread

Started by magpie seanie, April 23, 2007, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: baoithe on April 24, 2007, 09:53:52 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 24, 2007, 09:30:34 AM
Sure that'll be great craic altogether - a four hour drive to the match after 2 days on the beer followed by a four hour trip back! This is a total clusterfuck. They are trying it on big time methinks. And they were surprised that Croke Park wouldn't give them millions for Randalls Island? Will it be a NY team or a NY + Boston selection we play? Who knows? Dodgy, very dodgy.

Yeah I know you're right Seanie, it's a bit of a disaster. Why are New York the default nomination to play in the All-Ireland series? It's not so long ago that a clubmate of mine who played over there reckoned that a Boston selection would be as good as, if not better than, a New York selection. Maybe he was being generous to his lads though.
Because boston arent a county board , USA is
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

CSC

About RIGGs, Croke Parks involvement with RIGGs is the reason why we are in this mess. The RIGGs board had come up with a great business plan and approached CP for backing. CP saw how great the potential was and tried to pull the ownership of the project over to themselves. After this the RIGG's board actually received an offer in writing from a major american corporation offering 32 million dollars support but CP wouldn't back it as a major part of the plan was to faciliate soccer and rugby. So where Kelly was using all his poticial powers to open up Croke Park, he shut down the most imaginative project in GAA's history.The result was, after the delays CP enforced onto the project, they missed a target date and the offer was taken off the table, to be taken up 100% by soccer.

Just to understand the size of the issue, NYC were offered use of land that was valued at 2 billion dollars.

The result, we play on a pitch we don't have any rights too, we are pumping in approx 2 million dollars to change the field to astroturf, and we will have to pay 500K dollars rental fees each year afterwards. And of course Silgo haven't a clue where the games going to be played!!!!!

That's the GAA for you

magpie seanie

QuoteThat's the GAA for you

Nope, that NYGAA for you.

Why should the GAA plough money into something they've no control over? It doesn't and shouldn't happen. RIGG's seemed like a flawed plan to me.

All that aside where is the game? I hear the astro is being laid today. If ye manage to beat us how do ye fancy yer chances against the Rossies in the Hyde?

CSC

Part of the RIGGs business plan was that it had to raise 4 million dollars, and approached CP for backing. It was to be run as a business with money coming back into NYGAA and CP. All the groud work was done by the RIGG's board and the stumbling block was that CP wanted more money for less investment. The fact that the other main reason for the breakdown was soccer and rugby using the facilities.

Where will the match be played?? I don't know, all i heard was that they (NYGAA)  have a plan B. If the weather stayed good there is a possibility of the match happening in GP. The astroturf is probabily like that in Ballymun Kickhams. It has a grass type feel to it, but definently sore if you fall to the ground.

I though iniatially that plan B was boston, but I am hearing a lot of noises that that wont happen. A lot of the Bronx lads thought that they needed a passport to get to Randals island, so god knows how they are going to get to Boston

new devil

boston isnt even an option,nickey brennan was out here a few weeks ago and said under no circumstances would it be played in boston... yes the field is getting laid today, the hold-up was getting permits fot the lighting, new york are going too play boston this sunday, and dont worry sligo fans theres no way new york and boston would join up too play yours! ;D

SuperHans

Who do NY have playin for them this year? Is your man anthony rooney still there? dont know too many others

boston

Sure that'll be great craic altogether - a four hour drive to the match after 2 days on the beer followed by a four hour trip back! This is a total clusterfuck. They are trying it on big time methinks. And they were surprised that Croke Park wouldn't give them millions for Randalls Island? Will it be a NY team or a NY + Boston selection we play? Who knows? Dodgy, very dodgy.

Yeah I know you're right Seanie, it's a bit of a disaster. Why are New York the default nomination to play in the All-Ireland series? It's not so long ago that a clubmate of mine who played over there reckoned that a Boston selection would be as good as, if not better than, a New York selection. Maybe he was being generous to his lads though.

The Boston selection has beaten new york I think on the last 3-4 Occasions, they dont always have the best players just who ever is avaliable that given weekend- Boston cant plan in the All Ireland as they are only a Division of the North American County - which could play in the All Ireland - but would be a disaster to organise players from all over NA for training etc....

Gnevin

Quote from: boston on April 25, 2007, 10:11:09 PM

The Boston selection has beaten new york I think on the last 3-4 Occasions, they dont always have the best players just who ever is avaliable that given weekend- Boston cant plan in the All Ireland as they are only a Division of the North American County - which could play in the All Ireland - but would be a disaster to organise players from all over NA for training etc....
Why not go down the British route and have the North American board become a provincal board and the 9 division (is it still 9? ) become counties ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Kerry Mike

Hoganstand have the story today that the pitch in Gaelic Park may not be ready for the Sligo game.

