Sligo v. New York Official Thread

Started by magpie seanie, April 23, 2007, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Well folks she's creeping up on us big time (three weeks yesterday). Huge worries about the pitch in NY. It seems the game is going to be played on astroturf which is hardly acceptable. Gaelic Park supposedly resembles a quarry at the moment. Our county board should be vigilant but regardless if its played in a dust bowl or not we have to take care of business.

baoithe

So is the game going to be played in Gaelic Park? If not, where is the astroturf pitch they will play it on?
It doesn't seem like five years since the last trip. What a session. Thought the function afterwards wasn't great but otherwise had a great laugh.

magpie seanie

According to what I hear the synthetic pitch is being laid this week! It's surreal stuff. Can you imagine if it was Mayo or Galway that were going over - the journos would be all over it. It's a disgrace. In the GAA some animals are more equal than others.

Owenmoresider

Will it be ready in that time? There was serious doubts about this alright, have Connacht Council been given assurances I wonder?

Will be a tough one, but not as dangerous as it would had they gone down in Aughrim. Should win by a few points. Will not be making the journey unfortunately. >:(

magpie seanie

Connacht Council really need to stand up and be counted on this one. If they cannot find a grass field to host this game they should not be in the competition. We might "only" be Sligo as I've often heard in the past but our players are putting in as much effort as every other county and they do not deserve to be treated this shoddily. It's no wonder with the gangsters involved in NYGAA that Croke Park vetoed RIGGS.

paddypastit

I heard mention of Rockland County as an alternative but that has no spectator facilitiies.  My source was beintg fed from NY. SM2 - can you enlighten us. 
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

new devil

Talk about playing it in the catskill mountains....also boston was talked about, its a f**k up...sligo shouldnt come out, the whole thing is a joke

J70

Quote from: new devil on April 24, 2007, 01:03:10 AM
Talk about playing it in the catskill mountains....also boston was talked about, its a f**k up...sligo shouldnt come out, the whole thing is a joke

Where in the Catskills?

dublinfella

is it time for the annual debate about whether NY should be in the AIC?  ;D

new devil

Not sure, i no theres a pitch its about 2 hours from the bronx, dont think rockland is even an option

baoithe

The facilities in Canton (Boston) are great. Its only about four(-ish) hours up the road from New York.

http://www.bostongaa.org/facility.html

magpie seanie

Sure that'll be great craic altogether - a four hour drive to the match after 2 days on the beer followed by a four hour trip back! This is a total clusterfuck. They are trying it on big time methinks. And they were surprised that Croke Park wouldn't give them millions for Randalls Island? Will it be a NY team or a NY + Boston selection we play? Who knows? Dodgy, very dodgy.

SLIGONIAN

Well lads its worrying hearing about this pitch scernario. Jees got some fright the first 5  mins 5 yrs ago. Some craic over there. The after match function wasnt great but its some place NY.

What are NY like this yr? Always the unknown qty. Cant afford to get caught out.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

baoithe

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 24, 2007, 09:30:34 AM
Sure that'll be great craic altogether - a four hour drive to the match after 2 days on the beer followed by a four hour trip back! This is a total clusterfuck. They are trying it on big time methinks. And they were surprised that Croke Park wouldn't give them millions for Randalls Island? Will it be a NY team or a NY + Boston selection we play? Who knows? Dodgy, very dodgy.

Yeah I know you're right Seanie, it's a bit of a disaster. Why are New York the default nomination to play in the All-Ireland series? It's not so long ago that a clubmate of mine who played over there reckoned that a Boston selection would be as good as, if not better than, a New York selection. Maybe he was being generous to his lads though.

magpie seanie

I heard that Boston beat New York last year and the year before in challenge matches pre Connacht championship. The standard is supposed to be better in Boston.