QuoteFears are growing that Gaelic Park will not be able to host the Connacht SFC first round clash between New York and Sligo on May 13 because of delays to the laying of a new synthetic pitch.

The new playing surface, along with new floodlights, is to be installed at the Bronx venue as part of a $3 million development scheme. However, work on the laying of the new pitch still hadn't started in recent days, prompting fears that the surface won't be ready to host the Connacht championship opener in just over two weeks' time.

Delegates from the Connacht Council and the Sligo county board expressed concern about Gaelic Park's readiness when they met with New York officials at the GAA's annual Congress two weeks ago. Since then, they have been in regular contact on the issue.

"We have been in daily contact with the New York board and those contacts will be maintained," said Connacht Council secretary John Prenty.

"There is some concern over the matter but we have been given assurances that the pitch will be ready for the Sligo game and we are expecting more definite confirmation later in the week."

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

SLIGONIAN

I posted this on Hoganstand yday and  its still not up so I presume they took on themselves to take credit for it. Its and article from the Sligo Champion but as long as Sligo Gaels find out what the story who cares. It sounds 50/50 at this stage.

The Connacht Council of the GAA has confirmed to THE SLIGO CHAMPION that it is in daily contact with the New York County Board regarding concerns over the pitch at the Gaelic Grounds which is scheduled to host Sligo's opening game in the Connacht Championship on May 13th.

A new synthetic playing surface and floodlights are to be installed at the Gaelic Grounds in New York as part of a 3 million dollar development scheme. But work on the laying of the new pitch still hadn't commenced up to the start of this week, giving rise to fears that the surface won't be ready to host the Sligo v New York Championship clash in just over two weeks time.

Delegates from the Connacht Council and the Sligo County Board expressed concern over the issue when they met with New York officials at the GAA Congress in Dublin two weeks ago.

Since then, there has been 'daily contact' between the Connacht Council and New York GAA.

Connacht Council Secretary, Mr. John Prenty, confirmed that there was some concern over the delay in laying the new synthetic pitch at the Gaelic Grounds but added that the New York Board had given an assurance that the grounds would be ready in time to host the Sligo match.

The new pitch cannot be laid until the base structures for the floodlights were put in place and Mr. Prenty said the Connacht Council understood that this work would start this week.

It is estimated that it will take about eighteen days to lay the new playing surface after work gets under way.

"We have been in daily contact with the New York Board and those contacts will be maintained. There is some concern over the matter but we have been given assurances that the pitch will be ready for the Sligo game and we are expecting more definitive confirmation later this week", Mr. Prenty said.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

It makes no odds either way - this time two weeks I'll be on the plane just about to arrive in NYC. I don't have much evidence to base this hunch on but indulge me. I reckon Gaelic Park won't be ready and the game will be played at an alternative venue (grass hopefully!). So long as we win it won't really matter in the end up but if I were a player or part of the management setup I'd be fairly tense.

SLIGONIAN

Fair play...I was there last time but not going this time. It'll be my first championship game to miss since 1989. My heart will definitly be there though. I wouldnt worry too much yet and hope things work out for all parties especially the fans who spent good money to go. Dont on of these GAA fans who goes over and only sees the inside of a pub. Me and my DAD did and seen alot in 4 days. Pitch is 1 hr from manhatton. Weather should be class. Empire State building at night, madison sq garden, times sq, train station, National history museum, statue of liberty, ellis island etc...The subway is handy. We did alot of walking because the building are spectactular to look at. But were wrecked so I advise first thing get bus tour. After match do isnt that great so avoid it I adivise. jfk IS 1.5 hrs from manhatton but when you come over the bridge it ll be some sight. Anyway Forgive me if youve been there already and enjoy. Great memories. Sligo to win by 9pts I reckon. 0-18 to 0-9.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Yeah, was there in 2002 myself and have been back since so a lot of the tourist boxes have been ticked. Great place. I'm absolutely not a city person but I love New York. Heading up to visit the bro in Chicago on the Monday after for a week too so it'll be a great trip.

Rumour has it that the after match do is in Rory Dolans and a different set up to 2002. We didn't bother our holes with it in 2002 and I think a lot of the players would have favoured our plans for the night over what they had. I suppose there are a few yankee dollars to be picked up over there though so important that all sides are looked after.

paddypastit

Not going myself this time either - family ties!  Read in the Champeen - I think -a few weeks back that the after match gig is in Rory Dolans this time around.  The after match the last time was a joke - 1,200 people but chaotic, left as soon as I could after the formalities, not even sure if I waited for the meal!!
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Carmen Stateside

Heard a rumour that New Yorks best player is on crutches and that the best defender from last years game left the panel!!! What about Big Bird o conner will he be making an appearence! If sligo cant win this by 10 points they may forget about it!